First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are just tuning it differently. Ford seems to do that a lot between trims and vehicles with the 2.0 and 2.3 engines.

There is a Ford Performance tune available for the Ranger (took about a year to come out...here is hoping there is one for the Maverick, since it is fully warrantied!) - that tune adds 45hp and 70 torque. I would absolutely fork out for something similar for the Maverick!
Iā€™ve seen a few non warrantied tunes on the maverick getting around 300/340. So I think itā€™s feasible we could see a 30/50 increase from a ford performance future tune. I would buy one, if I ever get a maverick delivered and they are available
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 2.3T is already used on this platform in the Lincoln Corsair, so it should fit no problem

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a Ford Performance tune available for the Ranger (took about a year to come out...here is hoping there is one for the Maverick, since it is fully warrantied!) - that tune adds 45hp and 70 torque. I would absolutely fork out for something similar for the Maverick!
FWIW, I talked to some folks at Ford Performance and while they let me know they could not say if a product that was not yet released was in development, they did state that no one was aware of any tune for the Maverick planned or in the works at this time (About 6 weeks ago). Doesn't mean it's not something that may happen, but it seems like it won't be anytime soon if it does.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
FWIW, I talked to some folks at Ford Performance and while they let me know they could not say if a product that was not yet released was in development, they did state that no one was aware of any tune for the Maverick planned or in the works at this time (About 6 weeks ago). Doesn't mean it's not something that may happen, but it seems like it won't be anytime soon if it does.
It's unfortunate but it is the reality; there simply will not be a Ford Performance tune for the 2.0L Maverick. Ford is already pushing the envelope with the 8F35. The Lincoln Corsair with 2.3L only claims an addtional 30 torque, bringing it to 310 lb-ft and it has an 8F40. Ford's not going to release a tune that maintains warranty with 45 extra horses and 60 extra torque. They can do that for the Ranger because it has a 10R80 which is rated up to 590 lb-ft. The Ranger with Ford's +60 tune only puts it 370 lb-ft so Ford can safely offer the tune that's warranty friendly.

I would not rule out a performance variant from Ford; at a premium of course, but any bolt-on Ford Performance parts and/or a tune just won't be happening. Aftermarket will be the only option.

Just a matter of time before one of the modded Maverick owners finds the limits of the current transmission. We're still relatively early but since I've seen a few tuned vehicles that I suspect are already testing the limits, it shouldn't be long.

Dave

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if you wanna make more power that 2.0 can be "tuned" and new inter-cooler upgrades, etc... would be a lot easier/cheaper than engine swap + extra upgrades it would need as well. check out any of the focus st forums - however if's you just wanna go a different route to be different there's probably room for a twin turbo v-6 :cautious:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's unfortunate but it is the reality; there simply will not be a Ford Performance tune for the 2.0L Maverick. Ford is already pushing the envelope with the 8F35. The Lincoln Corsair with 2.3L only claims an addtional 30 torque, bringing it to 310 lb-ft and it has an 8F40. Ford's not going to release a tune that maintains warranty with 45 extra horses and 60 extra torque. They can do that for the Ranger because it has a 10R80 which is rated up to 590 lb-ft. The Ranger with Ford's +60 tune only puts it 370 lb-ft so Ford can safely offer the tune that's warranty friendly.

I would not rule out a performance variant from Ford; at a premium of course, but any bolt-on Ford Performance parts and/or a tune just won't be happening. Aftermarket will be the only option.

Just a matter of time before one of the modded Maverick owners finds the limits of the current transmission. We're still relatively early but since I've seen a few tuned vehicles that I suspect are already testing the limits, it shouldn't be long.

