Sponsored

In general, Is ordering from a very small dealership a bad idea?

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As concerns getting a 2023 Maverick ordered with the proper follow-through and eventual delivery.
Does it all come down to just the honesty and competence of your salesman or does dealership size play an important role?
Sponsored

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Allocations still matter regardless of what Ford says and even what zone your dealership is in, but probably more important is how many Maverick orders the dealer has versus their expected allocation. If there are only a couple of orders at a smaller dealer, that may be the way to go. Your options will also have something to do with it. So....it's a crapshoot. I chose to support my small local dealer who I trust and can go to for service. Even if you do wait a little longer, it may be worth it.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Allocations is crucial but just as crucial is that your dealer knows what they are doing in the order process.
There are tons of information on this site detailing the process from ordering, to DORA, to follow up.
I suggest you know exactly how and what must happen
DONā€™T ASSUME YOUR SALESMAN KNOWSā€¦even though itā€™s their job. The ordering process has changed for them and sometimes ā€œthe good ole boysā€ down the street arenā€™t up to speed for various reasons.
Watch out for YOUR best interest and donā€™t assume they will. Not being critical of small dealerships but there are strings of horror stories about big and small dealers all over this site.
Good luck and best wishes in getting a Maverick, mine has exceeded my expectations

Philemon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered an EB with no restrained items mid December and took delivery July 29. Very small dealer but great service and zero markup over MSRP other than $230 doc fee. Got 3.25% for 72 months from the local credit union so all in all a great experience.
Ford Maverick In general, Is ordering from a very small dealership a bad idea? PXL_20220729_202111849

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As concerns getting a 2023 Maverick ordered with the proper follow-through and eventual delivery.
Does it all come down to just the honesty and competence of your salesman or does dealership size play an important role?
A small dealer is the way to go as long as they are competent on the order process. I think each dealer should have to disclose how many allocation vs orders that they have. That way you can choose to place your order there or move on to anther dealer with more potential of getting your order filled. I ordered My XL EB from a smaller dealer on 1/5/2022, 2 weeks later I had a VIN, 2 weeks later I had a build date. My truck was built 3/9/2022 and received 4/4/2022. I could not complain with my local dealer and salesperson. Thanks to Liberty Ford, Vermilion, Ohio.

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A small dealer is the way to go as long as they are competent on the order process. I think each dealer should have to disclose how many allocation vs orders that they have. That way you can choose to place your order there or move on to anther dealer with more potential of getting your order filled. I ordered My XL EB from a smaller dealer on 1/5/2022, 2 weeks later I had a VIN, 2 weeks later I had a build date. My truck was built 3/9/2022 and received 4/4/2022. I could not complain with my local dealer and salesperson. Thanks to Liberty Ford, Vermilion, Ohio.
Nice that has to be a record. Shows you what the constaints may do. Nice truck.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I honestly are very much concerned with the total allocations my dealer received or will receive. They wonā€™t say. I ordered in September and I have no VIN and no Scheduled build date. If I donā€™t get built MY22, and if I do decide to reorder I just may use the big dealers here, like Chapman in Philly, Granger in Iowa or Long MacArthur in Kansasā€¦ leaning toward Granger if they offer below invoice again. If I have to wait months, I at least want a discount. My only concern is how drop ship works and how relay your local dealer will be to service the Maverick that I didā€™t buy from them.šŸ˜³

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I honestly are very much concerned with the total allocations my dealer received or will receive. They wonā€™t say. I ordered in September and I have no VIN and no Scheduled build date. If I donā€™t get built MY22, and if I do decide to reorder I just may use the big dealers here, like Chapman in Philly, Granger in Iowa or Long MacArthur in Kansasā€¦ leaning toward Granger if they offer below invoice again. If I have to wait months, I at least want a discount. My only concern is how drop ship works and how reluctant my local dealer will be to service the Maverick that I didā€™t buy from them.šŸ˜³

