Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased my Hybrid 12 months ago and it has 9000 'almost trouble free' miles on it. Like many, I've been plagued with the 12 volt issue deep sleep issue for the last 7-8 months which generally manifests itself with no interior lights. The truck has never failed to start or left me stranded. The last straw was Sunday when my wife and adult daughter went to get in the truck at night and asked me why Mavericks don't have interior lights.... LOL

When the deep sleep issues start, checking the pins under the hood generally show about 11.4V and I've recharged the battery (with a high quality charger) many times, but the problem always returns. What's interesting is that my original battery would charge right back up generally within a hour....

I just hated the thought of dealing with the dealership, I know the truck would sit there for a week, probably come back with door dings and scuffs, the dealer would try to blame it on something else, etc., etc... so I decided to swap batteries at my cost, know the swap was done correctly and at least rule a bad battery out of the equation. I was also worried about getting a new, bad Motorcraft battery which would only compound the issue.

So, I spent the $220 on a new Diehard Gold with a manufacture date of last month and installed it. It's specs are exactly the same as the original Motorcraft, has the same exact provision for the vent tube, and was a perfect fit. I put it on the charger for 5 minutes to get it to 100% and swapped it.

Changing the battery on this truck is a little bit of a PITA, trying to hold the cables back, bent over, getting the hold down bracket and bolt in position and bolt started, etc... The only tool needed is a 10mm socket and a long extension (for both the hold down bolt and the cable clamp nuts). WHEN you drop the hold down bolt next to the battery (and you will, LOL) it will slide out of site and you'll need to get something to fish it back out.

When finished, I opened the door and the light came on. LOL. I went through the Battery Sensor Reset procedure with the high beam lights and brake pedal, locked the doors and exited and will let it sit overnight per the manual. I'll take a better close-up pic of the battery tomorrow, but it's shown with my Nicad emergency charger (never used thankfully)

I checked the 12V cable under the hood months ago and never felt any play or movement, however I did not cut back the insulation to check for a cold solder joint on the terminal. If nothing else, this should rule out a battery issue.

More to come

Ford Maverick Hybrid +12V Battery Replacement RCS1KL

Ford Maverick Hybrid +12V Battery Replacement UyYFk3

Sponsored

Last edited:

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Following

I am in the exact situation as you, and being asked why I have no interior lights is starting to get old. Others do not notice, but it annoys me that when I unlock, I don't get to see the sweet LED bulbs I swapped out in the cargo light.

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP, did you get:

DieHard Gold Battery: T4 Group Size, 470 CCA, 585 CA, 70 Minute Reserve Capacity

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Additional picture added

Sponsored

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
^^ Correct, from Advance Auto.....
Thanks. Looks like Autozone has the exact same battery under the Duralast brand name (Mfd by Clarios). Also it looks like same battery is offered under the Interstate brand name.

Have you seen a MFG date on the original OEM battery that you replaced?

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. Looks like Autozone has the exact same battery under the Duralast brand name (Mfd by Clarios). Also it looks like same battery is offered under the Interstate brand name.

Have you seen a MFG date on the original OEM battery that you replaced?

I suspect virtually all T4 batteries will be similar.

I have not been able to locate a manufacture date on my original battery or anything that even resembles a date code. Hopefully someone has some insight on what to look for. Not that it matters, my original battery has as much Spanish language on it as English, and it was manufactured in Spain.....

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please keep us updated. I definitely would be suspicious of that underhood cable joint too.
One thing that leads me to believe my issue is not cable related is that I've checked voltage with a meter a dozen times, each time both at the pins and on the actual battery. If the cable were bad I would expect to see some voltage drop due to the higher resistance, but they are almost virtually the same. But who knows....

Sponsored
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It sounds like it will take a few months to see if this "fix" actually changes things.
Mine has only been taking about a few days or so to go into deep sleep and lose the interior lights. I disabled the messaging from the truck to my phone app months ago thinking the constant comms was partially draining the battery but it made no difference.

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suspect virtually all T4 batteries will be similar.

I have not been able to locate a manufacture date on my original battery or anything that even resembles a date code. Hopefully someone has some insight on what to look for. Not that it matters, my original battery has as much Spanish language on it as English, and it was manufactured in Spain.....

Do you not want RT4 vs T4 (right pos vs left pos?)

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It sounds like it will take a few months to see if this "fix" actually changes things.
That's about right. I charged the stock 12v battery up with a charger/maintainer attached directly to the battery. I didn't notice any low battery issues for about a month and half.

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid