scottp01

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta (on death's door)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am a long hauler, and many of you will just say goodbye and that is fine. I ordered my Maverick 9/4/21. My wife’s car had started leaking through the Pano roof (Sportwagen) but it has been dry in California so I figured we could wait. In my dealers defense, my sales person texted me every Monday at 9 am to tell me it was not scheduled. Ok- we ride it out. And wait.
We got a build date in November, and got really excited! My box of stuff I had gotten for my truck moved into the living room. And then we got pushed. We have at this point waited a year, and seen the same vehicle delivered over and over.
Around early December, I started seeing trucks delivered that were ordered in the one week window orders were opened, while I still had a fake build date (I think it was January 9th- whatever day it was I had to call my dealer and tell them how to convert my order to 2023 so they could sell me less than what I had ordered 16 months prior, and folks with new orders were getting their trucks).
I guess I got pissed after 16 months and went and looked at a Niro. Guy handed me the keys. I sat in the car…he told me to drive it. I have never done any of that in a Maverick. After 16 months. I liked the Niro- hated the 6k ADM, so I found a dealer that offered the trim I wanted at MSRP. Three days and I had the car.
It gets 48.9 mpg average and we love it….
But my truck. Finally got a build date for February, got it this Friday. I cannot afford it now that we have a new car- but there it is at long last unless it gets pushed again. 17 months without a test drive? At what point do we call Ford on this bullshit? I guess if they are still selling like they are and we have nothing, but there is something seriously wrong with how this company is doing things. How long can Ford pull this for every model?!
Stories like this are important for Ford to see. The ordering process for the Maverick (short of the lucky ones who received their trucks within a few months) has been an extremely stressful, convoluted experience with shitty dealers, last-minute markups, canceled orders, bait-and-switch incentives and Ford lying about going First-in/First-out in favor of keeping dealer allocations.

Right now, the Maverick is popular because there is no completion, but Ford's competition is taking note. Toyota and Dodge are both rumored to have Maverick competitors in the works, and I'm sure Chevy isn't far behind.

Ford, your engineers can design the perfect product, your factories can build it exactly to spec, but if you can't figure out a way to build a truck for someone who ordered two years ago before someone who ordered a few months ago, then you're going to see your competitors eat you alive.
Sponsored

zendog

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2023 Maverick Lariat (hybrid)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those probably really are ordered Mavericks for customers and it sounds like your dealer is doing right by those who ordered them by not letting others test drive it. I would be pretty upset if I found out the dealer was letting customers drive it before I could pick it up. It would rub me the wrong way to know someone even sat in it!
Sure. I definitely get that if they are really orders.

But why do they list 21 Mavericks available in their sales inventory then if they are actually all orders? Heck, they have 3 listed as specials in their "Winter Sale Collection." It just doesn't seem right.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am a long hauler, and many of you will just say goodbye and that is fine. I ordered my Maverick 9/4/21. My wife’s car had started leaking through the Pano roof (Sportwagen) but it has been dry in California so I figured we could wait. In my dealers defense, my sales person texted me every Monday at 9 am to tell me it was not scheduled. Ok- we ride it out. And wait.
We got a build date in November, and got really excited! My box of stuff I had gotten for my truck moved into the living room. And then we got pushed. We have at this point waited a year, and seen the same vehicle delivered over and over.
Around early December, I started seeing trucks delivered that were ordered in the one week window orders were opened, while I still had a fake build date (I think it was January 9th- whatever day it was I had to call my dealer and tell them how to convert my order to 2023 so they could sell me less than what I had ordered 16 months prior, and folks with new orders were getting their trucks).
I guess I got pissed after 16 months and went and looked at a Niro. Guy handed me the keys. I sat in the car…he told me to drive it. I have never done any of that in a Maverick. After 16 months. I liked the Niro- hated the 6k ADM, so I found a dealer that offered the trim I wanted at MSRP. Three days and I had the car.
But my truck. Finally got a build date for February, got it this Friday. I cannot afford it now that we have a new car- but there it is at long last unless it gets pushed again. 17 months without a test drive? At what point do we call Ford on this bullshit? I guess if they are still selling like they are and we have nothing, but there is something seriously wrong with how this company is doing things. How long can Ford pull this for every model?!
I had a test drive with a Maverick with my dealer a year and a half ago. It was an EB so I had a test drive with a SUV that has the same hybrid system as the Maverick. Both drove well and were pretty average for a quality new vehicle which is great.
Wouldn't a leaky sunroof be easy to fix?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a test drive with a Maverick with my dealer a year and a half ago. It was an EB so I had a test drive with a SUV that has the same hybrid system as the Maverick. Both drove well and were pretty average for a quality new vehicle which is great.
Wouldn't a leaky sunroof be easy to fix?
same here. I actually drove a 2022 Edge with same powertrain (ECO 8 speed in my case) that I was planning to purchase. Then my salesperson called a little later telling me there was a refused Mav at their lot and let me drive that. That experience convinced me I should go ahead and order. My Mav drives exactly the same as my 2 testers and I love it.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't answer that for the op, but I have an order and just asked my dealer if I could come by for a test drive with my wife. His answer was the only one's they had there were people's orders so we could sit in one but not drive it. This is a major dealership, currently listing 21 Mavericks for sale, some incoming, but many supposedly on the lot with $5K and up ADM. I asked about those and he said they were all orders - sure seems like a lie to me or why are they listing them for sale? The only thing I could think is that if they realize if they annoy me enough and I cancel they get to sell mine at an added profit.

Since my wife has a different last name I was thinking of just showing up as a new customer and getting a different salesperson and seeing what happened. Either way, it gives you a pretty bad feeling about the dealership.

