Sponsored

In general, Is ordering from a very small dealership a bad idea?

OP
OP

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WOW, Thanks for all the quick replies! Much appreciated.
I wanted to stay local! But, I can't seem to find a salesman who will talk turkey! I've made appointments only to be passed to salesman#2. I can't find someone who will simply tell me their exact ordering process in a clear fashion.
I am considering long McArthur, etc. but I'm afraid of the delivery foot-dragging at a local dealer, especially one that I have unsuccessfully talked to.
I'm praying for the mid-August order date - I am not at all ready for Aug. 2., although my order is! Actually, I may have pre-ordered two already - If those two salesman were listening to me and just not providing feedback!
Aug. 15 would give me time to try to arm-wrestle the information I need from them!
I'm exasperated! I would have given up already, except for the hybrid's MPG!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Chapman Ford had over 200 orders last year when the 2022 Maverick ordering banks opened up and were more then competent As a matter of fact I did every bit of my order and buying process over phone, email and next day mail as they are in PA and I live in Georgia.

I received my Maverick in 4 months of order date.

Grainger Ford in Iowa had just as many order and were just as competent. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
How did the delivery process go? Any trouble finding a local dealer to take it? Does the local dealer put his sticker on the truck?

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How did the delivery process go? Any trouble finding a local dealer to take it? Does the local dealer put his sticker on the truck?
Nope, Mall of Georgia Ford in Atlanta did courtesy delivery and it cost me a whole $250 out of pocket instead of going to PA and driving it home.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A larger and more experienced dealer is more likely going to be the way to go, under these trying times. What stinks is for many these larger dealers are out of state.

What also needs to be considered is your future vehicles support. Going with a local dealer guarantees that you have that dealerships relationship established to get the much needed support for your future warranty and maintenance work.
I bought mine at Chapman in Horsham, about 90 minutes away. I get it serviced locally. Zero issues getting service or recall work. Most dealerships treat their sales and service departments as separate entities. They support each other but arenā€™t in existence for each other, two separate means of generating revenue. Service will honor any Ford warranty or service work with a smile on their face, itā€™s revenue for them. I didn't and wouldnā€™t base my choice of purchase on service. Chapman gave me a great deal at 4% UNDER DEALER invoice. The local guys do a great job with service and recalls. The best of both worlds. I look out for my money and best interests, those that treat me well get my business others donā€™t. My son ordered from Chapman, a new F150. I will go back there for future vehicles.

Last edited:

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried contacting dozens of dealers prior to placing my order last fall. Finally went with a small-town dealer since they were the only one willing to do anything other than MSRP. Ended up being a big mistake. Based on my conversations with them back in June, they had only recived TWO (2) Mavericks so far and had two more in the process. I think I was #7 on their list with an October 1 order (basic XP Hybrid with hitch). Still no VIN and stuck at Priority 10. To make matters worse, they are not going to extend my "under MSRP" order to a MY23. Basically said the MY23 order would be at MSRP. Aaaugh. In my case, I seemed to have rolled the dice and come up snake-eys.

Sponsored

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As concerns getting a 2023 Maverick ordered with the proper follow-through and eventual delivery.
Does it all come down to just the honesty and competence of your salesman or does dealership size play an important role?
I have for the last 20 years bought directly from the owner of a small town Ford Dealership, 2 hours from me, in south central Iowa that has a population of 2500. We became close friends when I bought a used 70 Mustang dash for my Boss 302, as he also has a passion for old cars. I talked to him, asked him to show me around and tell me about his dealership history, and that got the ball rolling. He is so motivated, he makes his living selling and servicing vehicles, and never ever forgot the dry hard times of the 80s, when the vehicle market was horrible and many small town dealers had to close. I have bought from him ever since. Old school business, start to finish, no BS, no doc fee, no ADM, nothing but straight shooting. Service department has probably the best mechanic I ever met. (and I was a mechanic at a Ford dealer in the 90s!) Long time secretary and title clerk. Etc.. This owner was on the regional board at Ford since the early 80s, knows the in's and out's of how the order process and follow up goes. Ordered my Maverick over the phone the first week of Sept of 21 and had it first week of Feb of 22. Many many posts have said Fords communication is lousy, which it is, but believe it or not the dealerships dont know much more, especially when the vehicle has been built and sent to transport. At that point it is very hard for Ford or the dealer to know current status, but having the owner call the "right" reps, they can get the answers more quickly. The less people involved the better. So, to answer the post, I would not hesitate to go to a small town, independently owned (important-- as many dealerships are owned by a corporation now) Ford dealer that has an active owner and no more then 2 salesman. Their lively hood is on the line each day and everyone from the top to the bottom usually know what is transpiring within the dealership. And talk to the owner if at all possible, and get a comfort level with everything, then have them start the process. Good luck !

scottp01

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta (on death's door)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered from a small dealership. I am still unscheduled. My salesman told me that they have approximately 25 out of 50 orders scheduled.

