Sponsored

Manual Transmission. If it was offered, would you choose a Standard?

Would you have ordered with a manual transmission?

• Total voters

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Too many stop lights and stop signs in my area to get a stick shift.
A modern
Spook,
With all due respect…………
Speak for yourself. This boomer (73.5) wants a stick ALL times, ALL conditions. One with the vehicle.
If one could only figure out how to cross a hybrid with a stick. LOVE my 49.3mpg (so far)! That’s for ALL 3600 miles
I’ve put on her.
The one thing I miss is shifting. It was such a part of driving (yes, even with a boring daily driver) that I never minded traffic, hills, or traffic like some.
Learning to use regenerative braking braking to it's maximum benefit is a little engaging (makes driving a little more interesting than a slushbox), but I do miss the manual.

Maybe I'll find me a Red Barchetta and hide it in the barn for some weekend fun in my retirement.
Deal's Gap (Dragon) is only 45 minutes away.
Sponsored

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A modern

The one thing I miss is shifting. It was such a part of driving (yes, even with a boring daily driver) that I never minded traffic, hills, or traffic like some.
Learning to use regenerative braking braking to it's maximum benefit is a little engaging (makes driving a little more interesting than a slushbox), but I do miss the manual.

Maybe I'll find me a Red Barchetta and hide it in the barn for some weekend fun in my retirement.
Deal's Gap (Dragon) is only 45 minutes away.
By the way…….
I give that “L” button quite a workout. Book says that it may be engaged at any speed. Watch the needle dip WAY down into the green. But , like on a bike, I find myself wanting to push it again for a further downshift. But, only get the one. Like my Dad’s ’66 283 Powerglide. Only the single downshift.

Last edited:

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold my Jeep CJ7 after 20 years of fun, 5 speed was great but getting harder and harder to shift as I age(disabled Vet with right shoulder injury), so happy with out the stick.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I sold my Jeep CJ7 after 20 years of fun, 5 speed was great but getting harder and harder to shift as I age(disabled Vet with right shoulder injury), so happy with out the stick.
No doubt you've earned your right to rest, and thank you for your service. That said, a modern manual with short-throws and a hydraulic clutch are a LOT less fatiguing than the CJ. Heck, the last two I own both had hill-hold, which made it stupid-easy took a bit of fun out of it.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No doubt you've earned your right to rest, and thank you for your service. That said, a modern manual with short-throws and a hydraulic clutch are a LOT less fatiguing than the CJ. Heck, the last two I own both had hill-hold, which made it stupid-easy took a bit of fun out of it.
His 5speed CJ w ould have been a T5 with a hydraulic clutch. Not super short throws given the longer handle to accomodate seating position but not bad with the right handle. Mine was sloppy AF with just one bolt holding it in but still smooth shifting. Now I also had a CJ with a t176 and a t150 they were a lil rough, but not as bad as the t18 I had in a 84 Bronco. Ofcourse that was nothing compared to the OD toploader I had in an E150 that was basically below and behind you. You shifted like you were wiping and they were HARD shifts! Toploader I had in a 67 cougar was nicely positioned but shifted way better and with more thrills when you strong armed it.

Sponsored

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the Maverick would have come out of the gate with a manual, I would have ordered one on day 1. Even if it was a 3 cylinder... now give me the option of a MT lariat.... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY. I will be 40 this year and this is the first vehicle I have paid for since I was 18 with an auto, and I have delt with Houston traffic for over 10 years. The engagement of the MT is irreplaceable. For those just looking for a tool to get them around while they stare at their phones... I understand the auto is for you. I will admit the 8spd does do much better than I expected but I would still prefer to row my own

Last edited:

Fix4Dirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4 2" Lift
Engine
Undecided
if there could be a manual hybrid awd version (wishing but never will be imo) or even a manual EcoBoost awd, i would take that in heartbeat over the auto. I may still only be a teenager, but i love me a standard!

Manual Or Die

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ide love a more sporty Maverick that put in that optional cost upgrade 4 cylinder from the Mustang, with a manual....but ide settle for the regular 4 banger in there (no hybrid garbage). I wouldn't buy it if it was FWD only though, they make me sick and I don't like the driving characteristics.

My ideal Maverick would have that high output version of the 4 cylinder from the Mustang, single cab with a longer bed, RWD, and a manual transmission....so basically everything the Maverick is not.

For reference, I am 27 years old and I will never own another automatic. Once I drove a car with a manual transmission, I saw the light. I love it, does not matter what vehicle I have or for what purpose, I want a manual in everything I own. I live in Atlanta with heavy traffic and I don't mind driving stick in it, but I know the ways around the traffic so I can avoid it for the most part....but even if I couldn't, I would never go back to an automatic.

