Sponsored

Is the Maverick cab going to be big enough?

ReadyMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Let me start off by saying I’m sold on the Maverick. I placed my order for a Carbonized Gray 2.0T AWD FX4 Lariat in early August. But as I continue to see walkaround and review videos I can’t help think….is the Maverick crew cab going to big enough for a young family? Today I drive a 2018 Honda Accord and rear legroom is 40”….super comfortable. Car seats don’t interfere with front seats, wife has plenty of room when helping the 18 month old, buddies don’t complain on long road trips everyone is happy. When I look at the Maverick rear legroom spec of the 2.0T (what I have on order) of 36.9” I’m just not sure not sure everyone would feel the same as they do in the accord. 3” rear legroom difference doesn’t seem like much but can mean the difference between knees in seats or front seats moved up further to accommodate a car seat. I want to buy this truck when it lands at the dealer, but I also don’t want to cramp my style (no pun attended). Thoughts? Has anyone had the opportunity to pop a rear facing car seat in the back seat? Do you think the back seat will be one passengers complain about?
Sponsored

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Backward facing car seats need about 27 inches in depth -

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can’t say for sure, but after seeing all the YouTube videos where everyone seems to be about 6’3” and 300+ pounds, I decided the rear space would suffice for my passengers (two 50 lb dogs) although they are going to be ticked off that they don’t have the whole back of their Sportwagen to sprawl out in. Honestly, I don’t think you will have any problem with the monsters I have seen stuffed in that back seat.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Don't think most people will have an issue.

Also coming from an Accord. Legendary car.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If there is a Ranger near you at a dealer go take a look at it. The cab dimensions are almost identical to the Maverick except the Mav has 1 cu ft more interior space. This will give you a real good indicator if it will be big enough for you. My opinion is the answer is yes.

Sponsored

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Interior cab space rivals most compact crossovers (except maybe Subaru) for rear passenger space, and is better than most mid size trucks (looking at you, outgoing Ranger). As long as the dimensions work for whatever you want in the back, I wouldn't be too worried about traveling comfortably with 4 adults, personally.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If there is a Ranger near you at a dealer go take a look at it. The cab dimensions are almost identical to the Maverick except the Mav has 1 cu ft more interior space. This will give you a real good indicator if it will be big enough for you. My opinion is the answer is yes.
The big difference is rear legroom. The Ranger's rear legroom is 6-7 inches less than the Maverick.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My current 2008 Kia Sorento has 36.1 inches of rear leg room. I have 2 kids in a car seat and they have fit without an issue rear and front facing. Now they are in booster seats! I'm also 6 foot 2 inchs and I made sure I could sit behind myself before buying a vehicle. I fit without an issue. The Maverick has even more leg room then my Sorento so you will have no issues.

OP
OP
ReadyMav

ReadyMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't think most people will have an issue.

Also coming from an Accord. Legendary car.
Unfortunately in my case….legendary POS. Must have got an Accord built at 4:59 on a Friday lol. Fit and finish has been bothersome. Trunk trim inside still vibrates…haven’t been able to fix after 3 dealer visits. Worst is I have had the steering column replaced twice due too mechanical binding. Literally would be driving down the highway give it a little implement…doesn’t move doesn’t move then jumps. Honda of course was like we be never seen this twice. Well sounds like you need to read the forums out there. Very common issue. With used prices at what they are figured it is the perfect time to get out. Not going to lie love the 2.0T in it. Such a great engine. I have high hopes for the 2.0T eco boost.

inferno

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevy Colorado, 2022 Ford Maverick
I have not heard anyone complain that the interior size is not sufficient. Most have said they are surprised with the amount of room their really is.

