Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see the stock 12V Maverick Battery is the Motorcraft BXT-99RT4-A. What's the best, higher capacity replacement? I don't see any Diehard Platinum T4 batteries listed, the only Diehard T4 is the non-AGM T4 with the same stock 470CCA/585CA specs. Is there a higher capacity Motorcraft (AGM?) replacement that will fit?

thanks
Sponsored

oilman300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see the stock 12V Maverick Battery is the Motorcraft BXT-99RT4-A. What's the best, higher capacity replacement? I don't see any Diehard Platinum T4 batteries listed, the only Diehard T4 is the non-AGM T4 with the same stock 470CCA/585CA specs. Is there a higher capacity Motorcraft (AGM?) replacement that will fit?

thanks
Optima Red Top batteries are a good battery; however, I don't see one that fits the Maverick. They are all too tall by over a half inch.

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, appears there are few replacement batteries for the Hybrid and none with higher capacity. Surprising....

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

thanks
Why do you want a higher capacity battery?

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I experienced the low-voltage 12VDC situation this week and would like to swap the battery out at my expense to rule that out of the equation.

We know with the hybrid there were some problematic batteries, a cable issue, etc.. and I'd rather purchase a battery myself and know whether that was or was not the cause of my issue.

If I'm buying the battery, I'd like the best battery with the highest capacity as the stock specs are pretty weak.....

Last edited:

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are all Mavs AGM? To bad my 50 yo heathkit battery charger will not work with them.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Optima Red Top batteries are a good battery; however, I don't see one that fits the Maverick. They are all too tall by over a half inch.
Also note any replacement battery needs to be vented. There is a vent tube from battery but I am unaware where it terminated. Also note there is a learning procedure that can take up to 8 hours that should be followed so the bms can learn the parameters of the new battery. I personally would have Ford service and replace the battery at least during warranty period. If every thing is operating as it should the Ford battery should be sufficient. A higher capacity battery may last one hour or one day or one week longer but the problem is still there. I believe it is an AGM but have not proven it. Note that agm for lawn mowers and motor bikes and side by sides only come with six months warranties primarily because as I understand it these are applications where people normally let them sit for months without use (not good on them). I had one in a Polaris ranger that I let sit too long. When I put it on a high $ recovery charger it was five weeks before it declared it charged. Knock on wood I have 9k miles on my 8 month in my possession 9.5 month since built hybrid first edition and have not experienced any 12v problems yet. As of yet I have not learned from Ford their recommended maintenance charge procedure (do not want to mess with bms by introducing external charging so need to know bms operation in detail). My number one rule if anything appears out of normal electrical is to replace 12v battery with fully charged one before even checking anything else. Then check other things immediately.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I experienced the low-voltage 12VDC situation this week and would like to swap the battery out at my expense to rule that out of the equation.

We know with the hybrid there were some problematic batteries, a cable issue, etc.. and I'd rather purchase a battery myself and know whether that was or was not the cause of my issue.

If I'm buying the battery, I'd like the best battery with the highest capacity as the stock specs are pretty weak.....

Judging by posts here, there are no serious problems with the 12 volt battery. The problem is pretty much isolated to a bad cable connection under the hood, per forum sleuthing and Ford's TSB.

Also, the 12 volt battery is plenty powerful for what it needs to do. Remember that it will never spin over a starter, that's done by the high voltage battery pack via the electric motors in the eCVT (I think, need to watch a teardown, but I know it's similar to a Pruis), and so all the 12 volt battery does is power up the electronics and accessory power, and provide power to engage the high voltage battery contactors.

The hybrid's 12V battery also has a much easier life because of its location inside the passenger compartment, where it is protected from high under hood temperatures.

Last edited:

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are all Mavs AGM? To bad my 50 yo heathkit battery charger will not work with them.
Does not appear that way.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Judging by posts here, there are no serious problems with the 12 volt battery. The problem is pretty much isolated to a bad cable connection under the hood, per forum sleuthing and Ford's TSB.
Not necessarily. My Maverick charges fine at 15V at the battery, but the resting voltage is fairly low dropping down to near a flat 12V. Hybrid Escapes also run into low 12V 'Remote Disabled/Deep Sleep' and they don't have the cable issue. Many of them switch to a larger battery, but they have more room to work with.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not necessarily. My Maverick charges fine at 15V at the battery, but the resting voltage is fairly low dropping down to near a flat 12V. Hybrid Escapes also run into low 12V 'Remote Disabled/Deep Sleep' and they don't have the cable issue. Many of them switch to a larger battery, but they have more room to work with.
My Escape Hybrid will be getting a larger battery when the factory one dies, or as soon as it starts giving me serious issues. They went cheap on the factory batteries, that creates its own problems.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where was that "near a flat 12V" measured, and what exactly was the measured resting voltage?

Also, this isn't a hybrid escape, and the system is somewhat different in various ways. For example, the electric motor is custom so far to just the Maverick, and is lighter than the previous generations.

I wish I could say more, but sadly, thorough technical documentation on the overall Maverick hybrid system just isn't available yet. For example, we don't yet know what the maximum continuous rating for the DC to DC inverter is.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where was that "near a flat 12V" measured, and what exactly was the measured resting voltage?
12-12.2V at the battery. And even when charging the battery externally it would drop off to below 12.3V in a matter of 15 minutes or less. Strangely, the CCA is still tests as more than adequate.

Also, this isn't a hybrid escape, and the system is somewhat different in various ways. For example, the electric motor is custom so far to just the Maverick, and is lighter than the previous generations.
The electric motor is irrelevant to charging. That is handled by the DC-DC converter.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
12-12.2V at the battery. And even when charging the battery externally it would drop off to below 12.3V in a matter of 15 minutes or less. Strangely, the CCA is still tests as more than adequate.
You may have a defective battery, and if so, the warranty will cover it if it fails tests. But that doesn't change the fact that a larger capacity battery would only mask any possible drain problems, as other posters have already pointed out. Have you also performed tests to check for excessive parasitic drain loads?

CCA is less relevant to a system that doesn't need to spin up a starter. The 12V battery only handles relatively low drain systems. Sadly, we don't have the technical documentation necessary to confirm it, but as far as I know, the 12V battery can't ever directly power the start of the ICE.

The electric motor is irrelevant to charging. That is handled by the DC-DC converter.
"For example", since you tried to compare it to another Ford hybrid system.

I also did explain in the next paragraph that you did not quote, even directly referencing the DC to DC inverter as another example of not yet having thorough technical documentation on the Maverick hybrid system.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP here, my experience was similar to Darnonā€™s this week. Iā€™m not trying to mask another issue with a larger battery, Iā€™d rather just purchase and try another battery first to see if that fixes the low voltage issue, and since Iā€™m buying the battery, Iā€™d like to get the best battery with the highest capacity battery. Weā€™ve seen several threads here with bad OEM batteries on both hybrid and EB trucks, and I want to insure I donā€™t purchase a new ā€˜badā€™ battery.

My truck is 8 months old with 6k miles, really no change in driving habits, but I noticed this week no interior light when I open the door to get in, and I received (3) deep sleep messages on the app. Voltage at the pins was 11.8 and it returned to normal after an overnight charge.

The only thing unusual I did this week was to run both the seat heaters and steering wheel heater for 10-15 minutes each. Not sure itā€™s related, but this week was the first time Iā€™ve used them for a relatively short period.

Worst case I buy a battery and the symptom does not change, at least I will know it was not the OEM battery and then I have another small spare battery to use on the property somewhere...

Sponsored

Last edited: