Sponsored

HYBRIDS - How are you warming up the oil before a change?

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
HYBRID SPECIFIC QUESTION: I am still a couple thousand miles before I need the first change, but I was wondering today what the quickest way is to get the oil warm. Drive it in tow mode? Maybe just hit the highway for 15 minutes and keep it at 65 or higher?

Anyone know if the service data specifies a procedure? I am sure that many people will be bringing cold Hybrids into the dealer, what are they doing to get the oil up to temp?

These Hybrids like to keep the IC engine shutoff as much as possible, IIRC Tow Mode disables electric driving but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my younger motorcycling days, I'd throw a can of Seafoam into the crankcase and drive 100 miles before an oil change.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where in the universe is it written oil must be "warmed up" for an oil change? I have been working on cars for over 40 years and I've never heard that nonsense before. I prefer not to burn my fingers when removing oil filters or the oil pan bolt.

Drive it around the block if it makes you feel better I guess.

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Where in the universe is it written oil must be "warmed up" for an oil change? I have been working on cars for over 40 years and I've never heard that nonsense before. I prefer not to burn my fingers when removing oil filters or the oil pan bolt.

Same. If I drive it before, I'll wait a few hours to let it cool

Leuf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the oil is warmed up it will drain faster but just pull the plug and go do something else for 20 minutes rather than drive around for 30 minutes wasting gas to save 5 minutes of oil dripping.

Sponsored

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
dude, hybrids use like 0w-20 that's practically the same viscosity as water, you don't need to warm up anything but if it makes you feel better start the car leave it in park and slam the gas pedal or crank the heat to max temp max fan, that'll keep the engine on.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't "warm it up", for viscosity's sake, it is 0W-20, but I do like to have driven the vehicle within a few hours of an oil change. The reasoning (maybe flawed) is to put any particulates into suspension and possibly dissolve any small sludgy deposits.
Not looking to burn any fingers but a moderately warm oil filter isn't a bad thing in my climate.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't "warm it up", for viscosity's sake, it is 0W-20, but I do like to have driven the vehicle within a few hours of an oil change. The reasoning (maybe flawed) is to put any particulates into suspension and possibly dissolve any small sludgy deposits.
Not looking to burn any fingers but a moderately warm oil filter isn't a bad thing in my climate.
sounds reasonable. maybe also to stir up any other contaminants like coolant and fuel in the pan that isn't trapped by the filter.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Modern engine oils are so thin that even cold, they drain easily, even in colder climates.

OP
OP
skyhawk

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This ^^^

Your reasoning is not flawed. Getting the crap into suspension is important. In addition, the oil flows out much faster and with greater force when warm, and carries away with it much more of the junk you don't want staying in your engine, metal bits and such.

But I'm not mad at anyone who wants to change their oil when cold - however I am only considering the opinions of people who get why it is done warm.

Modern engine oils are so thin that even cold, they drain easily, even in colder climates.
It isn't about draining "easily" it is about draining "effectively". There is a difference.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

My Honda bike said to idle it for 5 minutes. If it isn't in the manual I wouldn't worry about it.

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I once changed my oil in a vehicle after driving…NOT worth the burn, I rather drain it while it’s cold and take more time.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you were to pull your oil pan and look for any sort of gunk in the bottom......
I suspect you would be surprised that there is next to nothing in the way of loose particles or other contaminants. Your oil filter takes care of any suspended particles, that is its job.
I prefer to get as much old oil out of the engine as I can before pouring in new oil.
Which is why I like to do a "cold" oil change. Takes hours for oil to return from the top of the engine into the pan completely.
Either way will work just fine. I have, over the years, realized that cold oil changes are simply easier due to dangers of hot oil getting on me and everything else when it splashes!

Thoron99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yeah, cooler is better than hot for the person changing the oil. The place we usually use has a big sign saying to please shut off your car while waiting and not to drive around too much before a change. They don’t like getting burned when changing the oil.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Simple goofy, he read it on the internet.
Sponsored