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wish they made a regular cab for us old geezers that don't want to be a taxi. More room in the bed for junk, pick your speed, pick your radio station, pick your route and no complaints so driving is more fun.:)

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This has been my complaint about all midsize trucks....the rear legroom is so bad. But this matches the most legroom of the bunch the Honda Ridgeline (although not as wide). Most small CUV's have rear legroom around 38-40" which is what I would love to see in a midsize or "compact" truck. This is a make it or break it deal for me so I am very hopeful that the Maverick will feel bigger than the perceived short coming (not really compared to all the other trucks closest to it) in my book

OP
OP
ReadyMav

ReadyMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My current 2008 Kia Sorento has 36.1 inches of rear leg room. I have 2 kids in a car seat and they have fit without an issue rear and front facing. Now they are in booster seats! I'm also 6 foot 2 inchs and I made sure I could sit behind myself before buying a vehicle. I fit without an issue. The Maverick has even more leg room then my Sorento so you will have no issues.
Alright I’m starting to get talked off the ledge….thank you. Really want to make this thing work. Full size trucks pricing is just off the rocker…that would be the simple solution but im a practical person. $55k for a F-150 with cloth seats, not great fuel economy, barely will fit in the garage….world has gone mad. Let’s be honest truck is more of a want than a need for me. It’s going to be great for those weekend warrior projects and hunting trips. Maverick checks almost all the boxes. I went and checked out the ridgeline last night (let me just say these Honda reps need to get a new line….your looking at a domestic truck they have nothing on a foreign…needless to say I about walked right out… but wanted to see the rear seat. Honesty I think the Honda rep was scared. He just kinda mouth vomited everything Honda had trained him….can fit a sheet of plywood, AWD, roomie rear seat, was surprised that their rear legroom was the same as the Maverick spec wise but it seemed roomier then Maverick photos? Maybe it has to do with rear seat angle….Maverick seat seems a bit more vertical then the ridgelines.
This has been my complaint about all midsize trucks....the rear legroom is so bad. But this matches the most legroom of the bunch the Honda Ridgeline (although not as wide). Most small CUV's have rear legroom around 38-40" which is what I would love to see in a midsize or "compact" truck. This is a make it or break it deal for me so I am very hopeful that the Maverick will feel bigger than the perceived short coming (not really compared to all the other trucks closest to it) in my book
I agree. It’s why I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on one. I feel like I’m starting to get talked off the ledge….thank you. Really want to make this truck work. Full size trucks pricing is just off the rocker…that would be the simple solution but im a practical person. $55k for a F-150 with cloth seats, not great fuel economy, barely will fit in the garage….world has gone mad. I’ll be honest a truck for me more of a want than a need It’s going to be great for those weekend warrior projects and hunting trips. Maverick checks almost all the boxes. Funny you bring up the ridgeline. I actually went and checked out one last night (let me just say the Honda reps need to get a new line….your looking at a domestic truck they have nothing on a foreign…needless to say I about walked right out… but wanted to see the rear seat. Honesty I think the Honda rep was scared. He just kinda mouth vomited everything Honda had trained him….can fit a sheet of plywood, AWD, V6, roomie rear seat, legendary durability/quaity…he forgot to mention price delta and it’s front pushed in nose haha) I was surprised that their rear legroom was the same as the Maverick spec wise but it seemed roomier then Maverick photos? Maybe it has to do with rear seat angle….Maverick seat seems a bit more vertical then the ridgeline. Could also be the width as you mentioned. Also was funny their literature touts putting a bike in the rear seat area…seems like Ford and Honda are really going after each other. I’m feeling a bit more reassured. I sold the wife on buying one …so I got to deliver LMAO.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@ReadyMav From your original post it seems you have one child, right? When I looked at the truck in person at and event one of the things I thought about was rear leg room. We had a guy who was 6' 3" move his seat back and recline it to see how comfortable the fellows in the back would feel. He got pretty far while still being comfortable. I have a 7 month old, and I'm sure his rear facing seat will be fine back there. I like putting his seat in the middle of the back, but it should be fine behind the passenger seat. Not sure about multiple car seats. I would say two would be fine. 3 might be tough.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a 2013 Honda Insight. The rear legroom, which is listed as 33.5", is sufficient for car seats, and it is still sufficient for my 5'10" 330lb arse to drive with my oldest son (now 11) to sit behind me.

The Hybrid Maverick has 2 additional inches rear room, and the ecoboost as 3 more inches.

I could be wrong, but the Maverick should be sufficient for your car seats.
Sponsored