Sponsored

General tips on ordering negotiations for 2022 Maverick? Is it even possible?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Escape was a brand new model just a year ago, and crossovers are as popular as ever and yet you can see some in that list with $29K MSRPs being advertised for just over $21K.
Until you get to the dealer and they add back on 8k in fees/markup/mandatory accessories or addons because they all know people are going to sort by lowest price.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Until you get to the dealer and they add back on 8k in fees/markup/mandatory accessories or addons because they all know people are going to sort by lowest price.
Could be, I'm used to getting huge discounts from MSRP shopping the big three, our Charger wasn't as extreme as the Ram, but I think we were right around $9K off. One thing is for certain, the economy is opening back up and these chip induced supply chain issues and the like won't last forever.

Lumber prices are already falling rapidly going from $1700 to $480/k in just a matter of months and by mid next year will probably be back in the $300s per normal, just like oil trading at negative values during the Trump administration was a COVID induced fluke that wasn't going to last, and we're back up to high gas prices again. There are quite a few vehicles that are already produced sitting in massive holding lots that are just waiting on a part or two, but once those come in you have a flood of vehicles hitting the market at once. Many businesses are also transitioning into a "new normal" in which perhaps as much as 25% of the workforce will be working remotely, reducing mileage on their vehicles and thus vehicle demand.

It would be a really bad sting if you panic/hype buy at the absolute peak of vehicle prices at full MSRP or higher only to see it tank in three years leaving you badly upside down, unless of course you don't have a vehicle or your vehicle is falling apart in which case you have no choice.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Escape wasn't a brand new model just a year ago. It's been around for 2 decades. Sure, there are redesigns every few years, but it doesn't make sense to compare that to the release of a brand new model.
The Ford Escape was a completely brand new model for 2020, sharing only the name with its predecessor. The Maverick is based on it, sharing a powertrain and basic chassis configuration.

Sure, the Escape name is recycled, but so too is the Maverick if we get technical.

When it comes to style of vehicle, the only truly ground breaking change is to introduce a hybrid powertrain, as size wise the Maverick isn't all that small really. Maverick is only about 10" shorter than a Ranger or Ridgeline or the finally new generation Frontier, about the length of a cucumber, or envelope, or cucumber in an envelope. And its actually half a cucumber longer than the new Santa Cruz that will also be in the market soon. Sorry, I'm eating a cucumber while checking the mail and reading my notifications.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Ford Escape was a completely brand new model for 2020, sharing only the name with its predecessor. The Maverick is based on it, sharing a powertrain and basic chassis configuration.

Sure, the Escape name is recycled, but so too is the Maverick if we get technical.

When it comes to style of vehicle, the only truly ground breaking change is to introduce a hybrid powertrain, as size wise the Maverick isn't all that small really. Maverick is only about 10" shorter than a Ranger or Ridgeline or the finally new generation Frontier, about the length of a cucumber, or envelope, or cucumber in an envelope. And its actually half a cucumber longer than the new Santa Cruz that will also be in the market soon. Sorry, I'm eating a cucumber while checking the mail and reading my notifications.
I can see your point, but I think the length is just one aspect of the shoe. If a mid-size like the ranger (which is what I currently have...FX4 which sits a little taller as well) is like a work boot, the maverick is more like a light hiking boot. not just smaller length, but a little shorter and skinnier all around. for example, the bed seems to be significantly lower. 6 inches doesn't sound like much...but at 5'10 I should be able to fully reach into the maverick...I can barely SEE into the bed of my ranger!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jcj280

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand everyone's rush to order a vehicle that isn't even on dealer lots yet, especially if you've gone 30 years with the same car already, whats a few months?

The very first batch are those that are likely to have the most initial bugs to work out, and I have never been able to pick a vehicle sight unseen because brand new vehicles can have issues that you have to inspect first.

For example when we were shopping for Dodge Chargers we had to rule out the first one we liked because the hood alignment was out of whack and protrusion on the rear passenger door also seemed excessive running your finger down it compared to the others that were perfectly even and flush. You have to drive the individual one around and listen for noises and what not as even purchasing our Mercedes GLA we found one made a rattle sound, popped off the big plastic engine cover and noticed that they plastic weld this metal plate to the bottom of it, and one of the parts where it melts a plastic tab in place was missing causing it to vibrate. You can handle some of that under warranty, but who wants to deal with warranty problems when these are mass produced vehicles and they'll probably pump a hundred thousand of these out every year?

I'm not bothering to try and negotiate until plenty of these are sitting on every Ford dealer's lots and I can test drive the one I decide on with a couple "runners up" to fall back to if that one has issues and they don't have another similar one on the lot, which I'm guessing will be a non-issue by January or February.

