First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am a long hauler, and many of you will just say goodbye and that is fine. I ordered my Maverick 9/4/21. My wife’s car had started leaking through the Pano roof (Sportwagen) but it has been dry in California so I figured we could wait. In my dealers defense, my sales person texted me every Monday at 9 am to tell me it was not scheduled. Ok- we ride it out. And wait.
We got a build date in November, and got really excited! My box of stuff I had gotten for my truck moved into the living room. And then we got pushed. We have at this point waited a year, and seen the same vehicle delivered over and over.
Around early December, I started seeing trucks delivered that were ordered in the one week window orders were opened, while I still had a fake build date (I think it was January 9th- whatever day it was I had to call my dealer and tell them how to convert my order to 2023 so they could sell me less than what I had ordered 16 months prior, and folks with new orders were getting their trucks).
I guess I got pissed after 16 months and went and looked at a Niro. Guy handed me the keys. I sat in the car…he told me to drive it. I have never done any of that in a Maverick. After 16 months. I liked the Niro- hated the 6k ADM, so I found a dealer that offered the trim I wanted at MSRP. Three days and I had the car.
It gets 48.9 mpg average and we love it….
But my truck. Finally got a build date for February, got it this Friday. I cannot afford it now that we have a new car- but there it is at long last unless it gets pushed again. 17 months without a test drive? At what point do we call Ford on this bullshit? I guess if they are still selling like they are and we have nothing, but there is something seriously wrong with how this company is doing things. How long can Ford pull this for every model?!
Sponsored

Last edited:

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So you waited 16 months for an extremely in demand vehicle - you had a VIN# and a BUILD DATE (even if it got pushed) - you "got pissed" and even though the only thing apparently forcing a new vehicle is a leaky sunroof - and went out and bought a Kia Niro?

I can't get mad at Ford for your impulsive decisions.

I really hope you enjoy that Niro as much as someone is going to enjoy your XLT Hybrid.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You should make a nice profit on selling your Maverick. Some of your points are valid Id say such as the random way some trucks are built and some arent - the allocation system is BS - with all things equal it should be first ordered first out however from reading the forum we know that aint the case. I ordered in August and waited nearly a year and now waiting on another XL that probably will not get built and from my original dealer I heard zero - nothing nada. I saw you on the forum way back so you had to know it was screwed up and the demand for the Maverick was off the chart. Nothing will change with Ford until there is competition. Yes it certainly sucked for you but now you can either sell the Niro and probably get what you paid for it and drive the Maverick which you should have gotten a pretty good deal on the rollover discount or contact Carmigo, Carvana, or any other car buying service. To answer your last question - How long can Ford pull this for every model?! Until demand is below supply.

C J Cox

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@ OP
No snarky comment here, just a question. Did you look at the Hyundai Santa Cruz? If so, why not one of those?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All ford really needs to do is prioritize early orders and be more transparent about the custom order process. People that have been waiting for a year need to be bumped to the front of the line, simple as that. Then again, some people with bronco orders have been waiting 2 years. It's not clear why ford thinks that's ok.

I guess they figure people willing to wait that long will put up with anything. All I can say about that is If I have a major problem with my mav it's getting traded in. I like it a lot, but I'm not willing to deal with repeated reliability issues. Been back to the dealer twice and am still waiting on the air bag recall.

Stive

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Lexus RX350, Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They probably don’t want you to come in the showroom with a snake and mask on!

Anyway, your point is well documented on this forum. It is no surprise to use at what appears to be either random or combinations of allocations, constraints, favored, you name it system. That in no way makes the process right, but it is what it is. I believe the system should be FIFO (first in first out). The caveat would be constraints. I waited half as long as you and it seemed like forever. Fortunately, I was not in dire straits for it at the time. When individuals go from a truck to a car in their purchase, to me it seems like there is something missing. It looks like mpg’s was the main criteria. I wanted this truck and nothing else. That does not work for everyone. Your case (and many others) is sad. You should have been pushed in the front of the line. If you really want the truck, perhaps trading or selling your car will help offset the wait.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is always room for improvement. With that said... I wish the process was better documented in a FAQ or something, mostly so people know what they are up against. Constraints, Allocations, Shipping process, and maybe a generic explanation of how allocations work to balance it all out.

What I have learned with my Bronco and Maverick experience, I could write a rather detailed post on it all. I wouldn't be 100% sure of it's accuracy, but with how I understand it, I know some will have to wait, others will get ridiculously lucky like I did, and others will be somewhere between those two points.

