Sponsored

Fully Electric Maverick EV hint dropped by Ford??

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I often rent cars for drive-intensive trips. When I go to visit family in Texas I usually end up putting about 2500 miles on the car in a week. Until COVID hit, if I planned ahead I was often able to rent a car for less than $200.

By renting, I get to put all that wear-and-tear on someone else's nearly new car, not mine. Plus... I get to try out a different kind of car now and then. It worked for me...
I guess I've always bought cars with the intention to enjoy them, not for them to sit in a garage. We're about to drive our Genesis from GA to MO to CO to UT to NV and back, leaving next week - total of about 4,500 miles in one go. I have already paid for the Genesis, and no matter what I do, it's going to lose value. Renting any car will be expensive these days. So let's say I pay a few hundred dollars for a rental Sentra. I have now spent 4,500 miles in a lesser car and paid more out of pocket. All.. for what, exactly? What did I gain?

I am not actually trying to be critical. I seriously do wish someone could help me understand why people do this (I believe it to be common). Unless my car was very unreliable or a collectors item, I paid for it and intend to use it and enjoy it - not preserve it for the next owner, who will probably just trash it anyway.

I would rent a car if I was interested in trying that particular car out before buying. Completely different scenario.
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not actually trying to be critical. I seriously do wish someone could help me understand why people do this (I believe it to be common)
We've tried to help you understand. There's not much more to be said. By contrast, I can easily understand your point of view.

Maybe it would help if you focused on the difference between understanding and agreeing.

Or maybe not...

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I can not have a vehicle that requires more than 10 minutes to re-fuel for my next 400 mile drive. Around the city ok.
Me neither. When I did travel, I wanted to make mileage, get to my destination fast. Heck, I even hated to stop to fill up back then.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Me neither. When I did travel, I wanted to make mileage, get to my destination fast. Heck, I even hated to stop to fill up back then.
I ordered my Hybrid almost to the day a month after you. Except for color just about the same no rear slider and hard cover. Will be waiting for you to post up when you get some good news. :)

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry I can not have a vehicle that requires more than 10 minutes to re-fuel for my next 400 mile drive. Around the city ok.
If it only took 10 minutes I'd be on it like a duck on a June bug.

After 400 miles I need a break at least twice that long just to unkink my back. I understand that you wouldn't like it, but it would be no problem for me at all.

Unfortunately, it takes quite a bit longer than 10 minutes even on a high-speed charger.

Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn’t spare one second trading in our Tesla for a Mav Lightening. If they can (which by then should be able to) get it 350-400mi range, it’s on. Ford is far ahead in adapting to this change and I have no doubt this is in Farley’s playbook. We have not seen $F hit $30 a share since I think 1998. But it will if they execute the transition right.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it only took 10 minutes I'd be on it like a duck on a June bug.

After 400 miles I need a break at least twice that long just to unkink my back. I understand that you wouldn't like it, but it would be no problem for me at all.

Unfortunately, it takes quite a bit longer than 10 minutes even on a high-speed charger.
I’ve driven our Tesla from NYC to Lincoln City, OR. Range and charging is really no issue at all, just have to change our mindsets and habits. It can be cumbersome at times but so can getting gas at near $4/g. I’m not trying to save the planet with our EV - we also have a V8 F150 galloping around- just saying EVs are quite fine

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
just saying EVs are quite fine
We're headed in that direction. Next car will probably be an EV. Just waiting for charging options to fill in a bit more along our usual paths in the desert states.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're headed in that direction. Next car will probably be an EV. Just waiting for charging options to fill in a bit more along our usual paths in the desert states.
I would love to see more chargers at trailheads, wilderness parking lots, and places like that. That’s the primary reason we keep our F150, soon to be Maverick along side our Tesla. There’s a gas pump in nearly every remote Colorado town, not so much a charger… yet.

tateconcepts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Subaru Forrester Sport
Did Mike Levine (director of Ford vehicle communications) just hint at an electric Maverick BEV?

