First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Area 51 AWD turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went ahead and purchased the SC Limited in Phantom black - I really, really like this car-truck-suv!! BUT, I have not yet been inside and driven a Maverick; still my preference at this time- but I could not continue to wait. I still have my Mav on order and may keep both.

Plus side of the SC Limited: Interior is really nice! The tech in this vehicle is very, very nice! This tech issue / matter will be a strong point of my comparison when I get the fully loaded Mav 1st Ed! The ride is as nice if not nicer than my prior Audi Q5 or Mazda CX 5 - both were 2016 models. What the SC really lacks is the interior cup holders and extra storage space - this drives me crazy! And I am the ONLY ONE in the vehicle 99% of the time! OMG I have been sold on something that is NOT EVEN that important to my daily drive!

The shifter is nice to have - according to the many comments in this site - we all have grown to appreciate the tactile feel and placement of a center console shifter. I am here to tell you that is true (alas I have not yet been in the Mav) - BUT! The SC shifter is cumbersome: When in park it is an obstacle to get into the miniscule front storage bin immediately in front. I love using a Tiptronic shifter - when using the Upright shifter one slides it to the left. That maneuver then slightly bumps into my right leg - not a huge matter for concern - but the Mazda shifter never did that! Also this Limited has paddle shifters - I like that feature, but most of my driving 95% does not allow me the speed up and slow down efficiency of utilizing it. I look forward to an open highway drive soon to experience that shifting up for torque limit shifts.

I already customized the SC too... see photos here. The red and blue stripe effect was done to honor First Responders! The SC Lettering in the back has "lightning" effects - to honor my affinity for the TB Lightning - greatest Hockey team / program in the history of NHL!! (Inserted on purpose to elicit opinionated debate!)

02.2022 Red n Blue pin strip+ LIGHTNING Santa Cruz lettering details 3.jpg

02.14.22 Inspiration 4 Pinstripe H SantaCruze.jpg

02.15.22  Driver Door Pinstripe H SantaCruze.jpg

02.15.22 Passenger Driver Door 2 Pinstripe H SantaCruze.jpg

02.15.22 Sideview Pinstripe H SantaCruze.jpg

02.14.22 Passenger Door Pinstripe H SantaCruze.jpg

02.14.22 Rear 2 Pinstripe H SantaCruze.jpg
I have owned a Hyundai, the warrantee is good at 100,000 ,but I have owned Honda (many) and they only have a 3 year warrantee. I never needed the Honda to be warranteed (well over 100,00 miles) but I did use the Hyundai warantee many times. I have owned Fords too, never needed the drive-train repaired, although body rust was a different thing! Hopefully body rust won't be a problem when I finally get my new Maverick! Hyundai vehicle certainly does NOT look like a truck!

Sheila Ness

First Name
Sheila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I need my Mav by June and it is not looking good. The Santa Cruz might be what ends up in my drive. I ordered August 31, 22021 and I am somewhat disgusted by the lack of communication from Ford.

sunlover

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Patty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I need my Mav by June and it is not looking good. The Santa Cruz might be what ends up in my drive. I ordered August 31, 22021 and I am somewhat disgusted by the lack of communication from Ford.
I ordered mine last August also, have you called Ford customer service to check on your Maverick? I am still waiting for info too but would rather wait than drive an import

Sponsored

Gcalderon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I looked at both the Maverick and Santa Cruz. Aside from the 10k difference between XLT and the base Santa Cruz, they are quite different in looks. Like everyone has said, Maverick is much more of a truck than Santa Cruz will ever be. I preferred the Maverick. Even though the baby blue Santa Cruz looks kinda cool. But no way was I gonna pay an extra $10k more for something that doesn't look like a truck .

onthedrums

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 F-150 XLT, '99 F-250 Super Duty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't drive a Hyundai if it was given to me.đź’Ż

Last edited:

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If they had put a hybrid drivetrain in it ...... Whole different conversation
Yes but their hybrid is priced like all other manufacturers. Top Tier, way more expensive. The thing that knocked it out of the park for me was Hybrid as base model, no up charge. No other manufacturer has done this. I bet they will in future models though.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know it's not fair but I can't get past the looks. Too Metrosexual but that's likely Hyundai's target so good for them

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No question the SC is a cool looking ride. The Hyundai has excellent vehicle technology and richer looking interior. However, the Maverick is designed for a much wider buyer market and has the trims that will appeal across that market. The SC looks like it will mainly appeal to those who cannot afford it.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quality control is quality control. Doesn't matter where they're built. The Escape is built in Mexico and that vehicle is as good as any car built in America.

Jlemke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Better styling too, but the value proposition is the Ford. Comparing like trim levels the Santa Cruz is about 6k more along all trims.
I'd definitely argue the styling. Personal preference. Hate the look of the Santa Cruz
Sponsored