Sponsored

Maverick Hybrid - Can someone explain the the gauge on the far left please?

OP
OP
D Janke

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat !
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ah hah! I wasn't the only one with questions and suspicions regarding the mysterious "left gauge" LoL. I'm really glad I started up this thread. It's been very helpful for me and seemingly others.
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Call me dumb, but I've driven my Mav Hybrid for nearly 11 months now, and I still don't understand the
significance of the left dash gauge that shows battery in green and power in white.
Anyone have an explanation for me so I can better know what I'm looking at and what it's showing me?

Thank you in advance, and btw --> Merry Christmas!
I remember getting pissed off at Prius drivers with their eyes glued to that gauge. When I get my hybrid I hope I'm not gonna be one of "those".

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is that is the "friction brake" area, where you've commanded (via brake pedal pressure) more braking power that the regenerative braking (charging) provides. Therefore, this is the inefficient (albeit often necessary) mode of stopping/slowing.

I try to regulate my brake pedal pressure to "keep it in the green" as long as possible while slowing, although not always possible due to traffic and/or signal timing.

I do this as inconspicuously as possible, knowing that hyper-milers (style of driving) can be annoying in traffic flow. Don''t want to be that.
Just came back from a drive and the gauge does not enter the white part at any time when braking.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just came back from a drive and the gauge does not enter the white part at any time when braking.
Ok, I read your post and went for another drive to see if I was mistaken in my recollection.

I was. You are correct, it only goes to the white line during maximum friction braking, not into the white area.
As much as I've glanced at that needle while slowing/stopping, my detailed memory was erroneous.
Thanks for pointing that out. I hate to have mislead anyone.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, I read your post and went for another drive to see if I was mistaken in my recollection.

I was. You are correct, it only goes to the white line during maximum friction braking, not into the white area.
As much as I've glanced at that needle while slowing/stopping, my detailed memory was erroneous.
Thanks for pointing that out. I hate to have mislead anyone.
No worries at all - I was happy to investigate. I would be cool if it went into the white. I really appreciate the help. That's what its all about. Thank You Red Ryder.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think I've seen it dip into there while driving. Maybe it will dip in there if the system considers the battery charged and you are braking?
I have never seen it do that in my 3,000 miles.

But, 3,000 miles isn't at all that much.
Video it or take good mental notes next time you see it and report back. 😎

STUFF2C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bunch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No worries at all - I was happy to investigate. I would be cool if it went into the white. I really appreciate the help. That's what its all about. Thank You Red Ryder.
Yeah, after thinking about it I practice keeping it high in the green, the closer you get to the white the less efficient (more friction braking).

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, after thinking about it I practice keeping it high in the green, the closer you get to the white the less efficient (more friction braking).
Well, if the needle is not on Max. you are not using friction braking. I find it a helpful gauge. 👍🏻