First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you charge the 12v battery over night?

No I didn't. But I drive it 52 miles everyday. I would think it should be charged after that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No I didn't. But I drive it 52 miles everyday. I would think it should be charged after that.
But it obviously is not charged. Your voltage is likely around 12.0 or below. I would suggest fully charging it over night, perform the BMS reset, and then see if the issue returns.

Good luck

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But it obviously is not charged. Your voltage is likely around 12.0 or below. I would suggest fully charging it over night, perform the BMS reset, and then see if the issue returns.

Good luck

When charging the battery, do you need to remove the connectors off the posts like a regular car or do you use the posts under the hood? Also, what exactly are the BMS reset steps?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The BMS reset procedure is at the bottom of page 311 of the manual and takes 10 seconds.

1) Switch ignition on, leave engine off

Complete Steps 2 and 3 within 10 seconds

2) flash high beams 5x ending with them off
3) press and release brake pedal 3x

In a few seconds the battery warning lamp will flash 3x confirming success.....

You can charge at the "+" pin under the hood (under the red cap) and the "-" pin under the hood on the driver's fender side.... The pins are shown on the right side of page 282.

Good luck...

Last edited:

Jazzjms

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My hybrid is doing the same thing. It starts and runs fine, but it goes into deep sleep within a few minutes of turning the truck off. I also miss having the remote features and interior light when opening the door. My dealership doesn't know how to fix it which makes it even more frustrating. I love the truck but I waited such a long time to get it for this to happen.
My dealership “reset” my electrical system three days ago and told me to delete the Ford pass app from my phone, wait awhile & then reinstall it. They thought maybe the app was causing the issue. I waited an hour. Everything was fine for two days and then deep sleep again. Today, the dealership got low voltage error codes. They are sending what they found to Ford as they are stumped. I have a appointment next week at the dealership as the will have heard back from Ford by then. I’m crossing my fingers.

Sponsored

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealership “reset” my electrical system three days ago and told me to delete the Ford pass app from my phone, wait awhile & then reinstall it. They thought maybe the app was causing the issue. I waited an hour. Everything was fine for two days and then deep sleep again. Today, the dealership got low voltage error codes. They are sending what they found to Ford as they are stumped. I have a appointment next week at the dealership as the will have heard back from Ford by then. I’m crossing my fingers.
My dealership is doing the same thing🤞

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The BMS reset procedure is at the bottom of page 311 of the manual and takes 10 seconds.

1) Switch ignition on, leave engine off

Complete Steps 2 and 3 within 10 seconds

2) flash high beams 5x ending with them off
3) press and release brake pedal 3x

In a few seconds the battery warning lamp will flash 3x confirming success.....

You can charge at the "+" pin under the hood (under the red cap) and the "-" pin under the hood on the driver's fender side.... The pins are shown on the right side of page 282.

Good luck...

Thanks I’ll try that

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Judging by posts here, there are no serious problems with the 12 volt battery. The problem is pretty much isolated to a bad cable connection under the hood, per forum sleuthing and Ford's TSB.

Also, the 12 volt battery is plenty powerful for what it needs to do. Remember that it will never spin over a starter, that's done by the high voltage battery pack via the electric motors in the eCVT (I think, need to watch a teardown, but I know it's similar to a Pruis), and so all the 12 volt battery does is power up the electronics and accessory power, and provide power to engage the high voltage battery contactors.

The hybrid's 12V battery also has a much easier life because of its location inside the passenger compartment, where it is protected from high under hood temperatures.
I was gradually getting more deep sleep modes and it was was a bad battery (fingers crossed). Been a month, no deep sleep messages.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being as yours is a Lariat Lux your dealership could check into SSM 51449.

Jazzjms

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Being as yours is a Lariat Lux your dealership could check into SSM 51449.
Thank you for the info - I’ll pass it along to my dealer as they don’t know what the issue is.

Sponsored

TOPGUN-MAV33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, C8 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just went to my local Ford Dealer I have Maverick XLT yesterday to have SSM 51449 for the Inaccurate or Erroneous Deep Sleep Notifications in Ford Pass App. They made Software update to the TCU telemetry control unit to correct the Erroneous Deep Sleep Message. I confirmed this a couple of days before I went to the dealer through Ford Pass Chat having them connecting through to my vehicle switching the modem in truck off and back on they verified the SSM 51449 message the truck went into the deep sleep mode again after turning modem back on again. The dealer confirmed there were no fault codes and battery tested OK. So I'll see if anything comes up relative to the Deep Sleep Mode which s/b based on three conditions 9.5 VDC, Hot and Cold, and after 2 weeks. looks like this can happen on the XL, XLT, and Lariat. So have this checked first vs thinking the battery is bad. It would be nice if they had OTA over the air updates but I don't think the ford maverick system is setup for it. My C8 corvette uses OTA's had five for the car no problems saves a trip to dealer and time. Again it depends on how big the S/W update is also or complexity.

Last edited:

TOPGUN-MAV33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid, C8 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had the update on TCM done and about one or two days later I got the message again SSM 51449 and 51228 for connectivity problem which the Ford Pass people identified again is for remote start, lock and unlock. So the next day when I went out to start the vehicle it was dead and wouldn't start was dead so it looks like something hung up electrically and ran the battery down this is the second time I suspect it could be something with locking it or unlocking. What ever the electrical component is staying energized is killing the battery. Maybe related to the modem causing it I know people have turned it off which then may not be problem then for deep sleep mode. Have requested another appointment with the dealer I think they should do away with the sleep mode it's not reliable. Luckily I have NOCO Booster I keep in the truck as soon as I connected that everything came back up and was able to start the Maverick May turn off the modem until dealer decides what to do.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
52 miles might maybe be insufficient if battery is below or has been below 11 or even 11.3 volts. Check your 12v battery two hours after your 52 miles each way trip and if battery was totally charged by trip it should be close to or at 12.6v. the bms may not be able to completely charge the battery if battery gets too warm and last 10-15% needs to be slowed down until battery cools some. That's why an overnight charge would be better but needs to be done with a good smart charger. My battery shows usually 12.9 volts when I first turn truck off. A battery is not all that much and it may (shouldn't need to, but) buy a replacement and fully charge it before installing. Then take original battery and fully charge it following that with a recovery mode cycle. I will then leave it on maintenance mode and swap it out with the replacement if and when battery trouble occurs. May switch batteries annually even if no sleep mode occurs.

rivermaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Ford Fusion (UK), MEV Sonic7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember when looking at the different batteries that in the hybrid the battery with the largest reserve capacity is the best choice and the cold cranking amps (since the 12v does not start the ice) is not as important. It is important to get the max amount of amps out of battery before voltage drops.
Thinking about Reserve Capacity, the OE Motorcraft battery is rated for 65 minutes @ 25 amps, by my (suspect) calculations that is about 22 days before the battery is discharged to 10.5 volts, @ a worst case quiescent current draw of 50mA. Of course this is for a fully charged good battery and a ambient temperature of 26C (79F), capacity goes down at lower temperatures - about half below freezing!
Do we know what is the minimum voltage needed to power up enough systems to allow the 400 volt battery to start the engine?
Sponsored