OK first off, couple people said I've had my 284,000 mile volvo for 30 years. It's 30 years old, but I'm the second owner who has had it through March, and I already have multiple people who wanna buy it for more than I paid. It's reliable and awesome, but because of the years and miles when something goes bad it'll be expensive. Still, I do love that thing. I may just keep it, but I'm not really a car guy and I'd rather just have a nice new car under warranty that I can pay off quickly and not worry about, but it's also a truck.

The old "first model year is always unreliable" adage can still be true, but it's significantly less true than it was decades ago. The inside of the Maverick is pretty basic and filled with Ford buttons and switches they have in other cars. Nothing in there seems proprietary. This thing is essentially the Escape hybrid with a bed.

Ford will be filling back orders from dealers for a while. The store I bought my Mavrick from had SIX new cars. Dealer markups may be normal for a while. They didn't seem to think inventory would be stabilized for over a year. Also I do think the Maverick is gonna be a huge hit, which means the price will go up next model year.

Sponsored

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
I don't understand everyone's rush to order a vehicle that isn't even on dealer lots yet, especially if you've gone 30 years with the same car already, whats a few months?

The very first batch are those that are likely to have the most initial bugs to work out, and I have never been able to pick a vehicle sight unseen because brand new vehicles can have issues that you have to inspect first.

For example when we were shopping for Dodge Chargers we had to rule out the first one we liked because the hood alignment was out of whack and protrusion on the rear passenger door also seemed excessive running your finger down it compared to the others that were perfectly even and flush. You have to drive the individual one around and listen for noises and what not as even purchasing our Mercedes GLA we found one made a rattle sound, popped off the big plastic engine cover and noticed that they plastic weld this metal plate to the bottom of it, and one of the parts where it melts a plastic tab in place was missing causing it to vibrate. You can handle some of that under warranty, but who wants to deal with warranty problems when these are mass produced vehicles and they'll probably pump a hundred thousand of these out every year?

I'm not bothering to try and negotiate until plenty of these are sitting on every Ford dealer's lots and I can test drive the one I decide on with a couple "runners up" to fall back to if that one has issues and they don't have another similar one on the lot, which I'm guessing will be a non-issue by January or February.
Reason for ordering is to keep the dealer from jacking up over the MSRP for a hot new model. There will be short supply and increasing demand, and with the cost of EVERYTHING going up right now, Ford will not keep the pricing where it is for long. I’m hopeful that the build quality is acceptable to take delivery when it arrives, and I have 3-5 years of warranty if any issues. If it fails to serve my needs or it is poor quality, I can likely get a good price for it. Low risk in my mind. If I don’t like it, I can walk away.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
there's some solid reasoning behind the 2 approaches of locking in your order now to remove unknowns vs. waiting until mass production is underway and bugs should be worked out and less frenzy around buying a potentially high demand vehicle. I'm the kind of buyer who wants to read some tests reports, take a test drive and climb all over the thing before deciding to buy. Living in SoCal most my life with hundreds of dealers it was an easy exercise and usually there were lots of vehicles on lots to compare workmanship side by side for flaws, etc. I did my homework with Edmonds and others to know what I should be paying and was never afraid to walk away.

Now I live in a small town with 1 local Ford dealer and another 50 miles away and they typically don't have Demo models sitting around for test drives and such. If they do (Usually an F-150) they are maxed out on options and they aren't configured for my needs and there's no stripped XL versions around to haggle price over. The best experience I ever had was buying using Costco fixxed price plan many years ago- and ordering direct is probably the closest to that given my circumstances- and the local dealer was totally OK with that when I was considering a Ranger last year and didn't talk about price bumps, etc. As it turns out, I can't buy until I sell an old house I'm still working on before listing and that is a built in limiting factor which prevents me from getting too excited over this. It also allows for some actual test reports, crash ratings, MPG numbers released in the meantime which could deter me or incentivise me to pull the trigger and order direct. It also may determine whether I just agree to pay MSRP or haggle based on any flaws uncovered over next few months that may slow the hype and moderate the pricing.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The old "first model year is always unreliable" adage can still be true, but it's significantly less true than it was decades ago. The inside of the Maverick is pretty basic and filled with Ford buttons and switches they have in other cars. Nothing in there seems proprietary. This thing is essentially the Escape hybrid with a bed.
I agree, it'll probably be OK, but as an FYI first year Ford Escape Hybrid had reliability issues according to Consumer Report's subscribers. This is the April 2021 issue, which means that predicted reliability is based on bad survey scores of 2020 model owners:
Ford Maverick General tips on ordering negotiations for 2022 Maverick? Is it even possible? Capture (1).JPG

With Santa Cruz pricing released, I'm 90% on board with the Maverick, but I wouldn't buy either until they have a full press release so we can get plenty of professional reviews and there are plenty of these vehicles on dealer lots so that prices will be more flexible. I'd guess by February all the COVID hype will have finally died down and people will be chill again and back to work and settled into a more normal lifestyle.

