Sponsored

Ridiculously low Gas mileage ENOUGH already WTF is going on ?

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive had this truck 4 months. I don't drive a lot and I currently have about 2k miles on the odometer.

AWD, 4k tow running 245 65 17s and 1 inch front level lift. K&N drop in filter, no other mods. 89 octane gas used every time. Standard drive mode. I use it for personal transport and dont haul any heavy loads. Tire PSI set to 35.

I live in NW Indiana and do mixed driving of hwy and streets. I drive normally and I'm not a leadfoot. I don't use remote start or sit in traffic. I am getting absolute horseshit mileage. I have not seen 20mpg. I understand the figure may be off a tad with the slightly different tire size but other people with the same truck and mods are claiming 30mpg. WTF gives already? I bought a small truck to save on gas mileage. My V6 equinox was a gas pig and got better mileage. Its one of the reasons I dumped it. With the the gas $ now going through the moon its starting to bother me. I have the money but I didn't buy a "baby truck" to piss money away on gas. I bought this truck to get a few more mpg than the equinox and I was expecting to get at least 22mpg. I understand going up a size in tires may kill 1-2 mpg but come on now. Enough with this BS already. Im tired of the.excuses. Im seeing 17-18mpg tops. Less than 280 miles per tank. I am always putting gas in this truck. I've reset all settings twice to start from scratch to see if that helped and it has not.

Anybody have any ideas what could be going on? I cant be getting 10-12 less than other members with the same truck. Winter gas blend, altitude, driving style/ BS already. 10-11 mpg less than others is NOT normal. Something is wrong here and I'm getting pissed. The biggest reason people buy small trucks to save on gas.

Ford Maverick Ridiculously low Gas mileage ENOUGH already WTF is going on ? thumbnail
Sponsored

Last edited:

MDmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You should start to better mileage when the winter fuel mixes are phased out for the Summer mix ( usually around late April). Are you carrying anything heavy regularly in the bed? Tire’s PSI? Maybe switch to a different gas station if you have consistently been using the same one.
As an aside, I had a 2013 MDX ( required premium) that was an absolute gas hog. I found one gas station that was ethanol free and instantly saw a 5mpg improvement in city/hwy driving. Hybrid owners can really use a gentle foot for great mileage. I’m wondering if EB version’s mileage can be improved with similar techniques. Just spitballing

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Have you ran any tanks with the manual method to see if maybe your gauge is just way TF off? Otherwise I probably would’ve taken it in just to be like “what gives”. In single digit weather with 87 octane the worst I get is if all my trips are like 5 minutes of driving, quick trip stop and go…. And I still average over 20 with that (but the gas mileage is definitely sensitive and if you’re giving it much to accelerate eats gonna eat gas mileage).
If you baby it for a tank and can’t get closer to 22-23+ the either your MPG gauge is off of something else is wrong

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
. I’m wondering if EB version’s mileage can be improved with similar techniques. Just spitballing
yes, if I baby the crap out of it in normal and never really get in the gas/accelerator I can average close to 29…. Babying it in eco I can avg closer to 31 (I just want to enjoy driving and don’t care enough…. 24-25 is good enough for me)

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Put the stock wheels on and run a tank and check your milage. In my experience, how you drive the truck matters a lot, as does ambient temps for some reason.

OP
OP
vezpa

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tires set to 35psi. No heavy loads, just me. 89 oct citgo gas. Normal driving, no heavy foot. No other drive modes used other than normal.

OP
OP
vezpa

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I cant buy non-ethanol gas here. Anywhere. I do buy it in WI and FL. I miss Rec90 in FL. We fill out boat with it. I do always buy gas from the same two Citgo stations. Maybe I will try another brand for shits and giggles.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, that’s rough. I’m running a taller tire than you and using 87 octane and I’m averaging like 26. The only detectable variable is ambient temp, as I am in South Louisiana. Not sure what to suggest here.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You bought a vehicle that gets 22/29 without 4K.
After about 5k miles it will loosen up a little and mileage will get a little better.
Cold weather hurts mileage
Bigger tires hurt mileage.
4K towing hurts mileage.
Lifting the front hurts mileage.

Your mileage is to be expected and sounds correct.

The eGoboost engines can’t overcome physics. Put your foot in it for acceleration and more power output, you burn more gas.

Sounds like you should have bought the hybrid. Or a Prius.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ive had this truck 4 months. I don't drive a lot and I currently have about 2k miles on the odometer.

AWD, 4k tow running 245 65 17s and 1 inch front level lift. K&N drop in filter, no other mods. 89 octane gas used every time. Standard drive mode. I use it for personal transport and dont haul any heavy loads. Tire PSI set to 35.

I live in NW Indiana and do mixed driving of hwy and streets. I drive normally and I'm not a leadfoot. I don't use remote start or sit in traffic. I am getting absolute horseshit mileage. I have not seen 20mpg. I understand the figure may be off a tad with the slightly different tire size but other people with the same truck and mods are claiming 30mpg. WTF gives already? I bought a small truck to save on gas mileage. My V6 equinox was a gas pig and got better mileage. Its one of the reasons I dumped it. With the the gas $ now going through the moon its starting to bother me. I have the money but I didn't buy a "baby truck" to piss money away on gas. I bought this truck to get a few more mpg than the equinox and I was expecting to get at least 22mpg. I understand going up a size in tires may kill 1-2 mpg but come on now. Enough with this BS already. Im tired of the.excuses. Im seeing 17-18mpg tops. Less than 280 miles per tank. I am always putting gas in this truck. I've reset all settings twice to start from scratch to see if that helped and it has not.

Anybody have any ideas what could be going on? I cant be getting 10-12 less than other members with the same truck. Winter gas blend, altitude, driving style/ BS already. 10-11 mpg less than others is NOT normal. Something is wrong here and I'm getting pissed. The biggest reason people buy small trucks to save on gas.

thumbnail.jpg
Hmm. That's interesting and begs an answer. First are you driving a lot of short trips - That will not be efficient as the warm up and smog equipment will kill gas mileage till the truck is warm. Second what is the rolling resistance of those new tires. The size is only part of the question. The cold temps are sure to be a problem in general. Then check the actual gas mileage calculation by dividing miles per gallons put in the tank. Good luck we are all interested.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cant buy non-ethanol gas here. Anywhere. I do buy it in WI and FL. I miss Rec90 in FL. We fill out boat with it. I do always buy gas from the same two Citgo stations. Maybe I will try another brand for shits and giggles.
Have you ever checked on Pure-Gas.org for any non ethanol stations? Within an acceptable driving distance.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I think your mileage is spot on especially if most of your driving is in town. We do maybe 85% in town driving and 15 % highway and are seeing very similar numbers as you. Ours are a little better but we do use 93 octane so that might explain it.

Here's a pic of mine I just took this morning. The options you have are very similar to ours.
Ford Maverick Ridiculously low Gas mileage ENOUGH already WTF is going on ? IMG_20220305_065244149_HDR

FESTUS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I live in Northern indiana and have a 2.0 eco boost and drive in normal range and average 25 -26 mpg. mostly town driving. was in the mountains over xmas and was averaging 31-32 mpg.
Sponsored