Dave
I assume you are talking about the tranny? You can stress it out pulling 4K but canā€™t add a little hp? What if you werenā€™t pulling anything? Iā€™m not an engine/tranny guru.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I assume you are talking about the tranny? You can stress it out pulling 4K but canā€™t add a little hp? What if you werenā€™t pulling anything? Iā€™m not an engine/tranny guru.
So long as your vehicle is rated for 4k towing capacity, Ford says you can safely tow up to 4k. Now, if you exceed that 4k capacity you will be putting additional stress on the transmission and the rest of the vehicle/powertrain that it has not been designed for. Same logic should apply to upping horsepower and torque, as you will be placing additional stress on parts that are not designed for it.

In terms of torque handling, the 8F35 Transmission is designed to be used in vehicles with up to 350 Nm (hence the 35 in 8F35). 350 Nm is approx. 257 ft-lb, but the Maverick in stock form supposedly has 277 ft-lb @ 3k rpm. So in stock form the Maverick exceeds the rated torque capacity of the transmission that Ford chose to give us, which I will admit seems very bizarre. My guess is that is why there is so much torque management in the stock tuning so that Ford could safely use the lesser transmission in this application.

Considering the torque rating is already being exceeded in stock form, once folks tune out the torque management nannies and bump the peak by 50-70 ft-lbs (or more), I imagine it's only a matter of time before something gives. Because of the 8F35 transmission alone, I don't foresee Ford Performance ever offering a tune for this platform. And for those who decide to tune and do various bolt-ons, I'd suggest keeping a few grand aside for when that transmission needs rebuild/replacement. I'd like to think an 8F57 would mate perfectly and be a solid choice for replacement, but only time will tell.

Dave

Last edited:

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Now back to your original question, say you stumbled upon a transverse 2.3L from our preppy cousin the Lincoln Corsair, sure, it should be nearly a direct swap. A 2.3L from a Focus RS on the other hand would probably be way more involved on the electronic side but certainly doable with enough time and money. But with the stock 8F35 transmission, either swap is questionable at best. I'd say have an 8F57 or built 8F40/35 minimum lined up ready to swap in with a 2.3L.

Regardless, for significantly less time and probably money, one should be able to do an intercooler, intake, full exhaust, larger turbo, pump, injectors and tune on their 2.0L, have a load of power on tap, and then just be sure to save a few thousand for that rainy day if/when the transmission needs repair/replacement. Now if you just do all of those goodies but don't beat on it at every take off, you might be fine for a good while, who knows. Some folks will want to taste that power every chance they get though, and those will likely be the first who need transmission help. I do say it is a decent sign that we haven't seen any reported problems so far, but going off of the ratings I think it's just a matter of time. We also haven't seen a full bolt-on Maverick with a solid tune/numbers either. I think shortly after that comes, transmission talk will be more prevalent.

Interesting topic though. I just don't see the average jane or joe doing any kind of engine swap on a Maverick. It will take someone or a shop/business who bought a Maverick exclusively to play with. You or me or anyone commenting so far likely will never actually pull a transmission or engine from their Maverick let alone do full bolt-ons and tune of their current 2.0L.

Dave

Last edited:

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I actually think 2 500ci fwd 1970 caddy motors would go perfect in the Mav. 800hp no sweat. Just link up the throttle and the put a manual valvebody in the trans and link them. The fact that its ifs/irs should make it an easy setup.

Sponsored

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2.3 block is weak. The 2.0 is stronger and will handle more boost. The 2.3 rotating assembly drops right in the 2.0 block.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are just tuning it differently. Ford seems to do that a lot between trims and vehicles with the 2.0 and 2.3 engines.

Rented a 2.3 mustang šŸŽ That thing had some surprising get up and go !

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recommend either changing transmission, also, or at least looking up limitations of the 8 speed in the truck. If I'm not mistaken, it's currently near limit.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I recommend either changing transmission, also, or at least looking up limitations of the 8 speed in the truck. If I'm not mistaken, it's currently near limit.
The transmission is a 8f35, with a torque rating of 350 nm. 350 nm is equal to 258 ft lbs, and the Maverick is rated at 277 ft lbs, not sure how this is right, lol.
Sponsored