Sponsored

Ridiculously low Gas mileage ENOUGH already WTF is going on ?

TRQ427

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD-97 CHEROKEE-69 427 BISCAYNE-MAYBE 2023 XL
Love the Maverick trucks, but I'm increasingly baffled by, what I feel, is terrible mileage. For 35 plus years I've been a Manufacture rep, lived in Tulsa, now eastern Iowa, sometime covering 5 to 6 states. Last 10 to 15 years, drove smaller vehicles like 4 cyl stick S-10's, currently own my second Dodge Ram Caravan C/V cargo van,3.6 V-6, curb weight of 4150 lbs. Being self employed, and driving 60 to 75K per year, I capitalized on the 58.5 cents per mile write off by driving good. low mileage, used basic vehicles, with good gas mileage for income/tax
Ford Maverick Ridiculously low Gas mileage ENOUGH already WTF is going on ? IMG_4906
r tax/income reasons. Hybrid or gas Mavericks just don't seem to deliver good MPG on the highway, at least that's what I've noticed as it seems mileage claims are all over the place. I think it's all about being under powered, Ford playing the government mileage game, testing at some 45 MPH in ideal conditions. It shows the Maverick weighs in at 3,636 to 3,693 lbs . Pretty heavy for a little 4 banger, that needs a turbo to pull that much weight. My current cargo van constantly hits 25 to 28 MPG, with the cheaper ethanol fuel, 88 or 87 octane, 75 to 80 % highway, in fairly windy area of the country. Gas pump calculations match the dash monitor. I would think the gas Maverick should produce 30 to 35 on the highway at least. It would be curious to see how this little truck would act with the Ford V-6 ecoboost. Might be a rocket ship, and knocking out surprising good mileage. As it's said in the Drag Racing world,,"There's no replacement for Displacement"
Sponsored

Last edited:

FordHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't forget that EPA MPG is based on the EB XL Basic model with nothing changed. Once things get added, you have additional weight, larger tires change the MPG, etc., which all affect the original MPG posted.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ive had this truck 4 months. I don't drive a lot and I currently have about 2k miles on the odometer.

AWD, 4k tow running 245 65 17s and 1 inch front level lift. K&N drop in filter, no other mods. 89 octane gas used every time. Standard drive mode. I use it for personal transport and dont haul any heavy loads. Tire PSI set to 35.

I live in NW Indiana and do mixed driving of hwy and streets. I drive normally and I'm not a leadfoot. I don't use remote start or sit in traffic. I am getting absolute horseshit mileage. I have not seen 20mpg. I understand the figure may be off a tad with the slightly different tire size but other people with the same truck and mods are claiming 30mpg. WTF gives already? I bought a small truck to save on gas mileage. My V6 equinox was a gas pig and got better mileage. Its one of the reasons I dumped it. With the the gas $ now going through the moon its starting to bother me. I have the money but I didn't buy a "baby truck" to piss money away on gas. I bought this truck to get a few more mpg than the equinox and I was expecting to get at least 22mpg. I understand going up a size in tires may kill 1-2 mpg but come on now. Enough with this BS already. Im tired of the.excuses. Im seeing 17-18mpg tops. Less than 280 miles per tank. I am always putting gas in this truck. I've reset all settings twice to start from scratch to see if that helped and it has not.

Anybody have any ideas what could be going on? I cant be getting 10-12 less than other members with the same truck. Winter gas blend, altitude, driving style/ BS already. 10-11 mpg less than others is NOT normal. Something is wrong here and I'm getting pissed. The biggest reason people buy small trucks to save on gas.

thumbnail.jpg
I put a Gator bed cover on mine and mpg went up 2-3. But I have a hybrid.

