BlueXLT

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'd got PHEV or full BEV, but only if the cost made sense. We don't know the future cost of gas or electricity, but if they come out with a PHEV that doesn't pay for the cost increase with fuel cost savings, then there isn't much point. Add to that the extra weight needed, the storage/interior space that will be needed for batteries, the increased complexity and failure modes that are added and the cost really needs to be right.
Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd got PHEV or full BEV, but only if the cost made sense. We don't know the future cost of gas or electricity, but if they come out with a PHEV that doesn't pay for the cost increase with fuel cost savings, then there isn't much point. Add to that the extra weight needed, the storage/interior space that will be needed for batteries, the increased complexity and failure modes that are added and the cost really needs to be right.
The cost of Gas will always go up, it will NEVER go down, the same with electricity, however, in a PHEV, if your commute is within the range of pure EV, then it would make sense.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They could also go Toyota's route with the Rav
Rav4 Prime - AWD + 300 hp + $ vs hybrid
People line up to buy b/c MOAR POWER outweighs more money lol

The lighter/smaller unibody platform of the Mav makes more sense for a PHEV vs a Ranger or F150. Escape already has one (FWD only, though).
Keep it under $45k for a Lariat version and it'll sell too well. Toyota can't produce enough Rav4 Primes and they no longer get EV tax credits. Ford's would.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They could also go Toyota's route with the Rav
Rav4 Prime - AWD + 300 hp + $ vs hybrid
People line up to buy b/c MOAR POWER outweighs more money lol

The lighter/smaller unibody platform of the Mav makes more sense for a PHEV vs a Ranger or F150. Escape already has one (FWD only, though).
Keep it under $45k for a Lariat version and it'll sell too well. Toyota can't produce enough Rav4 Primes and they no longer get EV tax credits. Ford's would.
BASe price of a PHEV is just shy of 40K

TacoTanium

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I also want a PHEV Maverick.

1st gen Maverick's are probably experimental to get ready for PHEV & EV.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, I also want a PHEV Maverick.

1st gen Maverick's are probably experimental to get ready for PHEV & EV.
I had figured that MY24 we would see a PHEV, well that didn't happen. The more I look at the Ford Lineup, the only PHEV they have is the ESCAPE, and Ford doesn't produce many of them, I'm thinking that Ford will just go straight to an EV Maverick.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone wants a PHEV Maverick until they have to pay for them without tax incentives. They are more costly to run when you get outside of your electric range because they are heavier. Better be able to plug them in daily or as much as needed for your short runs throughout the week.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, I used to think I really wanted a PHEV. However, the more I have learned the more caveats there are to my desire. A PHEV is OK if, when in gas mode it gets as good or very close to same MPG as it's hybrid counterpart, too large of a battery and this will not happen. I want to be able to go on a trip and not pay a mileage penalty when I do. In the Maverick, I would not want the weight of the battery decreasing my payload or towing ability any lower than it already is. Likewise I do not want the weight of the battery degrading the performance either. So just offering a PHEV for me doesn't cut it. It has to be well thought out and at least meet those criteria without being unreasonably more expensive. New battery tech could go a long way toward addressing my criteria.

Derwood

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derwood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick and Kia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Considering that America is still in a transitional phase to electric cars/charging, I would much rather see a Maverick PHEV.

Zero stress range, all electric for errands, and generator mode like the F150 has.

PHEV is the near future change my mind.
Coming from someone in the electrical industry...the only way a fully electric vehicle makes sense even now let alone 5-10 years from now is if you have several grand to install a home charger and drive it almost always within range of your home. Electric vehicle range is based on the vehicle being empty. Soon as you load it down, use heat or AC your battery range declines. The network of chargers is small compared to gas stations and even IF you plan a trip away from home there's no guarantee that the charger you select to recharge will be available or even in working conditions. Plus, the charging time for even the fastest chargers is still 15 min or more. Home charger is Class 2 which takes a few hours to charge even if you've got say a third of battery charge left. Those fast chargers hit your battery hard which means less battery life. Hope I've covered all the bases here.

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As long as I could charge overnight on 120, and it wasn't a massive premium, I would do it in a heartbeat. But for now, my hybrid XL couldn't be more perfect for my needs. The cost/value of a 23 XL hybrid for 22 MSRP is not something I could do better than.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Everyone wants a PHEV Maverick until they have to pay for them without tax incentives. They are more costly to run when you get outside of your electric range because they are heavier. Better be able to plug them in daily or as much as needed for your short runs throughout the week.
You buy a PHEV, because your commute is within the range, when the elec infrastructure if more robust then it won't be an issue. If the Maverick would have a 40-mile EV range it would be perfect for me. The grocery store has two EV plugs, so I would be able to plug in for 20-30 minutes which would give me more range.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You buy a PHEV, because your commute is within the range, when the elec infrastructure if more robust then it won't be an issue. If the Maverick would have a 40-mile EV range it would be perfect for me. The grocery store has two EV plugs, so I would be able to plug in for 20-30 minutes which would give me more range.
Actually I would buy an EV under the conditions you describe. Why go PHEV at all in that scenario?

