Sponsored

If they made a full EV Maverick, would you buy, switch? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Bigsam411

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where do you get data of an hour at most for road trips? It takes an hour to take most batteries to 75% which of you're lucky gets 225 miles range.

Plenty of road trips need more than 500 miles... Meaning multiple stops and more than an hour added. And that's assuming your destination has chargers available close by, or it could get even more dicey (see remote camping trip).
So the actual amount of time will vary. A blanket 1 hour is not what I should have said. Different EVs have different charge speeds and battery sizes. Also road trip distances will vary. Lastly there is no getting around charging infrastructure not being there in many parts of the country. Most of those things will improve over time of course.

The big things people ignore or don't realize though are:

1. EVs can actually go up to 80 or so % pretty quickly and if you plan your trip around shortest stops then you may stop more frequently but overall will have spent less time over all stopping. Yes you can charge 0-100% at every charger but the first 10 or so % and the last 20 or so % will all take way longer than the middle 70%.

2. For longer trips where you need to spend the night somewhere you can make that one of your stops and if planned properly you would get there with low charge and level 2 charge overnight to 100%.

It is totally feasible for on some trips to have similar time stopped when you factor in refueling, and actual rest (food, restroom, etc...). It just will depend on the vehicle. A GMC Hummer EV will take way longer to recharge due to its massive battery required to give that thing 300 miles range. A smaller car like a Hyundai Ioniq 5 will charge way fast for similar range.

If Ford could make a Maverick with 300 miles of range and DC Fast charging it will most certainly meet most use cases just fine. For anyone who tows long distance (Most don't as I understand) I would stay away from an EV at this time as range is cut in half.
Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Affordability is major attraction of Maverick. EV too expensive. Would not buy.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought about dropping my Maverick order before it arrived and ordering a F-150 lightning. But I'm just not ready for a full electric I like having the peace of mind of a gas tank of a hybrid. If the hybrid had AWD and could tow at least 3,000 lb, I would have got a hybrid.

mckinleyj43

First Name
Jason McKinley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Buick regal GS
Nope....while they sound interesting I think Biden is full of crap. The USA is not anywhere near ready for everyone to have an EV vehicle. The power grid couldn't handle the demand. In addition, I'd have to upgrade the electric service coming into my house in order to put a charging station as well as the electric panel. God only knows how much that would cost at today's crazy prices, just to charge it. Plus like others have posted the range EV's are getting are nowhere near adequate for travel. They may be great for local commutes to work and to go to the store, but traveling on vacation or sightseeing, NOPE. In my opinion they won't be ready until they have a range of 500 miles or more.
Totally agree, been saying this for years!!! Plus you'd have to keep the EV for a minimum of 10 years or so to make it worth it....gas savings VS price of EVs....NOT SEEING IT...I mean look at the extended range f150 or the rivian truck.....

HistoryGuy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have an electric car for shorter trips around town. Love it. Maintenance and operating costs are minimal. Regarding a Maverick. I would prefer a plug in hybrid which I would use for longer trips.

Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd love an AWD plug-in Hybrid Maverick and would grab one. ...but I wouldn't even go look at an EV Maverick.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
We have an electric car for shorter trips around town. Love it. Maintenance and operating costs are minimal. Regarding a Maverick. I would prefer a plug in hybrid which I would use for longer trips.
That sounds like a solid plan! Glad you're enjoying your Ford experience.

mtd14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brown outs in California and planned reduction of when you can use electricity.
Brown outs and planned reduction have been the usual in California since before EVs were relevant. Don't blame EVs for the shitshow that is PG&E.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would if I had a big solar array at my home, and also a big generator so I could charge it up at home even when the power is out.
Things change. In 40 years, what our grand kids are driving will be way different than what we have.

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I travel daily to the hinterlands hundreds of miles and most of my trips I don't get within 30 miles of a charger. quite a few days I get 350-400 miles, Until they come up with one that gets close to 500 miles in the winter and a 15 minute charge I would have zero use for one. I am very happy with what I have.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Brown outs and planned reduction have been the usual in California since before EVs were relevant. Don't blame EVs for the shitshow that is PG&E.
Not blaming ev's. The blame would go to the government. Putting unqualified people in charge, making unsustainable rules and regulations, failure to support infrastructure, commerce and industry.

Onceforall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good to see you watching this thread, Ford.

No way. EV's are a waste of cash and there has to be somewhere to power them and with California and Europe finding out going green has destroyed folks ability to get solid energy. Brown outs in California and planned reduction of when you can use electricity. In Europe I read one police force was shutdown because they couldn't power their total electric vehicles. Seems like EVs are putting the cart ahead of the horse. Saw a cost evaluation on owning an EV compared to a Hybrid and a Gas vehicle and in 6 years the most cost efficient was the hybrid. I'm sticking with a hybrid.
While cost experience varies quite a bit, I can say for sure that my 2013 Nissan LEAF has been tons cheaper than an ICE. But not just in dollar terms, it has been much cheaper in time utilization. After 115,000 miles, we have saved tremendous time in the fueling/maintenance categories.

10 years in, the maintenance has been 2 sets of tires, 2 battery key fob replacements, 2 sets of wipers, 2 cabin air filters, and one 12v battery replacement. No brakes, no fluid changes, no check engine lights.

But we have solar and are 100% home charged. At the end of the day, pay very little for energy.

I would definitely get a Maverick EV. Would get a Lightening also. It's the killer wait on getting new cars right now, and the crazy ADM's, that are pushing out these changes.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Surprising how many people here get hung up on charging station availability.

When the Model T came out over 120 years ago the only way to buy gasoline was in 1 gallon cans at a hardware store. Using some of the arguments presented in this thread, ICE automobiles would have never been successful because fueling them was so hard, especially compared to using horses which could eat grass available on just about any rural roadside.

Just as in the Model T case, the fueling (charging) infrastructure will naturally grow in locations where it’s needed as EVs become popular.

Sure, there are plenty of current uses cases where EVs don’t work well today, in which case stick with an ICE vehicle. But to say EVs will never work and crap on others with use cases where it does work only reveals a Luddite butthead attitude, which simply makes you irrelevant.

fourtotwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably not. As EVs stand now, they are put around town vehicles. Aerodynamics are super important as well, so throwing anything in the bed or using the tow hitch would murder your mileage in ways that I would not appreciate.
Sponsored