First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doesn’t AWD kick out over a certain speed and back in under a certain speed? Otherwise it would be 4WD.

Just curious 🤨
No, that isn't how AWD works. There are some systems out there that do that to a degree. My Pilot had a VTM4 button, or something like that. It would lock all 4 wheels in up to 18mph then shut off, but AWD was still active over that speed, just not all 4 fully locked.

On the Mav's, AWD is probably not active at all until it sees a different speed of the front tires compared to the back. I think it said somewhere that the wheel sensors read 62,500 times each second, which is absolutely nuts...
Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Doesn’t AWD kick out over a certain speed and back in under a certain speed? Otherwise it would be 4WD.

Just curious 🤨
Spins up front and it's gonna transfer some to the back.

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just some things I have learned reading through various posts on the forum.
Changing anything to get more power, is only going to cause problems. The transaxle on the Maverick as it comes from the factory is already to light duty to handle the power that the current 2.0l engine can produce. In fact the computer is already controlling the torque, to the transaxle as to not ruin it. So we are left with choices. Just go with it and hope the transaxle dont blow, or finding another transaxle that can handle the load. Ford does make a heaver duty transaxle. Others on this forum have pointed this out, questioning as to why Ford did not place the heavy duty transaxle in the Maverick.

So all might search out more information before committing the $$$$ to change anything in the drive line, to handle the additional power. Might even check the Bronco to see if parts can be interchanged. ( Transaxle and differential come to mind) The differential that comes with the AWD Maverick will not lock up like the Bronco's.

You will probably need to replace the transaxle, differential and brakes, to support added power and a lift kit with larger tires. Other wise the Maverick will not be able to handle the added stress.

I remember we had to do the same to the original Maverick when we hopped them up. The Mustangs had many of the parts needed. Sleeper or Drag strip was deciding factors. We had a lot of fun with them if we made sure we kept the rules. ie. drive train must be designed for the output power we wanted.

I hope you can have fun with your plans.

BE SAFE!!!

Mike

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
These rigs are going to tune about 300hp max stock. So fwd is more than enough.. You will be looking at more turbo after this and the awd system will likely be the weak point after 300hp. So for any serious stock or upgrade fwd will be fine. After this its big money for turbo, transmission and likely awd system upgrades. If you have the money why not but for normal people this is not going to happen.

I am a tuner from the bmw world and we tune 400+ hp with rear wheel drive (I know not fwd) but we avoid the awd due to the extra cost of upgrading the awd system and the added parts that can be break down.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These rigs are going to tune about 300hp max stock. So fwd is more than enough.. You will be looking at more turbo after this and the awd system will likely be the weak point after 300hp. So for any serious stock or upgrade fwd will be fine. After this its big money for turbo, transmission and likely awd system upgrades. If you have the money why not but for normal people this is not going to happen.

I am a tuner from the bmw world and we tune 400+ hp with rear wheel drive (I know not fwd) but we avoid the awd due to the extra cost of upgrading the awd system and the added parts that can be break down.
This might be one of those times where it's fairly easy to get maybe 10-15 hp but to get much more you will have to bend over backward. At this point the only mod I would consider is a performance intake since it's simple to install and isn't going to damage anything.

Ford didn't design the drive train to be heavy duty/high performance with a big margin of error anyway. Go much over the rated hp and torque and you are going to break something. This is basically a light duty truck. The fact that they can wring the amount of performance that they have is great.

It will be fun to see what people can get out of it but you get the feeling this is going to involve blown transmissions, cv joints and differentials.
Sponsored