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered from a small dealer with proper follow through. I asked the dealer to confirm successful ROVP. I called ford to confirm ROVP and that the order was in good standing. 8 months later Ford has no record my order ever existed. Throughout the process and even when it all went bad there were red flags in things the dealer said that I just knew to be untrue. I just said well, I guess Iā€™m overreacting and everything will be ok. I made a color change at the 8th month and the dealer said done all good. From then on there was no record my order existed ever. So, small dealer I would be weary. They are probably small for a reason. I do like to support small business but Iā€™m scorned. I really wish I had ordered multiple Mavericks from multiple dealers like many did but at the time felt it was unethical to do so. I think itā€™s still unethical unless you cancel with the dealer after the first one is scheduled. Good Luck. Iā€™m going with Long McArthur for my round 2. Starting from scratch with no private offer or place in line. I feel cheated.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My town is so small it has only 2 car dealerships owned by the same company. Toyota and Ford. I went in Sept 5th I think. They had a 1295.00 ADM. I told the saleman, no ADM and MSRP and I will buy. He called me the next day said they dropped the ADM. I gave him a check for 500.00 on White XLT with only hitch option (simple order). Didn't sign a thing. The end of SEPT I locked in 1.9% financing and he called me back with a VIN number and build date. I stopped by a few times to say high and chat a few minutes on latest I heard off forum. I still do that. I NEVER got any emails from Ford. When the truck got here 97 days later, there was no funny business. Great dealer.

Sponsored

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A larger and more experienced dealer is more likely going to be the way to go, under these trying times. What stinks is for many these larger dealers are out of state.

What also needs to be considered is your future vehicles support. Going with a local dealer guarantees that you have that dealerships relationship established to get the much needed support for your future warranty and maintenance work.

Maverickblues

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if you are playing the odds, the dealers mentioned (Granger, Long McArthur, etc) are more of a sure thing. Smaller dealers are more like gambling. Could be very good or very bad. If you do go with a smaller dealer, ask to see the Dora. It will say approved on it and then you know for sure that the order was placed properly. Lots of horror stories about dealers that don't know how to place the order correctly. My order is with a mid size dealer who did not get an approval right away. I went back in a few weeks and they did show me the Dora. Should be good, time will tell.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When it comes to allocations and what I hear and what Ford says should happen and what should not happen it just leaves me wondering where the actual facts lie. So, I picked a small country dealership that has a superb reputation of telling the truth and putting customers and veterans first.

There is no way I would give up the LUX package on the XLT just to get it. I already own a truck without all that stuff that runs well. LOL. For me, the Mav is not worth having without it. I would just keep running what I already got.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Chapman Ford had over 200 orders last year when the 2022 Maverick ordering banks opened up and were more then competent As a matter of fact I did every bit of my order and buying process over phone, email and next day mail as they are in PA and I live in Georgia.

I received my Maverick in 4 months of order date.

Grainger Ford in Iowa had just as many order and were just as competent. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered from a small dealer with proper follow through. I asked the dealer to confirm successful ROVP. I called ford to confirm ROVP and that the order was in good standing. 8 months later Ford has no record my order ever existed. Throughout the process and even when it all went bad there were red flags in things the dealer said that I just knew to be untrue. I just said well, I guess Iā€™m overreacting and everything will be ok. I made a color change at the 8th month and the dealer said done all good. From then on there was no record my order existed ever. So, small dealer I would be weary. They are probably small for a reason. I do like to support small business but Iā€™m scorned. I really wish I had ordered multiple Mavericks from multiple dealers like many did but at the time felt it was unethical to do so. I think itā€™s still unethical unless you cancel with the dealer after the first one is scheduled. Good Luck. Iā€™m going with Long McArthur for my round 2. Starting from scratch with no private offer or place in line. I feel cheated.

I hate to say it, but they either never placed the order or the order was placed and the truck delivered. Once a truck is delivered, the order drops from the system.
Sponsored