All I can say is - have patience on any custom order right now. Its not Ford specific. Depending on the options, you can hit this with most brands right now unless you take something as-configured off the lot which may not actually have all the options you want.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just depends on what you want and will settle for + timing + location + dealerships used. Our hybrid took a nearly year to receive having ordered June 2021 and received May 2022.
Meantime I found a EB FX4 on a lot on Santa Fe w/ no markups after lots of time searching Ford inventory site and a million phone calls to dealerships. I towed it home with our 04 F150 we had at the time.
When the hybrid came I sold the EB several thousand over MSRP.
Hybrid timing coincided with 0% for 3yr Ford Credit so I paid about 40% upfront and financed the rest.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All ford really needs to do is prioritize early orders and be more transparent about the custom order process. People that have been waiting for a year need to be bumped to the front of the line, simple as that. Then again, some people with bronco orders have been waiting 2 years. It's not clear why ford thinks that's ok.
[Citation needed.]

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only unexplained thing I see in the opening post is how you managed to avoid finding a simple test drive for 17 months? Then bought accessories too? Would be tragic if you actually drove 1 and you or the wife didn't like it. Could have ended your suffering long ago in that case and let you move on with no regrets.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you're happy with your current purchase, just leave this whole mess behind you, and never look back. No reason to keep questioning everything and torturing yourself. Be glad you can walk away happy. 🤠

(The reason the whole Maverick/Bronco/Lightning/etc.. process is so FUBAR has been explained ad nauseam in every forum for years/months. It hasn't changed. When you mix supply chain shortages, hot selling vehicles, and an outdated sales model, this is the result.)

zendog

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2023 Maverick Lariat (hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only unexplained thing I see in the opening post is how you managed to avoid finding a simple test drive for 17 months?
I can't answer that for the op, but I have an order and just asked my dealer if I could come by for a test drive with my wife. His answer was the only one's they had there were people's orders so we could sit in one but not drive it. This is a major dealership, currently listing 21 Mavericks for sale, some incoming, but many supposedly on the lot with $5K and up ADM. I asked about those and he said they were all orders - sure seems like a lie to me or why are they listing them for sale? The only thing I could think is that if they realize if they annoy me enough and I cancel they get to sell mine at an added profit.

Since my wife has a different last name I was thinking of just showing up as a new customer and getting a different salesperson and seeing what happened. Either way, it gives you a pretty bad feeling about the dealership.

This would be my first truck and I know I'd enjoy it, but it isn't anything I need for work, etc. and I can always get one of those rental trucks from Home Depot if I need to haul a lot of stuff. Plus since my order is for a hybrid so who knows if I'll actually get it.

Funny thing is I was just thinking about a hybrid Niro. It seems like I can get a hybrid Niro at MSRP and dealers have them in stock.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't answer that for the op, but I have an order and just asked my dealer if I could come by for a test drive with my wife. His answer was the only one's they had there were people's orders so we could sit in one but not drive it. This is a major dealership, currently listing 21 Mavericks for sale, some incoming, but many supposedly on the lot with $5K and up ADM. I asked about those and he said they were all orders - sure seems like a lie to me or why are they listing them for sale? The only thing I could think is that if they realize if they annoy me enough and I cancel they get to sell mine at an added profit.

Since my wife has a different last name I was thinking of just showing up as a new customer and getting a different salesperson and seeing what happened. Either way, it gives you a pretty bad feeling about the dealership.

This would be my first truck and I know I'd enjoy it, but it isn't anything I need for work, etc. and I can always get one of those rental trucks from Home Depot if I need to haul a lot of stuff. Plus since my order is for a hybrid so who knows if I'll actually get it.

Funny thing is I was just thinking about a hybrid Niro. It seems like I can get a hybrid Niro at MSRP and dealers have them in stock.
Those probably really are ordered Mavericks for customers and it sounds like your dealer is doing right by those who ordered them by not letting others test drive it. I would be pretty upset if I found out the dealer was letting customers drive it before I could pick it up. It would rub me the wrong way to know someone even sat in it!

But orders fall through, dealer stock comes in, that isn't the only Ford dealer around. Do you have to seek out the test drive a little? Absolutely, but you can definitely do it. I've driven a Maverick a handful of times now when I stopped by the dealer for my Bronco or saw one sitting on the lot and cut a hard right into the dealership.
Sponsored