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love the Maverick trucks, but I'm increasingly baffled by, what I feel, is terrible mileage. For 35 plus years I've been a Manufacture rep, lived in Tulsa, now eastern Iowa, sometime covering 5 to 6 states. Last 10 to 15 years, drove smaller vehicles like 4 cyl stick S-10's, currently own my second Dodge Ram Caravan C/V cargo van,3.6 V-6, curb weight of 4150 lbs. Being self employed, and driving 60 to 75K per year, I capitalized on the 58.5 cents per mile write off by driving good. low mileage, used basic vehicles, with good gas mileage for income/tax
IMG_4906.jpg
r tax/income reasons. Hybrid or gas Mavericks just don't seem to deliver good MPG on the highway, at least that's what I've noticed as it seems mileage claims are all over the place. I think it's all about being under powered, Ford playing the government mileage game, testing at some 45 MPH in ideal conditions. It shows the Maverick weighs in at 3,636 to 3,693 lbs . Pretty heavy for a little 4 banger, that needs a turbo to pull that much weight. My current cargo van constantly hits 25 to 28 MPG, with the cheaper ethanol fuel, 88 or 87 octane, 75 to 80 % highway, in fairly windy area of the country. Gas pump calculations match the dash monitor. I would think the gas Maverick should produce 30 to 35 on the highway at least. It would be curious to see how this little truck would act with the Ford V-6 ecoboost. Might be a rocket ship, and knocking out surprising good mileage. As it's said in the Drag Racing world,,"There's no replacement for Displacement"
In town I get 50-52 mpg. Highway..35 going from Phoenix up to Pinetop area above 6,000 feet. Coming back to Phoenix 45 mpg at 65 mph plus.

Pickles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia rio, kia sorento
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In town I get 50-52 mpg. Highway..35 going from Phoenix up to Pinetop area above 6,000 feet. Coming back to Phoenix 45 mpg at 65 mph plus.
You quoted someone from 6 months ago haha also they already had discredited themselves by suggesting an eco-v6 would improve the situation 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

garnermike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Outback, an Ioniq, a Corvette, a Fiat Spider
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't relate. Had the hybrid Mav since February. Every fill-up delivers 42-47mpg in mixed driving. If on the interstate hwy driving 65-70mph, it will do 39mpg (in ECO mode).

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ive had this truck 4 months. I don't drive a lot and I currently have about 2k miles on the odometer.

AWD, 4k tow running 245 65 17s and 1 inch front level lift. K&N drop in filter, no other mods. 89 octane gas used every time. Standard drive mode. I use it for personal transport and dont haul any heavy loads. Tire PSI set to 35.

I live in NW Indiana and do mixed driving of hwy and streets. I drive normally and I'm not a leadfoot. I don't use remote start or sit in traffic. I am getting absolute horseshit mileage. I have not seen 20mpg. I understand the figure may be off a tad with the slightly different tire size but other people with the same truck and mods are claiming 30mpg. WTF gives already? I bought a small truck to save on gas mileage. My V6 equinox was a gas pig and got better mileage. Its one of the reasons I dumped it. With the the gas $ now going through the moon its starting to bother me. I have the money but I didn't buy a "baby truck" to piss money away on gas. I bought this truck to get a few more mpg than the equinox and I was expecting to get at least 22mpg. I understand going up a size in tires may kill 1-2 mpg but come on now. Enough with this BS already. Im tired of the.excuses. Im seeing 17-18mpg tops. Less than 280 miles per tank. I am always putting gas in this truck. I've reset all settings twice to start from scratch to see if that helped and it has not.

Anybody have any ideas what could be going on? I cant be getting 10-12 less than other members with the same truck. Winter gas blend, altitude, driving style/ BS already. 10-11 mpg less than others is NOT normal. Something is wrong here and I'm getting pissed. The biggest reason people buy small trucks to save on gas.

thumbnail.jpg
What mileage were you getting before the modifications? What does the manufacturer of the lift kit say about mileage?

I ask because links on the power train require more effort to revolve when they are not 'straight'. If it's a 4X4 then you double all that extra effort even without the lift kit.

Hope you can figure it out.
Sponsored