I currently have a 96 Camaro Z28 convertible 6 speed manual and would love to get a manual Maverick as my practical vehicle, if they ever make one! I might just have to settle for an old single cab long bed Tacoma with a manual transmission....you can only get the manual in the Tacoma nowadays if you get the double cab short bed.....yuk!

I really wish the F-150 offered a manual; I have thought about getting a single cab long bed base model F-150 with the only upgrade being the V8 and doing a manual swap. That will probably be what I end up doing anyways.

Manual Or Die

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
but honestly.....my dream car would be a new Ranchero....so basically the Mustang (not SUV version) with a bed in the back, V8 5.0, with a manual transmission. One can dream.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really wish the F-150 offered a manual; I have thought about getting a single cab long bed base model F-150 with the only upgrade being the V8 and doing a manual swap. That will probably be what I end up doing anyways.
I actually owned a 1997 F-150 with a manual, and a 1994 Explorer Sport 2-door with a manual. The good 'ol days.

Sponsored

Manual Or Die

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also...kinda lame that through the grapevine I heard the Bronco truck is only going to be 4 door short bed....a 2 door Bronco truck with a longer bed would have tickled my fancy since they probably would have the manual transmission. I may sell the Camaro and just combine convertible with utility and get myself a 2 door 7 speed Bronco base model.... really wish you could get the base model with that waterproof draining interior, but you have to upgrade to a higher trim.... ugggg

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Also...kinda lame that through the grapevine I heard the Bronco truck is only going to be 4 door short bed....a 2 door Bronco truck with a longer bed would have tickled my fancy since they probably would have the manual transmission. I may sell the Camaro and just combine convertible with utility and get myself a 2 door 7 speed Bronco base model.... really wish you could get the base model with that waterproof draining interior, but you have to upgrade to a higher trim.... ugggg
I was on the Bronco train for a long time but realized I could only afford a Maverick. I was going for a 7 spd Black Diamond, because of the washout floor. However I learned over on B6G that that floor is going to be hell. Its washout but has a foam layer under it. So as soon as you get any damage anywhere to the floor there will be a pin hole where water will enter the rust sponge and rot the floor. Honestly there is only going to be 2 collector Bronco models way in the future a Base Squatch or a Wildtrack/FE. The ones with the vinyl and the rubber floors will rot, the Big Bends and the OBXs will get mileaged to death.

Im hoping that in the future the Maverick will be able to take a 6MT swap from a Focus.

Manual Or Die

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was on the Bronco train for a long time but realized I could only afford a Maverick. I was going for a 7 spd Black Diamond, because of the washout floor. However I learned over on B6G that that floor is going to be hell. Its washout but has a foam layer under it. So as soon as you get any damage anywhere to the floor there will be a pin hole where water will enter the rust sponge and rot the floor. Honestly there is only going to be 2 collector Bronco models way in the future a Base Squatch or a Wildtrack/FE. The ones with the vinyl and the rubber floors will rot, the Big Bends and the OBXs will get mileaged to death.

Im hoping that in the future the Maverick will be able to take a 6MT swap from a Focus.
And that 4 banger from the Focus that is currently a cost upgrade engine on the Mustang...would be cool, as long as manual is an option on the AWD/4WD could settle for 4 door small bed with Maverick since it is so cheap and has that flexible tailgate.....good to know that about the flooring of the Bronco....I may just end up getting a base model 2 door Bronco with the manual, definitely with the metal bumper. I really want one in Eruption Green....I hope they still offer that color in a few years, want to wait for shortages and price hikes to be over.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

And that 4 banger from the Focus that is currently a cost upgrade engine on the Mustang...would be cool, as long as manual is an option on the AWD/4WD could settle for 4 door small bed with Maverick since it is so cheap and has that flexible tailgate.....good to know that about the flooring of the Bronco....I may just end up getting a base model 2 door Bronco with the manual, definitely with the metal bumper. I really want one in Eruption Green....I hope they still offer that color in a few years, want to wait for shortages and price hikes to be over.
Yeah Im thinking I will try to find a Base 2dr MT Bronco once the Maverick that hasnt been built yet is paid off on a 5 year deal. Hopefully I can find a used one for somewhere in the mid $20s by then. Yeah I was geeking about the floor. Then I realized it wasnt aluminum(the whole tub should be) and that it had rubberized surface with foam bonded under it. Not cool.

Fix4Dirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4 2" Lift
Engine
Undecided
I actually owned a 1997 F-150 with a manual, and a 1994 Explorer Sport 2-door with a manual. The good 'ol days.
you owned a 1g X with a manual? nice! wish my 2g was a stick sometimes! them ohvs were rock solid, maybe soow but they dont ever quit 😂
Sponsored