Sponsored

Instinctively reaching for a shift lever... is it just me?

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same.
I finally got used to the dial. At least its not a Lincoln... Imagine reaching for the heated wheel button and accidentally putting yourself in neutral (Corsair shown below) :)
Ford Maverick Instinctively reaching for a shift lever... is it just me? 1676317378187
Sponsored

RSM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2012 Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi, I am another manual driver. It will take a while to get use to not changing gears. I am keeping my car so when I feel the need I will still get to drive a manual transmission

Don806

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, Also a 2000 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Right there with you, could probably form a group just for that. I would tend to rest my hand on the shifter in the Escape, it has seemed to go away after couple months

nathan.wright

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mazda B2200
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I'm literally just a few days into actually having my truck, and I love the crap out of this thing -- but every time I go to park the Maverick, I keep instinctively reaching for a shift lever to put it in park and grasping air. Then, hoping no one noticed, turning the knob to put it in park. 😆

I can't be the only one who has done this.
This was me every time I stepped into any automatic

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I'm literally just a few days into actually having my truck, and I love the crap out of this thing -- but every time I go to park the Maverick, I keep instinctively reaching for a shift lever to put it in park and grasping air. Then, hoping no one noticed, turning the knob to put it in park. 😆

Took me about a week to get over reaching for where my shift lever was on my Honda Fit that I sold when I paid for and drove home my Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid on December 13, 2021.

Since then no more muscle memory issues and now just reach for the knob and twist it.

Sponsored

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Takes the same amount of time to become accustomed to as does no longer reaching into your pocket for the keys with a push button start equipped vehicle.
;)

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same.
I finally got used to the dial. At least its not a Lincoln... Imagine reaching for the heated wheel button and accidentally putting yourself in neutral (Corsair shown below) :)
1676317378187.png
Just as bad, here's the Chrysler Pacifica. Your eyes don't deceive you, the dial to change gears is only a few inches from the radio/AC dials 🤦. Rented one of those POS's first thing I said is that's going to be the source of a class action lawsuit one day.

Ford Maverick Instinctively reaching for a shift lever... is it just me? 2023-chrysler-pacifica-central-console-carbuzz-675107 (1)

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

The dial is odd and electronic. If you are in drive and turn off your Mav it automatically goes into park. Nice feature. I baby mine anyway, but I figure the dial keeps anyone from jamming into drive from reverse.

Drkuhar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 cutlass, 2011 silverado,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How long before some aftermarket company makes a console top with integrated lever shifter that is plug and play. Since it is electronic it doesn't real matter if its a dial or an old style shifter moving electronic contacts.

dwkfb69

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BOSS 302 Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm always reaching for the non existent shifter.. you get use to it.. going to be a another learning experience when spring gets here again when I start driving my BOSS 302 Mustang again..

Sponsored

jpdurr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just watched a disturbing video on Youtube by "Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics" about a 2017 Ford Fusion where the car was stuck in Park. Looks to have the same dial shifter as the Mav. Very complicated system. It was the transmission range control module. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about the dial shifter :)

Yes, that Dial Shifter is WAY to complicated for the average driver. I guess they will have to walk.

MaverickMom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022, Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This thread is hilarious! I was just thinking about how I keep reaching for the shifter, then going to the column, then quickly remembering the dial. It all happens in the blink of an eye. But it is hilarious. Glad there is no camera!

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I still turn the shift knob in the wrong direction sometimes. It doesn't help that it spins even when there's no more gears to select.

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Took me a day of driving to get used to it. I actually like it. It clicks from gear to gear so it’s easy to learn.

kkreit01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick, '17 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I keep turning the damn climate control fan -- thinking it's the shifter. That's where it was on my Ram.
Sponsored