Personally I think Ford made a big mistake by not offering a Maverick EV. Why a EV F150? Make little sense at this point.

I think a PHEV Maverick would be another mistake. If you’re going to have an ICE in the truck it just as well be a hybrid.

Donodo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV Escape SEL, Maverick hybrid XLT, DR-650
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FWIW, my wife and I love our 2022 Escape PHEV. Where it makes the most sense is in the west coast states, especially California where the cost of gas is ridiculously expensive.

Now that I have my Maverick hybrid, we’ve been splitting the longer distance (50 miles plus) drives between the Escape and Maverick. But around town or less than 50 mile distance is mostly with the Escape because it’s a PHEV.

JimCT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually I would buy an EV under the conditions you describe. Why go PHEV at all in that scenario?

Personally I think Ford made a big mistake by not offering a Maverick EV. Why a EV F150? Make little sense at this point.

I think a PHEV Maverick would be another mistake. If you’re going to have an ICE in the truck it just as well be a hybrid.
My old car is a PHEV, and my situation fit Eagle11's conditions pretty much perfectly - I could do a normal round trip to work (throw in hitting a grocery store or whatever on the way home) and not need a drop of gasoline on a typical day.

So why not full EV? A few reasons. First, purchase price - at the time I bought my PHEV (purchased used in 2017), the only comparable EVs were either way more money (used Tesla prices) or terribly inferior (e.g., first generation Nissan Leaf). Second, the electric grid in my area isn't the most reliable, so if I had an extended power outage I would quickly run out of juice or have to try and recharge with my portable gas generator anyway. Third, there were limited public chargers in my area at the time (it's gotten better, but still is somewhat lacking). And fourth, I did fairly regularly need to drive a few hundred miles in a day, and being forced to find a public charger (at typical public charger power levels - typically 7 kW or less) and spend the time waiting to charge wasn't a reasonable option to me (might have been ok if I had coughed up Tesla money so I could access their chargers, but even then it wouldn't always work for the routes I needed).

Things have changed a bit since then - I have a lot more charging opportunities around now, and full EV seems a lot more reasonable to me now than it did then, particularly if I'm comparing new vehicle prices instead of used, but I don't regret PHEV and would still very much consider it if it was an option in the Maverick, particularly if it was a good setup like the RAV4 Prime's 300 hp/AWD. Perfect? No, but a good compromise vehicle.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My old car is a PHEV, and my situation fit Eagle11's conditions pretty much perfectly - I could do a normal round trip to work (throw in hitting a grocery store or whatever on the way home) and not need a drop of gasoline on a typical day.

So why not full EV? A few reasons. First, purchase price - at the time I bought my PHEV (purchased used in 2017), the only comparable EVs were either way more money (used Tesla prices) or terribly inferior (e.g., first generation Nissan Leaf). Second, the electric grid in my area isn't the most reliable, so if I had an extended power outage I would quickly run out of juice or have to try and recharge with my portable gas generator anyway. Third, there were limited public chargers in my area at the time (it's gotten better, but still is somewhat lacking). And fourth, I did fairly regularly need to drive a few hundred miles in a day, and being forced to find a public charger (at typical public charger power levels - typically 7 kW or less) and spend the time waiting to charge wasn't a reasonable option to me (might have been ok if I had coughed up Tesla money so I could access their chargers, but even then it wouldn't always work for the routes I needed).

Things have changed a bit since then - I have a lot more charging opportunities around now, and full EV seems a lot more reasonable to me now than it did then, particularly if I'm comparing new vehicle prices instead of used, but I don't regret PHEV and would still very much consider it if it was an option in the Maverick, particularly if it was a good setup like the RAV4 Prime's 300 hp/AWD. Perfect? No, but a good compromise vehicle.
I have two hybrid vehicles one my Maverick and one a Toyota Corolla Cross. I guess what I’m saying is a PHEV of any kind would not replace either of these. They both do 40+ mph and the added premium in price cannot be justified IMO. With a EV you get rid of the ICE all together. We each have a vehicle and if we went EV we would just do one and keep one hybrid for the longer trips. I would definitely be interested in a EV Maverick but not a PHEV.

I don’t mean to say a PHEV is always a wrong choice at all but for many it’s not the best choice. A single car home that can charge as needed at home with an occasional longer trip but mostly driving 40 miles or less a day, makes sense for PHEV.
Sponsored