Sponsored

Need some insight... is FX4 package really worth it for me?

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
If you’re getting a lariat lux with tow then the only thing fx4 will add is monotube rear shocks, skid plate, tow hooks and the drive modes (which is a downside to fx4 in my opinion).. it’s a steal on an XLT without tow package, but I wouldn’t add fx4 to a lariat with tow package.
Sponsored

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IIRC you get the radiator/fan/transmission upgrade with the tow package.
There is no “upgraded transmission” available for the maverick. Tow package adds trans cooler, that is the only difference.

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tow package and FX4 have some overlap. In end FX4 + 4K was worth it for us:
4K Tow: Upgraded Fan, highest rear end ratio (?3.8:1?), Transmission Cooler, Upgraded Radiator, 7-pin, Hitch
FX4: Upgraded Fan, Upgraded Radiator, Tow Hooks, Tires, Wheels, Sticker, slighly lower ratio rear end than Tow, monotube rear shocks (note does NOT get you Transmission Cooler), Skid Plates, lose ECO and Sport gain Sand & Mud/Ruts

The Fan, Radiator overlap with each other. The rear end ratios are different, assume with both you get the 4K tow rear end ratio. You want the Transmission cooler. This is what I‘ve been able to figure out - if anything else missing feel free to correct.

OP
OP

Phoenixxlx

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
The money isn't the issue...my biggest complaint is the lose of Sport mode, don't care so much about Eco. I think I'm just sticking with getting the FX4 package as well and hoping someone local can help with the Forscan and get me Sport back. I don't see myself using the Mud/Ruts and Sand options but I want everything else.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is no “upgraded transmission” available for the maverick. Tow package adds trans cooler, that is the only difference.
So the standard transmission without a cooler is upgraded to a transmission WITH a cooler. But that upgrade isn't an upgrade. Okay; I see now...

Sponsored

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
IMHO sport mode isn't going to do anything your right foot can't do on its own. I've owned a few cars with eco and/or sport mode and it just adjusts the sensitivity of the throttle pedal.
Stick with what you ordered and enjoy it. Thinking about what it doesn't have won't do anything good for you. If you change your order now, you risk paying another ~$1K for a Lariat Lux because of mid year price increases.

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the standard transmission without a cooler is upgraded to a transmission WITH a cooler. But that upgrade isn't an upgrade. Okay; I see now...
Whether you meant to or not.. Your wording made it sound like the transmission itself is better. It is the same 8 speed no matter what, trans cooler is an added feature for transmission longevity.

I’ve seen more than a few people talk about the “upgraded transmission” that comes with tow package and they actually believe it is more heavy duty internally. Just trying to diminish false information being spread.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Whether you meant to or not.. Your wording made it sound like the transmission itself is better. It is the same 8 speed no matter what, trans cooler is an added feature for transmission longevity.

I’ve seen more than a few people talk about the “upgraded transmission” that comes with tow package and they actually believe it is more heavy duty internally. Just trying to diminish false information being spread.
Just a different use of words I guess. I consider any modification that improves longevity to be an upgrade. YMMV...

Willbus

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Ranchero, 74 Bronco, 98 Mustang GT, 00 F250
I originally went with the FX4 but when I went to the dealer to order I had them remove it.
I still cant make up my mind if that was the best decision.

The main issue for me was the loss of sport mode.
I'm interested to see if someone finds a way to recover sport mode on an FX4, if that is the case I am going to have to alter my build.

The two main things I wanted from the FX4 package were the tow hooks and skid plates.
I have not heard if anyone has tried to add skid plates to a non FX4 but I have seen that non FX4 trucks are missing the back mount for tow hooks.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's why I'm worried. Sport mode in my ST Focus is pretty fun and I know this isn't really a sporty set up but it's always nice to have the option.
Sport mode wouldn't be the same on the Maverick. On the Focus ST, you're in charge of the throttle response. I believe sport stiffens suspension and may adjust some engine parameters to boost HP and torque. On the Maverick, it is just tuning the throttle response, keeping the rpm higher and engine upshifted so that it responds more quickly.

Mud and Ruts basically does the same thing...

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I originally went with the FX4 but when I went to the dealer to order I had them remove it.
I still cant make up my mind if that was the best decision.

The main issue for me was the loss of sport mode.
I'm interested to see if someone finds a way to recover sport mode on an FX4, if that is the case I am going to have to alter my build.

The two main things I wanted from the FX4 package were the tow hooks and skid plates.
I have not heard if anyone has tried to add skid plates to a non FX4 but I have seen that non FX4 trucks are missing the back mount for tow hooks.
You get a scanner tool put the cars file on a computer read through the code change sport mode from 0 to 1 and it works. The code is there it's just turned off they don't want to many to cycle through. People have already unlocked mud and ruts on a hybrid it doesn't do anything because you don't have the hardware to activate.

Down hill assistance I'd nice. Think of it more that way. You get tow hooks downhill and a skid plate.

If you want better off road get something with a 4 low in it. It's alot better body on frame is better off road way more ground clearance
Sponsored