Sponsored

Need some insight... is FX4 package really worth it for me?

Phoenixxlx

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
So I put in my order for a Lariat AWD with the FX4, Tow and Lux package along with a few odds and end options. I've been doing reading and trying to determine if the FX4 package is really worth it to me. I don't do any real "off road" activities, the main reason I wanted it was the tow hooks and the skid plate option. I figured the heavy duty radiator and cooling fan would be a bonus as well. So with that being said, is it worth giving up drive modes for those upgrades? I cannot see myself using Mud/ruts and Sand very often if ever.
Sponsored

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
I enjoy the FX4 package myself, the wheels by themselves were worth it for me, add in the rear suspension that uses independent multi-link trailing arm setup with monotube shocks that include hydraulic rebound stops and the additional add ons it was a bargain for me. I don't plan on heavy offroading or using sand/mud rut except for the occasional drive to the motocross tracks out yonder, but overall, I think the deal was good and it will help resale value down the road if you ever sell.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phoenixxlx

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
I enjoy the FX4 package myself, the wheels by themselves were worth it for me, add in the rear suspension that uses independent multi-link trailing arm setup with monotube shocks that include hydraulic rebound stops and the additional add ons it was a bargain for me. I don't plan on heavy offroading or using sand/mud rut except for the occasional drive to the motocross tracks out yonder, but overall, I think the deal was good and it will help resell value down the road if you ever sell.
I just hope the loss of Sport and Eco Mode won't make me regret it when the truck shows up. I still have plenty of time to change my order being as I haven't been assigned a VIN yet but being that this is the first vehicle I have ever actually ordered now I'm second guessing my options lol. Hell I keep going back and forth on the color I want.

Brent Karrett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Burnt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coyote, Lanche, Nauti,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sport Mode is a blast on other cars Iā€™ve driven (Incl my 2020 Nauti). That is the single reason I didnā€™t order FX4 pac on mine.

OP
OP

Phoenixxlx

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
Sport Mode is a blast on other cars Iā€™ve driven (Incl my 2020 Nauti). That is the single reason I didnā€™t order FX4 pac on mine.
That's why I'm worried. Sport mode in my ST Focus is pretty fun and I know this isn't really a sporty set up but it's always nice to have the option.

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what it's worth, most of the benefits of Eco mode can be achieved with judicious use of the accelerator--at least with the Ecoboost.

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
Yeah, I get losing eco and sport mode but the normal mode on this truck has quite a bit of pep if I am honest haha. I was cruising I5 from California/Oregon over mountain passes at 74mph on cruise up the pass and the truck didnā€™t even hit above 2k rpmā€™s. It can move if you want it to. Eco mode as mentioned above is just you not hitting the throttle hard between stop signs. Easy to get 30-32mpg on highway and 27 or so in mixed city driving in normal mode for me.

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Eco and Sport modes are only there so that non-FX4s can have more than 3 drive modes.

joeh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Ranger, Cobra - Jeep Wrangler
So I put in my order for a Lariat AWD with the FX4, Tow and Lux package along with a few odds and end options. I've been doing reading and trying to determine if the FX4 package is really worth it to me. I don't do any real "off road" activities, the main reason I wanted it was the tow hooks and the skid plate option. I figured the heavy duty radiator and cooling fan would be a bonus as well. So with that being said, is it worth giving up drive modes for those upgrades? I cannot see myself using Mud/ruts and Sand very often if ever.
The way I look at is the difference in monthly payments is minimal, $10 to $15 at most depending on the length of your loan. Getting the additional capabilities for that small of an amount is worth it to me. Figure it will pay for itself in resale value as well. But everyone has their own budget so if you can afford a higher payment might as well add the factory items that are harder or impossible to add yourself!

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My opinion, absolutely worth it

Ford Maverick Need some insight... is FX4 package really worth it for me? C86E6173-BBD9-460D-8D25-414ED8BE5521

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
since i see you're planning lariat with lux & tow packages why are you worried about another $800 for the fx4 to get everything else? that's such an expensive vehicle over the $20k base price, why not just get every option available :)

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are already getting the tow pack, FX4 gets you these main things:

-different wheels
-cooler dash display
-front tow hooks
-cheesy stickers
-"sand" mode that is good for doing donuts in the snow

You lose out on sport mode, and a thousand dollars.

For me personally I ordered with FX4 and then decided to take it off my build because I like the base XLT wheels better and wanted sport mode. However, the truck arrived as an FX4.

I'm working on figuring out the sport mode thing with Forscan but it's not there yet. Sand mode is hilarious in the winter though and the big dash display is neat so overall I'm happy.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally for me, I decided to option the fx4 cause I will be doing some light off road use with it. Nothing extreme mind you, mostly just want to explore some of the forest roads around here that you wouldnā€™t want to take a low clearance vehicle down. Concerning the OPā€™s comment about the extra cooling though, you already get that with the tow package so if thatā€™s all youā€™re worried about losing, then no need to worry and if youā€™re worried about losing the sport and eco modes then just stick with what you have without the fx4 package and youā€™ll be fine

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IIRC you get the radiator/fan/transmission upgrade with the tow package.
Sponsored