Bingo. We can't clear out the items for lower end autos and drive EV strategy, these compete with each other in the product lines. Also, if this were also offered - it would reduce the margins on the F150 already established and frankly would be leaving a lot of money on the table. The business units most affected by the upcoming truck EV revolution will certainly be the Ranger and F150 lines. The Bronco may also be in this space soon with GMC and Rivian both targeting a similar segment. I do think that they will delay this for at least the next three years, possibly seven. It really depends on how fast the "electrification transformation" occurs in the American defense and energy industries. It also greatly depends on how deep this new infrastructure bill helps in this, as I know there are portions of it tied to lithium salts.

Sponsored

jwesterly

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger, next...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lots of factual information, misinformation, speculation and opinion in this thread.

Here's my .02, most of my information comes off web searches.

The average one way commute to work is 16 miles. (FACT)

In September, the average new car cost was $45,031. (FACT)

Escape hybrid base MSRP is over 28k, plug-in MSRP is over 33k. (FACT)

Electricity cost is based on what your utility charges. (FACT)

I am on Flint Energy, a co-op. I pay 10.55 cents a KW, 24/7. No peak charges. (FACT)

The electrical grids ability to supply enough electricity to recharge thousands of EV's is based on the region you live in. (OPINION)

Sometime in the future, the current fuel tax will be scrapped as more EV's are sold and less ICE vehicles are on the road. (OPINION)

In our current situation, one EV with a 35 mile range will meet all of our daily driving needs. Anything beyond a "daily driving need" we can own a second vehicle, (hybrid or ICE) or rent a vehicle.

On long trips we usually rent. When we get home, our cars are in the garage, clean, full of gas and ready to go. We hand the keys back to Enterprise and say thank you. They clean off the bugs and dig the french fries out from under the seats, we go home and relax.

jwesterly

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger, next...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
to add to what you have said:
+agreed, a modest 32ish mi/charge would satisfy the vast majority of daily commutes (google how much is the average commute).
+a modest phev battery size (as opposed to a full bev) suits me fine as I would also be concerned about an eventual normal traction battery replacement cost.
+a modest size phev battery more easily fits in with the current home garage overnight charging capability without rewiring for 220v
+keep in mind the hybrid and potential phev likely aren't only for the us market and to be say, sold in Latin American markets we can't always talk of our "bev's and fast charging infrastructure".
+I believe the latest washington bills include something like $7.5k tax rebate for bev and phev vehicles. Imagine that-you could see a 20k maverick jump in list price to 27.5k and not pay a cent more for ford to include a bigger battery and AC charger!
+the auto industry is changing fast towards electrification as I just watched Lisa Drake on autoline this week.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

to add to what you have said:
+agreed, a modest 32ish mi/charge would satisfy the vast majority of daily commutes (google how much is the average commute).
+a modest phev battery size (as opposed to a full bev) suits me fine as I would also be concerned about an eventual normal traction battery replacement cost.
+a modest size phev battery more easily fits in with the current home garage overnight charging capability without rewiring for 220v
+keep in mind the hybrid and potential phev likely aren't only for the us market and to be say, sold in Latin American markets we can't always talk of our "bev's and fast charging infrastructure".
+I believe the latest washington bills include something like $7.5k tax rebate for bev and phev vehicles. Imagine that-you could see a 20k maverick jump in list price to 27.5k and not pay a cent more for ford to include a bigger battery and AC charger!
+the auto industry is changing fast towards electrification as I just watched Lisa Drake on autoline this week.

To charge a PHEV on the 120v would take over 10 hours, and many people wouldn't want to do this during prime time. The cost to add a 220v line to the garage is roughly $500 (depends on where your panel is located)

I think many people want a PHEV Maverick (I'm one of them) but the Maverick has sold better than Ford was expecting. So a PHEV will happen, and I'm sure the next Gen Maverick will get a lighting version too, it will be part of the evolution of the Maverick.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE, MachE, Explorer, C10
Engine
Undecided
Looked into a Maverick Hybrid as a second vehicle to replace our Explorer. At $3.35 a gallon our Explorer and C10 just sit and having a BEV with a truck bed and tow rating would be great. Now I noticed a BEV Mav may be just a year or so away I may just hold out on our next vehicle.

Really would like it to have 200+ miles of range and RWD or AWD. Personally do not like the feel of a FWD vehicle.

Hope this happens soon for under $25k.