First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How long should it take to order a new car? I know there'll be people hating and saying "not Amazon" and "instant gratification culture" but seriously.... There are people who put orders in in June/July that are still waiting. How much is too much? 60 days? 90 days? 120 days?

Someone who has custom ordered a new car/truck before, how long did it take you?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered two new AMG Mercedes, a '17 CLA45 and a '19 C43 and it took a week shy of 5 months for the one and 4 1/2 months for the other. They also were built in a foreign country.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll just leave this here:

"delay

dĭ-lā′
intransitive verb
  1. To postpone until a later time; defer.
  2. To cause to be later or slower than expected or desired.
  3. To act or move slowly; put off an action or a decision."

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered two new AMG Mercedes, a '17 CLA45 and a '19 C43 and it took a week shy of 5 months for the one and 4 1/2 months for the other. They also were built in a foreign country.
That's sobering and good information. Built in the EU? So the shipping was probably at least a month?

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dude, I get it, you want your truck and so do I, but it is what it is. I don't see the need for almost every post you make commenting on how it's delayed. Ford's been pretty upfront that this was a fall launch, so even if you ordered in June you were looking at late September at the earliest, and if everything went to plan. I've been waiting since Day 1 with a reservation and an order 6 days later. My hybrid is still scheduled for build next week and I anticipate having it before December. Give it time.

Oh, and yes, Ford isn't Amazon. If you're that hard up for a Maverick then try to find one locally and buy that.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But that also wasn't in the middle of a global pandemic with shortages in components, shipping, labor, and production capacity on nearly every level of the process. And it's a new product line, to boot.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dude, I get it, you want your truck and so do I, but it is what it is. I don't see the need for almost every post you make commenting on how it's delayed. Ford's been pretty upfront that this was a fall launch, so even if you ordered in June you were looking at late September at the earliest, and if everything went to plan. I've been waiting since Day 1 with a reservation and an order 6 days later. My hybrid is still scheduled for build next week and I anticipate having it before December. Give it time.

Oh, and yes, Ford isn't Amazon. If you're that hard up for a Maverick then try to find one locally and buy that.
I hear you. I've never ordered a new vehicle. I have no idea if this normally takes 2 months or 6. That's why I replied to the previous thread that this is "sobering."

I believe the biggest problem is expectations. People expected trucks sooner than this because of the communication received from Ford. If Ford had just said "winter" or even "early 2022" then the people who placed orders that aren't getting their trucks would not be upset and the people getting their trucks 2-3 months early would be thrilled. 😮

This is not an understanding problem from customers, this is a communication/PR problem with Ford.

It's almost as if Ford is moving to a build to order system, but their PR is still working as if it were 2018.

Last edited:

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hear you. I've never ordered a new vehicle. I have no idea if this normally takes 2 months or 6. That's why I replied to the previous thread that this is "sobering."

I believe the biggest problem is expectations. People expected trucks sooner than this because of the communication received from Ford. If Ford had just said "winter" or even "early 2022" then the people who placed orders that aren't getting their trucks would not be upset and the people getting their trucks 2-3 months early. 😮

This is not an understand problem from customers, this is a communication/PR problem with Ford.

It's almost as if Ford is moving to a build to order system, but their PR is still working as if it were 2018.
In normal times 6-8 weeks for a special order would be normal, obviously these aren't normal times so...

But here's the thing, Ford said fall and Ford has delivered orders in fall. In fact, we're only two weeks into fall so I'm not sure what the issue is. Listen, if this was January I'd be with you on the hate train, but it's not and they've been pushing out vehicles and will continue to build, so I'm not worried.

I also get the argument that people should get scheduled on a first come - first served basis, not going to happen, but I get it. I'm happy that I was lucky enough to get scheduled and really hope everyone that ordered early gets one before Christmas. I also agree that I wish Ford would be better at communicating and training their dealers on this new vehicle. I mean, draft some emails and send them out at scheduled times. You'd have though that they would've learned after the Bronco fiasco.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
A lot of the orders here were placed pre-production... That's not a good time frame to look at. Timing will be anecdotal and difficult to extrapolate for a while.

Abox5

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the world today. What else are you going to do but wait? All the other manufacturers are in the same position as Ford. Maybe shutting down the world’s economy for a year wasn’t a brilliant idea and has consequences.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll just leave this here:

"delay

dĭ-lā′
intransitive verb
  1. To postpone until a later time; defer.
  2. To cause to be later or slower than expected or desired.
  3. To act or move slowly; put off an action or a decision."
Your constant whining on this subject is really getting annoying.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
This is the world today. What else are you going to do but wait? All the other manufacturers are in the same position as Ford. Maybe shutting down the world’s economy for a year wasn’t a brilliant idea and has consequences.
Maybe relying on outdated chips that get low priority at modern fabs while not maintaining sufficient inventory of very cheap, essential parts and also completely misreading market demand has consequences... Can't keep blaming prioritizing human life, have to start blaming companies' inflexibility.

Abox5

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe relying on outdated chips that get low priority at modern fabs while not maintaining sufficient inventory of very cheap, essential parts and also completely misreading market demand has consequences... Can't keep blaming prioritizing human life, have to start blaming companies' inflexibility.
What does using older tech chips have to do with anything? Before the economy was shutdown there were plenty of low and high tech chips. Shutting the economy down for good or bad reasons is the cause of all the shortages we have today. There are consequences for decisions and this is what we are living with today.

OP
OP
mamboman777

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
What does using older tech chips have to do with anything? Before the economy was shutdown there were plenty of low and high tech chips. Shutting the economy down for good or bad reasons is the cause of all the shortages we have today. There are consequences for decisions and this is what we are living with today.
The demand for all chips has increased. Because they're using outdated ones on old processes that produce fewer chips per wafer that are less profitable for fabs, their orders lose priority to those of phones and other tech which use smaller, higher margin/yield chips. There are consequences for stagnation. Auto manufacturers were caught flat-footed, moreso than other industries because they whiffed on demand forecasts and rely on old tech.
Sponsored