Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm here for gas mileage, and an automatic transmission is far better at that kind of math than I'll ever be.
in a stick you control when to shift gears in an automatic it is decided for you, I got great mileage in my s 10 in winter on snow and ice I would start out in 2nd gear a lot less slipping
Sponsored

lastwgn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mazda MX-5, 2020 Mazda CX-5, 2001 Mazda MX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a chance. That is what my (three) Miata's are for. ;)

WildHorse

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also hear that someone prefers to plant his own wheat for his bread. But I only see on TV show that a logger uses ax instead of chainsaw to cut down big trees.

Sponsored

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would have ordered a manual XL EB AWD with no options instead of a more expensive trim. For some reason its easier to accept a stripped down car with a manual. If I don't have to shift gears, I want heated seats...

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
in a stick you control when to shift gears in an automatic it is decided for you, I got great mileage in my s 10 in winter on snow and ice I would start out in 2nd gear a lot less slipping
I used to get 30+mpg in my 97 Ranger 4 banger 5 speed, without even trying. I'll take a stick shift over an automatic any day of the week.

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to get 30+mpg in my 97 Ranger 4 banger 5 speed, without even trying. I'll take a stick shift over an automatic any day of the week.
What do you know. I'm still getting 26 miles to the gallon in my 97 ranger with the 4 banger and 5 speed and 206000 miles. It has been and unbelievable truck.

Vince30

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Ford Maverick and some motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In 08' when I was 18 I bought a 1983 Mustang GT with a 4 speed stick. I've bought 6 more cars since then and every one of them has had a manual transmission. I think I'm ready to give automatics another shot. So even if there was a manual option, I think I'd opt for the auto for the Mav.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Manual transmissions are way more reliable, and way cheaper to fix, I would choose a manual in a heartbeat.
Are clutches?

Sponsored

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd order a manual transmission in a second!! They are fun to drive and require engagement with your driving environment...in other words...pay attention. Besides barely 18 per cent of the American population can drive a vehicle with manual transmission. It is a lot of fun to watch would be thieves throw their hands in the air when they realize they can't drive what they want to steal!!!

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Absolutely, a clutch is probably $1500, a cvt transmission anywhere from $3500-$6000
I was referring to reliable. In my youth, 40+ years ago, I replaced more than one clutch. I the past 30 year, I have not replaced a single automatic transition.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm curious how many people would have gone with a good ole' fashion manual transmission if Ford offered it with the Maverick.

I love driving stick and contribute my love of cars to being taught how to drive a stick when I was young. I was curious how it worked and the more I learned the more interested I was. But now I'm in my late 20s and have to drive the same boring route every day, manual is becoming more of a chore (especially in traffic). I'd much rather have my fun car be a manual and my daily be an Auto. Luckily Ford is still putting them in Mustangs and Bronco's, but I can see that disappearing soon.

What do you think?
I presume this for EB owners only
Sponsored