R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I calculated that if I were to get an EV, that it is closer to $9 a gallon for a comparable vehicle, but that is still more than I am paying for gas.
with current gas prices it costs me $2.02 to pay for gas in my 2022 Prius. Had I purchased the Prius prime, I could get 25 max miles on electric only. The battery for the 2022 is 8.8kwh. If it doesn’t discharge below 20%, then that is 7kwh for a full charge from empty (not counting energy loss when converting AC to DC) . Current power rates for me are $0.36 kWh for the time of use rate. (Assuming I only charge off peak) so it costs me more than $2.52 per 25 miles. This works out to $6.21 per “gallon” of gas IF and only if, my EV gets the “up to” rate for miles per charge. A friend of mine has a Tesla, and he gets about 65% of the up to miles, so that makes my $6.21 per gallon $9.55 per “gallon” realistically.

Sponsored

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those that live in CA are used to it....

And places that cant even allow you to use your AC during the summer will never be able to keep up with EV demand.
Used to what? We have solar and overproduce currently. Plug-in Prius gets $0/mi on electric.
Our heat pumps are super efficient at heating and cooling too (not much needed, as we're near the coast).

This article is click-bait fearmongering with an agenda. Don't consider it "news", but more "opinion". Look at the url "OPINION" is right there!!!

Oh, and FFS LOL "Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF)" - gee lemme guess, I think they might be a bit pro oil and anti solar/ev. Have they ever considered how unprofitable Texas oil and gas companies would be without government subsidies? Kinda doubt they've done that study.

This thread is political BS and should be nuked. (now there's a green energy we can agree on, I hope :D )

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used to what? We have solar and overproduce currently. Plug-in Prius gets $0/mi on electric.
Our heat pumps are super efficient at heating and cooling too (not much needed, as we're near the coast).

This article is click-bait fearmongering with an agenda. Don't consider it "news", but more "opinion". Look at the url "OPINION" is right there!!!

Oh, and FFS LOL "Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF)" - gee lemme guess, I think they might be a bit pro oil and anti solar/ev. Have they ever considered how unprofitable Texas oil and gas companies would be without government subsidies? Kinda doubt they've done that study.

This thread is political BS and should be nuked. (now there's a green energy we can agree on, I hope :D )
I guess you miss where California says stop using your air-conditioning and charging your EV because their grade was too stressed on hot days during the summer pretty simple to understand that the US is definitely not ready with infrastructure for all the Evies that have to be plugged in and probably never will be all their requirements of going completely gassed free by 2035 is nothing more than posturing.

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Misleading story and research. The EV per gallon equivalent is not comparable to what anyone pays at the pump. The study should have done a similar analysis on ICE vehicles that includes infrastructure cost, subsidies and bailouts to get an equivalent comparison. Without a valid comparison, the research is just hyperbole.

Fibrepunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is like peak price for electricity they are comparing it to? Like during the storm Feb. 2021 for Texas where some are on market rate instead of flat rate for electricity?

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Misleading story and research. The EV per gallon equivalent is not comparable to what anyone pays at the pump. The study should have done a similar analysis on ICE vehicles that includes infrastructure cost, subsidies and bailouts to get an equivalent comparison. Without a valid comparison, the research is just hyperbole.
Exactly.

My real world fueling experience in my M3LR (where I paid $0.0185 per/kwh at home) ranged anywhere from $0.04 - $0.20 per mile depending on if I charged at home or I was charging at a Supercharger during peak hours in a busy area on a road trip where the vehicle is less efficient.

What does that mean for MPG? That all depends on how much one pays for per gallon. At $4.00 per gallon my M3LR got a city eMPG of 100 and (in worst case scenario) 20 highway, for an estimated 60 eMPG combined.

That is being conservative as I charged mostly at home and even when using the SC network it was less than the worst case scenario I listed above - probably closer to 30-35 eMPG on the HWY, and an estimated 80-85 eMPG overall.

surfstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess you miss where California says stop using your air-conditioning and charging your EV because their grade was too stressed on hot days during the summer pretty simple to understand that the US is definitely not ready with infrastructure for all the Evies that have to be plugged in and probably never will be all their requirements of going completely gassed free by 2035 is nothing more than posturing.
What about when all the gas stations run out of gas before a hurricane? Is that better?
The complete failure of Texas' grid leading to deaths - that wasn't due to EV/wind/solar.

But feel free to tout how bad CA is and how all the other states are better - we'll send people your way, but then you'll complain. Gotta make up your mind.

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What about when all the gas stations run out of gas before a hurricane? Is that better?
The complete failure of Texas' grid leading to deaths - that wasn't due to EV/wind/solar.

But feel free to tout how bad CA is and how all the other states are better - we'll send people your way, but then you'll complain. Gotta make up your mind.
I totally dumped know how stupid Texans were there that everybody should have a generator and a way to keep their house warm but overall I would definitely not go to California if I could ever avoid it everybody in their house should have a way to heat it that does not rely on the grid

MavTime

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be a Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I guess you miss where California says stop using your air-conditioning and charging your EV because their grade was too stressed on hot days during the summer pretty simple to understand
Bitcoin mining and marijuana grow ops use more power 24/7/365 than any air conditioner. Power companies will always sell you more power, they just don't want to invest in infrastructure they won't use and profit from, so they aren't going to build for peak needs but they will invest more as we start using more. Since the 70's they'd have George Burns ask you to give your appliances the afternoon off, but that's so they can max out profit while minimizing investment on infrastructure. As demand and household load increased they had to up service feeds and infrastructure since then and they made more in the long run. It just isn't instant or ever ahead of demand.

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bitcoin mining and marijuana grow ops use more power 24/7/365 than any air conditioner. Power companies will always sell you more power, they just don't want to invest in infrastructure they won't use and profit from, so they aren't going to build for peak needs but they will invest more as we start using more. Since the 70's they'd have George Burns ask you to give your appliances the afternoon off, but that's so they can max out profit while minimizing investment on infrastructure. As demand and household load increased they had to up service feeds and infrastructure since then and they made more in the long run. It just isn't instant or ever ahead of demand.
Well, that is true also but either way currently we have no way of meeting the demands and based on all the things are talking about EV's we're probably not going to be able to for the next hundred plus years. Also, I have a personal problem with the fact that we have energy companies that offer dividends to stockholders which means they're just also charging way too much to the average consumer but that's another discussion with record high electricity prices right now it's kind of me just trying to save every nickel I can, which is the only reason I bought Maverick.
Sponsored