BTW, speaking of Consumer Reports, I very nearly bought a Kia Soul but dodged a bullet, as people are having big time reliability issues with them which no one expected. They fixed the main issue w/ CVTs supposedly, but not until about a year and a half into production with a rolling update. A brand new vehicle sight unseen without any reviews even out yet is a roll of the dice IMO, especially if paying markup.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
With Santa Cruz pricing released, I'm 90% on board with the Maverick, but I wouldn't buy either until they have a full press release so we can get plenty of professional reviews and there are plenty of these vehicles on dealer lots so that prices will be more flexible.....A brand new vehicle sight unseen without any reviews even out yet is a roll of the dice IMO, especially if paying markup.

Good points here. Of course, by the time the VAST majority of us are ABLE to buy one of these, there WILL be a full press release, professional reviews and etc. To get my reservation in, it took a total of 1 email, 3 texts and about 2 hours. I won't part with a penny of my money until I've driven it and I've either locked down the best pricing we'll see for quite awhile OR, worst case, I might potentially overpay by what, a thousand or two?
The Cost Benefit Analysis here suggests to me that as long as you're not getting roped into non refundable deposits at this point? Getting a reservation in makes total sense unless you're VERY price sensitive.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good points here. Of course, by the time the VAST majority of us are ABLE to buy one of these, there WILL be a full press release, professional reviews and etc. To get my reservation in, it took a total of 1 email, 3 texts and about 2 hours. I won't part with a penny of my money until I've driven it and I've either locked down the best pricing we'll see for quite awhile OR, worst case, I might potentially overpay by what, a thousand or two?
The Cost Benefit Analysis here suggests to me that as long as you're not getting roped into non refundable deposits at this point? Getting a reservation in makes total sense unless you're VERY price sensitive.
Yeah, good point. I agree with not paying MSRP or worse, ADM, but I think if you’re that price conscious maybe waiting until these things are used may be a good idea, but then you’re putting it off for quite a while (with trucks holding their value pretty well, maybe longer) and who knows their current car situation. I think it’s up to the individual to know their financial situation and use their best judgement. Obviously there are a lot of great posts here to guide folks in making that decision, but a nonrefundable deposit doesn’t make sense either if you are on the fence about the Maverick or want to see it in person first before making that decision.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jcj280

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think another big point to make here when debating how/when to buy based on potential discounts or incentives is that the Maverick is a pretty budget car. Cars that tend to get multi thousand dollar discounts are usually far more expensive and tricked out than the $26,000 ish truck most people are gonna buy (I'm guessing mass market wise the most popular model is gonna be the hybrid XLT, probably with the luxury trim). That's $15,000 less than the average new car right now (ugh). If you go and try and buy a similarly priced Civic at a Honda dealer even before the craziness of the current car market, you may get a grand off with a Honda cash bonus or maybe you find a weird model that they'll knock $1500 off or something. Big rebates and discounts usually come from a year old model on a fairly expensive car/truck that has some weird trims and has been sitting on the lot for a bit.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Reason for ordering is to keep the dealer from jacking up over the MSRP for a hot new model. There will be short supply and increasing demand, and with the cost of EVERYTHING going up right now, Ford will not keep the pricing where it is for long. I’m hopeful that the build quality is acceptable to take delivery when it arrives, and I have 3-5 years of warranty if any issues. If it fails to serve my needs or it is poor quality, I can likely get a good price for it. Low risk in my mind. If I don’t like it, I can walk away.
I guess we all should be thankful our must-have vehicle is not a Toyota 4Runner, some really crazy things happening with supply-demand- over sticker price dynamics.....
Toyota 4Runner Markups (jalopnik.com)
Ford Maverick General tips on ordering negotiations for 2022 Maverick? Is it even possible? 4Runner

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
I'm trying to get in my head what price I will be paying. I ordered and now "unscheduled/clean". Heard about "price protection" But talked to the dealer today he said they didn't know what the price might be when the unit arrives. I thought I was buying at the MSRP price. He indicated the price could be 1k to 5k more. WHATS UP WITH THAT? How are you to know what the heck you are going to pay?
Did you put down a deposit? If so you should have a price in writing which, I would think, is legally binding.
Find a different dealer!

teamster02

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking of leasing it for a couple of years. Supposedly the xlt has the highest residual. If I like it and it has no issues I'll buy it. If not, I give it back.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
The price was shown at the time of the "Build" on the Ford site. The signature was a confirmation of the order, and no deposit.
I made my order in person. They came in $10 below Ford.com pricing, tacked on a $84 charge of some sort (doc fee?), took my $500 deposit, and gave me paperwork showing my balance on delivery. No small print at all.
Don't accept vagueness. It will probably take a deposit to pin them down. Good Luck BH.
Sponsored