Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are at the "wright flyer" stage or maybe a bit past. I'll wait until they hit the jet age, thank you. Hybrids are the immediate future.
Toyota thinks (plug-in) hybrids are the future too.
Sponsored

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would I buy a full EV?
In short no.
It's just not feasible. Too short of range and too long of charging.
A plug in hybrid? Yes probably. But a full EV? Not unless they cut charging time from near 0 to 100 to like 15 min.
Honestly, I’m with Dimes pretty much. But I would get a PHEV in a heart beat if they were afFORDable.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is that Tesla’s software does all the recharging routing decisions for you. Nevertheless, it takes about 1/2 an hr at a supercharger station to top of the battery per my BIL. His trips in his Tesla between Upstate NY and Atlanta involve a lot of recharging.
My BIL is retired too, so he has time on his hands to do the recharging on long trips.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thread is missing a needed qualifying word "today" or "tomorrow". As a huge BEV fan who doesn't own a BEV, I obviously made the personal decision that nobody sells a BEV today that meets my personal use case (cost, performance, usability).

Tomorrow? That's a whole different question. BEV tech is progressing at light speed, mainly because every OEM on the planet is putting the majority of their R&D funding into BEV development. Multiple OEMs have said no more ICE vehicles. Volvo is all electric by 2025 for example. Tesla's already all Electric, as is Lucid. Believe it or not, Cadillac is rapidly moving to be an all electric brand.

Again speaking as a BEV fan, I RESPECT most of the arguments put forth by other posters who aren't fans. You're right for you. Today BEVs tend to be expensive, with ranges and recharging time and availability and cold weather performance that should give you real pause if your life doesn't match current BEV attributes.

But I'd encourage you to keep your eyes open and monitor the progress of the technology and infrastructure over the next few years. I think you'll like what you see around 2025. And I'd bet real money the average First World car buyer will be salivating for a BEV well before 2030. Yea, even those who have diesel fuel running through their veins.

So there's yesterday, today, and tomorrow. And my answer to the OP depends on which he's asking about.
Good post. Our Federal govt will support - pay for - a lot of the charging network that future drivers will come to rely on and will support research into improving EVs and battery technology. I personally welcome this role for government, but a lot of people would not.

Bigronron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus rx350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
I wouldn’t buy, I need the practicality of the hybrid without plugging in. Hybrids are so underrated. Everyone’s pushing for full EV, yet I believe we are skipping the most crucial step.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn’t buy, I need the practicality of the hybrid without plugging in. Hybrids are so underrated. Everyone’s pushing for full EV, yet I believe we are skipping the most crucial step.
I've come to that conclusion myself but I want to plug in hybrid with a larger battery. If I can get 25 to 50 miles without the engine kicking in, that would be great. The plug-in part of the hybrid, just another way to charge the battery as needed.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've come to that conclusion myself but I want to plug in hybrid with a larger battery. If I can get 25 to 50 miles without the engine kicking in, that would be great. The plug-in part of the hybrid, just another way to charge the battery as needed.
That's exactly it. You get the benefits of both an EV and an ICE while mitigating most of the problems.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
No.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
around $47k I think

Base maverick is $21k vs base F150 at $31k so $10k apart. That would put a base Maverick EV around $37k.
$37k for Mav EV. Nice price if we can get it.

AURktman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-X
Engine
Undecided
I wouldn't as I go on long trips from time to time and I do not want to use up travel time sitting at a charger.

Sponsored

Bigsam411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't as I go on long trips from time to time and I do not want to use up travel time sitting at a charger.

I drove a Tesla for a couple years (It got totaled sadly). You wouldn't necessarily be spending as much time at chargers on road trips as you think. EVs have a charge curve where the charge speed ramps up between certain %'s. So like an F-150 Lightning will ramp up to 170KW (If I recall correctly) at around 20% and stay at that speed until 80% where the charge speed drops off a cliff. That means you would want to keep the car charged between 20-80% for the fastest charging times.

What I am saying in more laymans terms is that these EVs will route you to chargers along your route and they will try to make it so that you arrive at the charger at optimal charge level so you get the fastest charging speeds and leave before it slows down. That would keep you charging for the least amount of time. And if you want more charge you can stay longer too. In one instance I had to keep my car charging to 100% even though it meant an extra 30 minutes simply because I knew my destination would only have a 120 outlet and no nearby chargers. That of course is getting better over time.

All that said I would certainly trade in my 23 Maverick I have on order and buy an EV Maverick once they announce one hopefully around 2025 or 2026.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They might be a hoot to drive, but it comes at a premium cost. The benefits don’t outweigh the risk of ownership.
Risk? They come
No transportation is carbon neutral except a horse. All Cars emit co2 in one fashion or another. Net zero is what is touted by every EV expert because nothing exits the tailpipe. The truth is you burn fossil fuels to build and power an EV so not neutral either. With over 60% of the world producing dirty energy EV neutrality gets more complicated.
LOL. True. Though, Tesla IS putting a crap ton of solar panels on all their factories... I know... nothing is carbon neutral... But, it's a start. Once you can get your power without burning something, everything gets a little cleaner... in theory, at least.

TyPope

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A plug in hybrid is not an EV. It's still a hybrid.

Good luck during the next brown out btw.
You DO understand that plug-in hybrids don't HAVE to be plugged in, right? You could go years without plugging it in and just run it off gas... Which is a problem with plug-in hybrids... owners get lazy and don't plug them in and end up getting mediocre gas mileage with the underpowered gas engine. They're great for people who take the time to plug them in though... So I've heard.

Sembazuru

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So it would have Gas and Electric. The Electric can self generate and Plug in? Is that what you are saying?
Cool. I might be interested in that. But then again, it would take forever at 110V. I'd still have to upgrade electric service and panel.

But thanks for explaining.
You may not need an electrical upgrade. (I don't know your panel. For example, I would need some sort of upgrade as my panel doesn't have any empty slots to add another circuit for charging. That's what I get for having an older house with only a 100A service...) For a deeper understanding to better decide if an EV would possibly be useful in your own circumstances, check out this video:

BTW, this channel creates their own captions (instead of relying on YouTube's auto-captioning). And he often adds some humor to his captions. I don't recall if there any cases of him doing that on this video, but if you decide to watch more of his videos I would highly encourage turning on captioning.

garrlker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 AWD Maverick Cyber Orange 4K Towing FX4 Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If Ford announces a PHEV for full EV Maverick I would place an order immediately.

However, I'd only go with the PHEV if it had a drive train akin to the Rav4 Prime. I avoided the regular Hybrid because of lack of AWD and overall lower power.

If Ford made a dual motor EV Mav, regardless of range I would place an order immediately.
Sponsored