Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Valkyrja

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Hybrid, 22 Gold Wing, 21 Mach-e GTPE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a Mach-e GTPE. I have gone on a lot of trips with it and love the car. The Mav EV would have to be flat-towable and I would trade my current Mav without hesitation.
Sponsored

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nope. The market for EV is dying. To many issues and inconveniences. In my opinion, PHEV is the practical future.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. The market for EV is dying. To many issues and inconveniences. In my opinion, PHEV is the practical future.
That they added the EV F-150 to the list of vehicles eligible for X-Plan is a clue. When you see financing at 0% for a vehicle, that will be clue #2 that sales are not as anticipated.

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have installed chargers for EV but no EV bought yet. Both cars were GM products and cancelled orders after their stalling and poor rollouts. I don't see an infrastructure being deployed in the Northeast to support full EV vehicles yet and I have been waiting and watching for two years. Too risky with an EV on a long trip....just look at what happened this week in Chicago with EVs piled up at chargers since their batteries are too cold to charge. Range and charging anxieties are still real for full EVs...you need a backup ICE car.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the EV market is dying? Maybe that is just your wish, but the EV industry is changing..with new batteries and production of them coming out soon. You think Ford with their millions of $ investment is giving up because of a slight down turn in sales? Part of that is people waiting to see what the Tax breaks will be/are in 2024. EV's are not dying...try to get informed, read more.

Sponsored

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it’s affordable. $32k to start with $7500 rebate then sign me up. Also agree that you need an ice backup. Mav ev would be strictly commuter/errand vehicle and only need home charger. Also agree that phev is more practical if you only have one vehicle.

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope....while they sound interesting I think Biden is full of crap. The USA is not anywhere near ready for everyone to have an EV vehicle. The power grid couldn't handle the demand. In addition, I'd have to upgrade the electric service coming into my house in order to put a charging station as well as the electric panel. God only knows how much that would cost at today's crazy prices, just to charge it. Plus like others have posted the range EV's are getting are nowhere near adequate for travel. They may be great for local commutes to work and to go to the store, but traveling on vacation or sightseeing, NOPE. In my opinion they won't be ready until they have a range of 500 miles or more.
And charge in 5 minutes with no battery degredation.

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

the EV market is dying? Maybe that is just your wish, but the EV industry is changing..with new batteries and production of them coming out soon. You think Ford with their millions of $ investment is giving up because of a slight down turn in sales? Part of that is people waiting to see what the Tax breaks will be/are in 2024. EV's are not dying...try to get informed, read more.
Have you checked out what the grid can supply? I think your dreaming, but to each his own. My money goes to PHEV. Sorry you feel you need to attack my analysis without any knowledge of who I am or what I have researched. Enjoy your EV

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you checked out what the grid can supply? I think your dreaming, but to each his own. My money goes to PHEV. Sorry you feel you need to attack my analysis without any knowledge of who I am or what I have researched. Enjoy your EV
What the grid can supply? How is that pertinent? Is it ready to collapse? Are there no Gov funds to rebuild it ( there are, read the Build Back Better plan) Attack you analysis..not attacking, but disputing...I suggest that you not take everything so personally...it is not healthy.

Sponsored

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You should read more

Bear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus & Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An all electric Maverick would have to be priced under 40K before I would think about it and I would still keep my hybrid. If they sell a PHEV with a range of 50 miles during the winter and have a decent size gas tank I would. I use to own a Honda Clarity PHEV and it only had a 7 gallon gas tank. It was OK and I had a range of about 350 miles....a bigger gas tank would have been better. And I would sell my hybrid for a PHEV.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "grid can't handle it" argument is an anti-BEV urban myth often thrown out by the coal rolling crowd - bless their hearts. Autoline After Hours reported on conference interactions with the heads of the regional grids, and the guys running the grids laughed at the idea that they couldn't meet increased demand. The US grid has reliably grown about 10% per year for a hundred years. They said they'd have no issues growing to meet the slowly increasing demands posed by the expected adoption rate of BEVs. We're not going to turn a switch tomorrow morning and suddenly have 100 million BEVs on American roads.

Now if you want to talk grid, you should talk about regional interconnect and transmission issues, which has nothing to do with BEVs, and everything to do with government getting in the way. There are wind and solar projects galore sitting on the shelf because we can't get the power from the point of generation to where it's needed. Red tape is keeping cheap clean energy (cheaper than coal in 2023) from reaching urban areas.

There are lots of reasons why some/many of us shouldn't buy BEVs in 2024. The grid isn't one of them.

Last edited:

RobN

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When we get on these long BEV wars, I keep thinking of the old 60s song lyrics...

It's your thing, do what you wanna do.
I can't tell you, who to sock it to.
One side of this discussion has people trying to force us all to do what THEY want us to do. There aren't any states trying to ban EVs, but there are states trying to ban ICE cars.

I don't have any problem with people choosing EVs - I just think that adoption is slowing until the technology improves significantly. That may happen soon, or not for decades.

For everyone convinced otherwise, look at the stats - hybrids currently outsell EVs AND sales are growing faster (by units, not price). With today's tech, they're awesome choices for many of us.

I just want the choice to be mine, not the government's.

imboden013

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The "grid can't handle it" argument is an anti-BEV urban myth often thrown out by the coal rolling crowd - bless their hearts. Autoline After Hours reported on conference interactions with the heads of the regional grids, and the guys running the grids laughed at the idea that they couldn't meet increased demand. The US grid has reliably grown about 10% per year for a hundred years. They said they'd have no issues growing to meet the slowly increasing demands posed by the expected adoption rate of BEVs. We're not going to turn a switch tomorrow morning and suddenly have 100 million BEVs on American roads.

Now if you want to talk grid, you should talk about regional interconnect and transmission issues, which has nothing to do with BEVs, and everything to do with government getting in the way. There are wind and solar projects galore sitting on the shelf because we can't get the power from the point of generation to where it's needed. Red tape is keeping cheap clean energy (cheaper than coal in 2023) from reaching urban areas.

There are lots of reasons why some/many of us shouldn't buy BEVs in 2024. The grid isn't one of them.
You sure about the power grid? TVA has been asking users to cut back on use, because of cold weather usage. Seems to me that if we all switched to EVs there would be problems.
Sponsored