First Name
MJRI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Trip 1 was all my mileage up to a bit over 1500 miles.
Trip 2 was all the miles since I got the truck.
Third pic is combined. About 2 weeks ago.
Done a few more miles since. Now my total average is up to 49.5 mpg. Real world driving. 30% highway (60-80); 30% city (10-35); 40% back roads (35-60)

DC43E24E-9A6C-4950-90CA-B59B4BE1BDD0.jpeg

44F0E4CE-5D0F-4987-AEB7-A1A93AC4C837.jpeg

0FCB509E-A818-4B40-9EA1-55619D6FCBF3.jpeg
I took possession of my hybrid June 8 and and happy to report that I love my Maverick. It’s a fun drive and averaging ~45 MPG thus far with 465 total miles driven with 145 miles to empty or a bit over 600 miles per tank.
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'll start this thread with a score of 62 MPG over 6.1 miles with an average speed of 18.3 MPH. (Over 2 consecutive trips)
IMG_20220410_162118.jpg

IMG_20220410_163618.jpg

I got this number by sticking to L gear on Eco mode when driving through a small town. L gear maximizes regenerative braking, and can be helpful for MPGs at low speeds.

Since L gear is simulated, you can use it in small towns and still reach higher speeds like 40, though I'd probably switch to D if I were going 35+.
I like this test. Looking forward to trying it.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No pictures, but we had dinner at the in-laws last night to celebrate father's day. It's 26 miles there, about 5 miles highway and the rest busy (40-50mph speed limit) roads. Don't remember what I got on the way there, but got (computer estimated ) 80.4mpg on the way back. I think 21/26 miles were fully electric and I was going the speed limit (or within 5mph) at all times.

Last edited:

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Thats pretty good E mode %, I can get those 80+mpg trips like you said 20-30m, then pull down 700mpt.

As long as fuel stays high I did good getting the Mav. I over halfed my fuel bill driving the Mav instead of my F150 3.5 ECO.

Sponsored

Allen King Jr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max phev, 2006 Mercury Mariner, 2023 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Foot control is where its at for FE.
Foot control is also important when saving the transmission torque mount, I blew mine out on my plug-in c-max in 40K miles, I only drive in Low, so when one pedal driving, go easy when transitioning from accelerating to deaccelerating.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You got that right, its tough to one peddle it, I could see how it would accelerate some wear on driveline components. Thx. good heads up,

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Come on guys we need more participants in the 700mpt club, you can do it and you have an added incentive, fuel prices..

I am glad to hear that others have seen that first drive of the day can be all in E mode. I also have a mainly down hill drive first thing and can make it a good 1.5m. If i have a good recharge from the day before.

Cruise is ok for long trips, however I can out drive the CC for FE, because its too sensative, plus it cant anticipate when you get close to running out of E mode, i like to back off and run out E mode as long as possible whereas the CC is just going to charge ahead and kick into hybrid mode.

Foot control is where its at for FE.
Cruise control is very easy to beat, anticipation being the major reason. Help it along going downhill; ease off in the subsequent climb.
Biggest thing? No jackrabbit starts.
For the most part, strive to keep it below the 20% power mark. You’ll still be able to cruise at 70-75.
Just went over 4000 miles. 50.3mpg……..over ALL 4000 MILES.
Not Hypermiling. All everyday driving.
Can‘t try for the 700 mile club, as I top off whenever I see a cheap (huh!) gas station.
Important to keep in mind that 100% of the Maverick’s propulsion is provided by gasoline. So this “coasting” thing only delays recharging, which will only take longer, using gasoline.
There was an old trick taught me many decades ago……..
Pretend that there a plush carpet under your gas pedal, with a raw egg in between. Step on the gas with the idea of compressing the rug, without breaking the egg. It will serve you well.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey i havent heard the egg routine in quite some time.

You state that eventually the ICE has to recharge at some time, but if we keep pushing recharge off, further and further down the road, havent we increased our range and lessen out cost per mile?

While driving, l like to play a game...goes like this..how many miles can we go on E mode(electric only)before the ICE finally kicks in? I have gotten over a mile several times and if its steep enough, or hilly just right, i can go 2.5m.

Its a fun game to play.

When we post our tank FE numbers the thing i like to do is divide the electric by the total to get a %. This is were you get your great mpg numbers. On my 700mpt i get over 400m electric. About 57% no fuel using 'free' miles.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey i havent heard the egg routine in quite some time.

You state that eventually the ICE has to recharge at some time, but if we keep pushing recharge off, further and further down the road, havent we increased our range and lessen out cost per mile?

While driving, l like to play a game...goes like this..how many miles can we go on E mode(electric only)before the ICE finally kicks in? I have gotten over a mile several times and if its steep enough, or hilly just right, i can go 2.5m.

Its a fun game to play.

When we post our tank FE numbers the thing i like to do is divide the electric by the total to get a %. This is were you get your great mpg numbers. On my 700mpt i get over 400m electric. About 57% no fuel using 'free' miles.
“Push the charge down the road”……..
Sure……….then charge longer, to make up the difference.
Percent?
Like this…….a few weeks back…….
Ford Maverick Hypermiling Challenge for 2.5L Hybrid BC791980-9342-42D1-A467-C2E24C152A6C

Sponsored

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats not bad 49% E mode to total.

If you push it far enough down the run then you have to fuel up..

Everytime you push it further, it adds up and sometime you will fill up 1 time less then usual.

I guess I have an advantage here in the hill country cause theres plenty of hills to coast/recharge on, this is where I could use a bigger battery to recover the lost energy, several times the charge gets maxed out and I am not done with coasting downhill.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thats not bad 49% E mode to total.

If you push it far enough down the run then you have to fuel up..

Everytime you push it further, it adds up and sometime you will fill up 1 time less then usual.

I guess I have an advantage here in the hill country cause theres plenty of hills to coast/recharge on, this is where I could use a bigger battery to recover the lost energy, several times the charge gets maxed out and I am not done with coasting downhill.
Hills are inefficient. When you get right down to it, there’s no beating gravity. You cannot gain back, going downhill, what you expended climbing that hill. That’s approaching perpetual motion.
Sorry, but the most efficient terrain to traverse is straight and level.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes what you speak is true, but what we are trying to accomplish here is recovering lost energy, none is recovered with regular ICE vehicles, so any captured energy is a plus.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the other hand we cant really pick where we are going to drive and set the terrain to smooth and straight. We have to transverse the hill in front of us to get where we are going, either that or get out and walk.

I believe the idea of a hybrid is to recapture as much as possible the lost energy from braking and hill climbing.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

On the other hand we cant really pick where we are going to drive and set the terrain to smooth and straight. We have to transverse the hill in front of us to get where we are going, either that or get out and walk.

I believe the idea of a hybrid is to recapture as much as possible the lost energy from braking and hill climbing.
Absolutely correct.
So the best we can do, hybrid or otherwise, is to avoid expending any more energy than is necessary to accomplish our journey.
FOOT CONTROL!
Sponsored