This would be my first truck and I know I'd enjoy it, but it isn't anything I need for work, etc. and I can always get one of those rental trucks from Home Depot if I need to haul a lot of stuff. Plus since my order is for a hybrid so who knows if I'll actually get it.

Funny thing is I was just thinking about a hybrid Niro. It seems like I can get a hybrid Niro at MSRP and dealers have them in stock.
as I understand it, Home Depot actually rents the Maverick now. That would be 1 way to get a test drive for a few hours ;) Also, I would expect a person could test drive a used 1 at a place like CarMax that operates a full-service dealership and has advertised used vehicles on their lot for purchase.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just depends on what you want and will settle for + timing + location + dealerships used. Our hybrid took a nearly year to receive having ordered June 2021 and received May 2022.
Meantime I found a EB FX4 on a lot on Santa Fe w/ no markups after lots of time searching Ford inventory site and a million phone calls to dealerships. I towed it home with our 04 F150 we had at the time.
When the hybrid came I sold the EB several thousand over MSRP.
Hybrid timing coincided with 0% for 3yr Ford Credit so I paid about 40% upfront and financed the rest.
You turned a bad situation around and make the best of it. Good decisions often lead to good consequences. Happy for you.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You've been able to test drive a Hybrid? I have not. No dealer in my area has got one long enough to test drive it. There are a lot of dealers that claim to have one, but when you call them, they don't. You can test drive a EB, but I just gave up on test driving the Hybrid.

Last I checked, mine is somewhere between LA and Seattle, so I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Feel for OP. I ordered my vehicle in Sept 22. Lariat Hybrid. It's built and on its way. The biggest variable factor when ordering is dealer allocation. Constraints are constraints, but let's face it, high volume dealers get more vehicles.
no, I specified in my post I was testing ECOboost models. But the same underlying theme: get a test drive however you can before making a decision to buy.

Ragtime Billy Peaches

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 Crew Diesel 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When your truck comes see if your Dealer wants to buy you out for a couple K,,,, You have been through waiting Torture,,,

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
no, I specified in my post I was testing ECOboost models. But the same underlying theme: get a test drive however you can before making a decision to buy.
If someone really needs to drive a hybrid, they can always go seek out a used C-Max.

You'll experience the smooth eCVT, the level of acceleration (including the differences caused by the Eco Mode), the differing regenerative braking system (took me a day or so to get used to the difference), and the odd noises and start/stops. I am well used to them after 6 years of having a C-Max. I sat in a Maverick XLT, front and back seats, and that was enough for me to order a Lariat back in 11/21.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If someone really needs to drive a hybrid, they can always go seek out a used C-Max.

You'll experience the smooth eCVT, the level of acceleration (including the differences caused by the Eco Mode), the differing regenerative braking system (took me a day or so to get used to the difference), and the odd noises and start/stops. I am well used to them after 6 years of having a C-Max. I sat in a Maverick XLT, front and back seats, and that was enough for me to order a Lariat back in 11/21.
Fusion hybrids were also around for a few years too?

Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
True...Fusion Hybrids were about the same years as the C-Max' were...2013-2018. They also came as Energi (PHEV) models, just like the C-Max. (All flat towable, incidentally.)

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
More than a few. 2010-2020 model years.

2010-2012 was the same power train as same era Escape Hybrid (with a 2.5L engine at the end).

2013-2020 was the same as 2013-2018 C-Max, downsized to 2.0L.

Fusion and C-Max Energi (PHEV) were around during that same period.

When the FHEV/PHEV platform was moved to C2, 2020 Escape regained Hybrid and gained a PHEV for the first time, now 2.5L again.

The above is specific to NA.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I can't answer that for the op, but I have an order and just asked my dealer if I could come by for a test drive with my wife. His answer was the only one's they had there were people's orders so we could sit in one but not drive it. This is a major dealership, currently listing 21 Mavericks for sale, some incoming, but many supposedly on the lot with $5K and up ADM. I asked about those and he said they were all orders - sure seems like a lie to me or why are they listing them for sale? The only thing I could think is that if they realize if they annoy me enough and I cancel they get to sell mine at an added profit.

Since my wife has a different last name I was thinking of just showing up as a new customer and getting a different salesperson and seeing what happened. Either way, it gives you a pretty bad feeling about the dealership.

This would be my first truck and I know I'd enjoy it, but it isn't anything I need for work, etc. and I can always get one of those rental trucks from Home Depot if I need to haul a lot of stuff. Plus since my order is for a hybrid so who knows if I'll actually get it.

Funny thing is I was just thinking about a hybrid Niro. It seems like I can get a hybrid Niro at MSRP and dealers have them in stock.
Yeah, because it's a Niro!

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
More than a few. 2010-2020 model years.

2010-2012 was the same power train as same era Escape Hybrid (with a 2.5L engine at the end).

2013-2020 was the same as 2013-2018 C-Max, downsized to 2.0L.

Fusion and C-Max Energi (PHEV) were around during that same period.

When the FHEV/PHEV platform was moved to C2, 2020 Escape regained Hybrid and gained a PHEV for the first time, now 2.5L again.

The above is specific to NA.
And if I recall, they stopped the C-Max Energi PHEV with the 2017 model but continued to make the C-Max HEV into 2018.

I bought my current 2017 Titanium Hybrid in January 2018 to replace the used 2013 SEL Hybrid I bought in 2016 (it had started life as a rental in Kauai). I traded it in only because I wanted to have a warranty after its EPAS went out (not uncommon) and after that $1900 repair, I wanted to have a warranty to fall back on. My ESP warranty is good to 1/2026, but as soon as my Maverick is set up to tow, I'll let loose of it.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid