Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Billkowski

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess I'm bit of a neanderthal, not ready for hybrid/EV stuff yet. Curious if values are hit much in hybrid/EVs like 4 years down the road when you might want to trade? The battery could be halfway or more through its life at that point depending on how it was driven.
Sponsored

Guardian

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smartcar,Alfa Romeo Spyder,Pontiac GTO,Taurus SHO
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I love my hybrid,but full EV....no way!!! Only 7,000 sites across the country are available to charge you up. The infrastructure simply has not had the chance to catch up.

RCollins

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anybody that buys a full EV vehicle thinks they are saving the environment, I have news for you. No you are not. You create more pollution just mining the elements out of the earth, and transporting/processing them to make the batteries and when you recharge, you are just, most likely, using fossil fuels to make the electricity. Prove me wrong.

Msjulie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Atlas Blue Metallic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The battery could be halfway or more through its life at that point depending on how it was driven.
Can't speak to Ford for sure but the concern about battery degradation has been proven to be more fear than reality. Even Prius/Toyota hybrid cars seem to do fine into 300-400k range (family member has a Lexus flavored Prius) . Tesla battery duration also looks much better than naysayers feared but more time will tell; as mentioned in a previous thread the EV stuff is still a baby compared to fossil fuel powered cars and to think constant improvements aren't coming is naive to be sure.

You create more pollution just mining the elements out of the earth, and transporting/processing them to make the batteries and when you recharge, you are just, most likely, using fossil fuels to make the electricity. Prove me wrong.
Do any amount of googling you feel comfortable with looking over the environmental impact over the lifetime of the car to see the truth of things

True that initial costs of mining are troublesome but thankfully those are improving. Same with battery recycling and even chemistry to produce longer lasting less harmful batteries.

Time and again it's been shown that looking at limited parts of the equation don't present a full truth. I love when folks point out all the electricity to run EVs means more power plants (maybe) and completely gloss over production of electricity to power oil rigs, refineries etc. And transporting the fuel in big diesel trucks is also not consider because it doesn't fit the narrative. You know what I mean

There are many factors about what impacts what and why but in truth the reduction of burning fossil fuels to power transportation will have a positive net effect.

The lifetime impact of an EV even in worst-case considering coal powered electricity still has been shown to beat gas powered cars and the benefit for is cheaper to operate.

We have the Tesla because it's fast, quiet, much less to operate than a car in a similar price range and doesn't make the garage smell bad.

The Maverick, if Ford could build them and they didn't get recalled so much, seems like a reasonable compromise for a utility vehicle with low resource use and that's a plus too.

A reliable Maverick EV would work great for our use, not everyone's for sure. No need to introduce FUD into the discussions I'd suggest.

Billkowski

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2021 Jeep Wrangler JL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No FUD
Can't speak to Ford for sure but the concern about battery degradation has been proven to be more fear than reality. Even Prius/Toyota hybrid cars seem to do fine into 300-400k range (family member has a Lexus flavored Prius) . Tesla battery duration also looks much better than naysayers feared but more time will tell; as mentioned in a previous thread the EV stuff is still a baby compared to fossil fuel powered cars and to think constant improvements aren't coming is naive to be sure.

Do any amount of googling you feel comfortable with looking over the environmental impact over the lifetime of the car to see the truth of things

True that initial costs of mining are troublesome but thankfully those are improving. Same with battery recycling and even chemistry to produce longer lasting less harmful batteries.

Time and again it's been shown that looking at limited parts of the equation don't present a full truth. I love when folks point out all the electricity to run EVs means more power plants (maybe) and completely gloss over production of electricity to power oil rigs, refineries etc. And transporting the fuel in big diesel trucks is also not consider because it doesn't fit the narrative. You know what I mean

There are many factors about what impacts what and why but in truth the reduction of burning fossil fuels to power transportation will have a positive net effect.

The lifetime impact of an EV even in worst-case considering coal powered electricity still has been shown to beat gas powered cars and the benefit for is cheaper to operate.

We have the Tesla because it's fast, quiet, much less to operate than a car in a similar price range and doesn't make the garage smell bad.

The Maverick, if Ford could build them and they didn't get recalled so much, seems like a reasonable compromise for a utility vehicle with low resource use and that's a plus too.

A reliable Maverick EV would work great for our use, not everyone's for sure. No need to introduce FUD into the discussions I'd suggest.
No FUD intended(had to look that up). I'm ok with electric happening, I was just curious from a resale standpoint if there is any lack of enthusiasm to buy a used one. My real battery knowledge is limited to my phone, after about 4 years they all seem be at half of their capacity from a charge standpoint, sounds like that might be an apple to oranges comparison when scaled up to EV battery.

Sponsored

Msjulie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No FUD intended(had to look that up). I'm ok with electric happening, I was just curious from a resale standpoint if there is any lack of enthusiasm to buy a used one. My real battery knowledge is limited to my phone, after about 4 years they all seem be at half of their capacity from a charge standpoint, sound like that might be an apple to oranges comparison.
RE FUD - didn't intend to suggest insult and the other quote was more 'FUDy' than yours for sure

New tech is a very reasonable concern for sure; it is true our little device batteries are less and less like our EV batteries.

In the beginning the Tesla Roadster was powered with something like 3k little AA sized batteries that were used often in laptops and such. Chemistry changing fast so much so yeah the fruits are diverging.

I think the resale question probably comes down to the perception of quality. I really like much about the little Maverick - it would be hard to be a more perfect fit for our use design and feature wise but I can't hide the fact I'm nervous about the quality issues

Not a fan per-see of most Toyotas by design but the Maverick would be replacing a boring, slightly under powered, extended cab Toyota Tacoma.

It's too small inside and 'old' at being a 2013 but I have to admit it just plain always works and that perception (truth) of reliability makes our resale potential for that thing surprisingly healthy.

Will I regret the Maverick when it doesn't start cause some cable not secured or worse, if it burns itself up?

I think these kinds of thoughts over most other is what impacts resale TBH

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided

So you think the countries that mine and or own these materials (Lithium, etc.) give 1 rats a$$ as to how it is removed from the earth and the damage that is done? One of the worst offenders on the planet is the main country responsible for doing this. They Do Not care about emissions regulations that other industrialized nations are committed to adhere to and they certainly aren't using the most environmentally friendly machinery, by a long shot.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you think the countries that mine and or own these materials (Lithium, etc.) give 1 rats a$$ as to how it is removed from the earth and the damage that is done? One of the worst offenders on the planet is the main country responsible for doing this. They Do Not care about emissions regulations that other industrialized nations are committed to adhere to and they certainly aren't using the most environmentally friendly machinery, by a long shot.
Slave child labor is forgiven if you feed the narrative about how EV's will save the planet

Msjulie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Name me one oil company that give's a real rat's butt about the continuing damage done to the environment in the quest for more oil; off-shore drilling rigs polluting entire gulfs, fracking destroying ground water, etc. The list goes on.

Honestly I think most humans don't give near enough concern to the future side effects of actions taken today, instead it's profit and/or near-term expense and convenience in day to day that is the focus.

What-about-isms don't solve any problems so sorry I had to point out that truth about fossil fuel "mining" stuff

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Name me one oil company that give's a real rat's butt about the continuing damage done to the environment in the quest for more oil; off-shore drilling rigs polluting entire gulfs, fracking destroying ground water, etc. The list goes on.

Honestly I think most humans don't give near enough concern to the future side effects of actions taken today, instead it's profit and/or near-term expense and convenience in day to day that is the focus.

What-about-isms don't solve any problems so sorry I had to point out that truth about fossil fuel "mining" stuff
Have you ever heard of Nuclear or Hydrogen....where is the funding for research and expanding that? Also care to enumerate all that damage in the centuries that drilling for fossil fuel has been explored has caused that permanently has damaged the planet? Last I heard the gulf has fully recovered from the spill as sometimes the earth has learned to heal itself whether or not we screw up...

Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd switch to EV Maverick if it cost less than ICE Maverick.

Msjulie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you ever heard of Nuclear or Hydrogen....where is the funding for research and expanding that? Also care to enumerate all that damage in the centuries that drilling for fossil fuel has been explored has caused that permanently has damaged the planet? Last I heard the gulf has fully recovered from the spill as sometimes the earth has learned to heal itself whether or not we screw up...
Ah some more 'useful' what-about-isms?

Thread off rails... getting off this train thanks

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Oil industry is highly regulated, in some countries.
Can the same be said for lithium mining?

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm getting the Lariat hybrid. I'd drop it like a hot rock for a Maverick Lariat EV.

Update... Living with a Maverick Hybrid for last 4 months... Completely charmed and smitten by the Maverick hybrid. At this point I would go with a PHEV vs an EV. If Ford offers a PHEV in the future, with a minimum of 50 miles on battery, we will be a two Maverick family.

Update: Ordered a 2023 Cyber Orange Hybrid Lariat Lux Maverick, 9/20/22. So hopefully at some point in 2023 we will be a two Maverick family. If in 2024 Ford does a PHEV Maverick we will order one and sell/trade in the 2022 Maverick.
Full EV version? No thanks. A PHEV heck yes. . . . .

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Engine
Undecided
As someone who drove an interim EV plug in vehicle while waiting for my Mav to come in, heck no.

The area I live and when I was driving all over New England for work, finding EV charging stations was a pain in the ass so I relied on the gas engine for most of my driving. I didn’t even bother plugging it in the last few months before selling it. The charging station network just isn’t enough to normalize EVs for everyone 😒
This is valid. The idea of an EV sounds great but it can certainly be challenging if there isn't enough infrastructure to support it.
Sponsored