I contacted Chapman this week for a 2023. They told me that they only have 15 unscheduled Ecoboosts.

Obviously, either one could be lying to me, but it paints a pretty clear picture that bigger is better in regards to where you place your order.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry but I disagree.
You made a good choice for going with Chapman, I did too but I think your experience dealing with dealers isnā€™t a perspective supported by some that live in smaller markets dealing with local dealers.

The very first thing that the Service Center asks is ā€œDid you purchased the vehicle though us?ā€ Presumption being that they prioritize and take-care-of-their-own better than the others.

Dealers have a lot of discretion under their dealership roofs and one of the few things that gets them motivated to help you is buying from them. Good luck trying to get special assistance or support when youā€™re just trying to chase the cheapest option.

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered from a small dealership. I am still unscheduled. My salesman told me that they have approximately 25 out of 50 orders scheduled.

I contacted Chapman this week for a 2023. They told me that they only have 15 unscheduled Ecoboosts.

Obviously, either one could be lying to me, but it paints a pretty clear picture that bigger is better in regards to where you place your order.
I dont believe either one is stretching the truth. The particular small dealer I use had 70 2022 special and stock orders for various models, on the books last Jan 10th. Last I heard, 42 built and delivered and some being built now. About a dozen off the train car and sitting for a transporter to pick up. And, very few of these are for retail stock, all customer orders. So the percentages seem similar--- and this goes back to January. Predictions of all built and delivered by October seems to be a close guess. The larger Ford dealers closer to me still have very few new ones on the lot that are not spoken for.

OP
OP

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks again guys!!!!
What I am hearing is that any size dealership can get the job done, if you are dealing with a competent, caring, and honest individual at that dealership! Regular and open communication seems to be extremely important, plus getting to confirm that your name, and other information is on the order. And lastly, when in doubt (or if your spidey sense goes off) Consider going with a big "Internet" Dealer!

Sponsored

BobS

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
You made a good choice for going with Chapman, I did too but I think your experience dealing with dealers isnā€™t a perspective supported by some that live in smaller markets dealing with local dealers.

The very first thing that the Service Center asks is ā€œDid you purchased the vehicle though us?ā€ Presumption being that they prioritize and take-care-of-their-own better than the others.

Dealers have a lot of discretion under their dealership roofs and one of the few things that gets them motivated to help you is buying from them. Good luck trying to get special assistance or support when youā€™re just trying to chase the cheapest option.
Iā€™ve bought new cars all over the place Iā€™ve never had a service center ask about where the vehicle was purchased. Warranty work or otherwise.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Local dealer didnā€™t ask. Scheduled me promptly, changed the oil and handled the recall. What do you mean by special assistance or support? If it is warranty work they have to honor it. Money motivates the dealership and there are plenty of options , at least in my case. I just checked, there are 9 Ford dealerships within 30 minutes in my area of south central Pennsylvania and there are options. They are very aware. You do what works for you and I respect that, however I read a lot on here and other sources so I am comfortable with how I handled my purchase. Chapman sold a bunch of Maverickā€™s and few postings on here mentioned any issues or having any concerns getting service. Itā€™s all good I hope you enjoy your Maverick as much as I am.

Gone Postal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I ordered my Bronco Sport from a small dealer, the same dealer who sold me my F150.

When the salesman is the person whose name is on the door, it makes a difference in service. Ordered the BS at the end of january, locked in under MSRP, no game,s no BS, no added crap during the sale, just a straightforward transaction.

I'll be ordering my Maverick from them as soon as the order banks open. I won't willingly deal with a large dealer again.

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I honestly are very much concerned with the total allocations my dealer received or will receive. They wonā€™t say. I ordered in September and I have no VIN and no Scheduled build date. If I donā€™t get built MY22, and if I do decide to reorder I just may use the big dealers here, like Chapman in Philly, Granger in Iowa or Long MacArthur in Kansasā€¦ leaning toward Granger if they offer below invoice again. If I have to wait months, I at least want a discount. My only concern is how drop ship works and how relay your local dealer will be to service the Maverick that I didā€™t buy from them.šŸ˜³

Allocations are given out monthly..... So they won't know how many they will receive in the future.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't be so concerned with the *size* of the dealer, but rather their *reputation* & *quality* record as it pertains to treatment of customers.

STOP PATRONIZING these known scum bag dealers who continually screw customers! Ford is unwilling and unable to clean it up, so it's up to US to put them out of business! Do your research carefully!
Sponsored