First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 10 Ford Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
random post on shift lever opinions......

I would have rather the shift lever be on the steering column or if ford went with a lever vs the dial. I know they use parts across different models and it may not matter to most but it's just my preference.

Manufactures will never offer shift lever options nor would someone make an aftermarket swap option.

I had a friend who was really impressed with everything i was showing on the maverick and as soon as he saw the dial he was like nope im out.... joking but not joking.

I love how much thought they put into the interior and all the storage options, as i said i would prefer to not have a dial, thankful they didn't do a push button shift setup. The dial is not a deal breaker for me, more posting to fill the months between when i will get to use the dial....

Also random why did they not use the traditional traction icon on the button on the center console? It looks like a snail going really fast, on the dash they use the original icon.

Whats your opinion on shift levers?
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had cars and trucks with manual and automatic column shifters, floor shifters, even had a '67 Corvair automatic that had a lever on the dash. Never had a rotary knob shifter but I'm looking forward to it. I've actually thought about the rotary shifter might work better on the dash. Here's a pic of the Corvair shifter.

Ford Maverick Shift lever opinions cvr

samesea2012

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how the car is put into gear is pretty irrelevant to me. the only reason i donโ€™t like the dial is that itโ€™s by the cup holders so spilling something near might cause damage.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm actually looking forward to the dial. I just hope you can't Accidentally move it in reverse while moving. :oops:

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how the car is put into gear is pretty irrelevant to me. the only reason i donโ€™t like the dial is that itโ€™s by the cup holders so spilling something near might cause damage.
:unsure::coffee:๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Sponsored

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dial is just fine fer me, none of them are mechanically Shifting the transmission anymore so it might as well just have something as small as possible.

Thumper477

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A real shifter would probably cost a lot more than the dial set up.The Ford "bean counters" are very vigilant to watch every penny.

Reactions: bgn

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am slowly warming up to the idea of a dial . My dogs are constantly bumping the shifter lever in my car and it causes problems that way. It also burns up a ton of space and makes getting at the console bin awkward. OTOH muscle memory means I can easily shift it in emergencies. It might take some getting used to but on the whole it's probably a wash.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I would have rather the shift lever be on the steering column or if ford went with a lever vs the dial. I know they use parts across different models and it may not matter to most but it's just my preference.

Manufactures will never offer shift lever options nor would someone make an aftermarket swap option.

I had a friend who was really impressed with everything i was showing on the maverick and as soon as he saw the dial he was like nope im out.... joking but not joking.

I love how much thought they put into the interior and all the storage options, as i said i would prefer to not have a dial, thankful they didn't do a push button shift setup. The dial is not a deal breaker for me, more posting to fill the months between when i will get to use the dial....

Also random why did they not use the traditional traction icon on the button on the center console? It looks like a snail going really fast, on the dash they use the original icon.

You know, I like shift levers. I learned to drive in a 1953 DeSoto fluid drive. It had a clutch, reverse, low range (shift lever down and high range (shift lever up). Push clutch in to start engine pull shift lever down you are in under drive low give it gas it would stay in under low until you took foot off gas and if you were going 6 mph or faster (no clutch necessary) it would automatically shift out of under drive low into low and you could drive in low range around town all day without ever touching clutch it shift lever. When you stopped at light just take foot off brake step on gas (again no clutch needed) (this car was great for grandma's who had learned to drive horse drawn). If you wanted to go fast (like 60) step on clutch push shift lever up and "walla" if car was going less than 14 mph you would be in under drive high and you would stay in that gear until you lifted foot off gas at which time it would automatically shift into high gear (1:1) stay in that gear all day long unless you clutched and pull shift lever down. Dang! Those were the days. Do not remember but maybe 0-60 in 30+/- seconds.

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes my 65 Dodge Dart had this system

Ford Maverick Shift lever opinions 949C69FB-20FD-49B3-B6E9-BDB3AFDF37BA

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My opinion, not that it matters, is that I'll turn it to 'R,' then 'D,' go where it is that I'm going, put the truck in 'P', press the Start/Stop button, then get out of the truck. I suspect I'll learn how to do that pretty quickly, even though our other vehicle has a differently weird gear shift thingy. I'm pretty smart, and I think I can do it.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
As someone with a shift knob now, I like that the dial is out of the way but it will take a lot of getting used to. It is basically muscle memory at this point.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Muscle memory, schmemory! The rotary dial will be easier than anything. Way less potential for error.
Sponsored