Sponsored

How do you jumpstart a hybrid with a dead battery? Could I jumpstart other cars?

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 Lariat Lux 1$tED 4k AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You don't jump start a hybrid. Wrong term. Hybrids don't have a starter, so you don't jumpstart one. You can use any 12v battery to turn on/start a hybrid- even those small hand held battery packs (if it is 12v) will turn it on. Once the electronics are turned on, the hybrid/traction battery turns on the electric motor and the electric motor starts the gas motor. If the big hybrid/traction battery is dead, there is no way you can start the gas motor. Don't jump start gas only cars with a hybrid. The electrical system wasn't designed to turn over the starter on a gas engine.
Refer to owners manual Pg 282 under jump starting your hybrid, it gives you the procedure to "JUMP STARTING YOUR HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE" (FORD HAS A BETTER IDEA)
Sponsored

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But there are jumper points under the hood. Check the owners manual for location/instructions.
Yep, I was only commenting the location of the 12v battery

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat hybrid, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes you can jump start a Maverick. I don’t think the term jump start is incorrect for the Maverick. You are after all using jumper cables and the manual calls it jump starting You cannot jump another car from the Maverick.
There are 2 locations although the jumper points under the hood are best otherwise the 12 volt battery is under the seat. The high voltage battery is under the truck. See the owners manual for precise instructions.
The 12 volt battery runs the systems and provides the power to close contacts on the high voltage battery so it can engage the electric motor or start the ICE depending on the conditions.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes you can jump start a Maverick. I don’t think the term jump start is incorrect for the Maverick. You are after all using jumper cables and the manual calls it jump starting You cannot jump another car from the Maverick.
There are 2 locations although the jumper points under the hood are best otherwise the 12 volt battery is under the seat. The high voltage battery is under the truck. See the owners manual for precise instructions.
The 12 volt battery runs the systems and provides the power to close contacts on the high voltage battery so it can engage the electric motor or start the ICE depending on the conditions.
Why can't you jump another car from the 12v battery of the hybrid Maverick? Isn't it a good ol' dumb 12v battery, just a little bit small?

How do you define jump starting a hybrid Maverick?

troynm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat hybrid, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why can't you jump another car from the 12v battery of the hybrid Maverick? Isn't it a good ol' dumb 12v battery, just a little bit small?

How do you define jump starting a hybrid Maverick?
I read somewhere that it can cause damage to the Maverick 12 volt battery if you jump start another car from your Maverick Hybrid. I don't think it has the peak amps needed to start another vehicle. The 12 volt battery in the Maverick doesn't start the vehicle it only runs the 12 volt systems and activates the high voltage battery that actually spins the electric motor to start the Maverick.

Sponsored

SolidWrecks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm kind of at a loss why you can't jump another car. The DCDC can send up to 265 amps to the maverick battery. Then there's what the battery can also supply for a short time. That's more than what a cheap pair of jumper cables can send to another vehicle. Time will tell how the DCDC works out on very high loads.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Quick google check shows the Hybrid's battery is over 300amps less than the Eco's, and presumably 300 less than the typical battery in most gas vehicles.

Could the jumping prohibition be because while the Hybrid technically has enough amps to jump something else, it doesn't have enough overage to do so without harming its own battery somehow?

SolidWrecks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would expect it would turn on the engine and start pulling from the MG1 when it realizes the 12V battery is dropping quick. I want to look into making that 12V battery a much larger 12V LiFePO4 battery. That way, I could put a bigger inverter in the vehicle and not worry about stress on the 12V battery. Also possibly put a removable solar panel on top for camping that I take off when I drive off.

BlackXL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 F-350, 2 F-250, 4 escape, mustang, bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would expect it would turn on the engine and start pulling from the MG1 when it realizes the 12V battery is dropping quick. I want to look into making that 12V battery a much larger 12V LiFePO4 battery. That way, I could put a bigger inverter in the vehicle and not worry about stress on the 12V battery. Also possibly put a removable solar panel on top for camping that I take off when I drive off.
Please keep us updated with your results. I was contemplating doing this in a flat-tow situation behind a Super-C.

SolidWrecks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please keep us updated with your results. I was contemplating doing this in a flat-tow situation behind a Super-C.
It's going to take a while as I still don't have a VIN assigned yet...

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would expect it would turn on the engine and start pulling from the MG1 when it realizes the 12V battery is dropping quick.

It used to be (And I doubt this has changed) discharging a lead battery below even 80% could cause damage to it. Maybe trying to jump a full sized battery drains the Hybrid's 12V faster than the system can move to protect the system and stay over 80.

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the Maverick, it seems the lithium battery is behind the back seat. Is that battery 12v? Does it do all the usual 12v vehicle functions as well? Is there a separate one? I have no experience with hybrids, and wonder how this works.
I drive a 2009 Ford escape hybrid, I have jumped many people off without a problem. Only diff the Mav will have is it's battery location which is under the back seat.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the Maverick, it seems the lithium battery is behind the back seat. Is that battery 12v? Does it do all the usual 12v vehicle functions as well? Is there a separate one? I have no experience with hybrids, and wonder how this works.
There are posts under the hood for jump starting the battery. I don't have the owner's manual close by, but I think it's listed under 'battery' in the index.

SolidWrecks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depleting a car battery under 80% isn't that big of a deal when a battery is $100-$200 and I also plan to replace the battery with a LiFePO4 battery anyway. You shouldn't end up discharging a car battery more than 5-10% giving a jump anyway unless you are doing something wrong or the other car has major issues. Using an inverter is a little different of a use case for amount of energy pulled from the system but MG1 should come on and compensate. People generally have a hard time differentiating between power and energy.

That said, it will be interesting to see if the car will even let me discharge the 12v battery lower than 80%. I have seen with the Jeep 4XE, there is an on voltage and off for the DCDC as that system does not have a standard 12V alternator either.

I'm pretty sure they account for the use case of people with a parked truck powering things off the battery or inverters in back and don't let that deep cycle the battery as it's in pretty much all of their marketing material, park the truck and have a tailgate all day and it'll manage the battery for you.

I've got an Antigravity Batteries jump starter with 66 Wh of energy and it will jump a full sized truck and barely use any of the energy inside the battery. The hybrid battery looks to be 45 Ah so that would be 540 Wh energy or so so the 33 wh used from the jumper if it took it down 50% would be < 10% of the car battery.

Last edited:

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
You cannot jump another car from the Maverick.
I read somewhere that it can cause damage to the Maverick 12 volt battery i
Falsehoods and lies. RTFM, jump starting other cars is fine. I've done it with my hybrids for years.
Depleting a car battery under 80% isn't that big of a deal ...
You're confusing lead-acid 12v batteries with Li-ion batteries. 80% is important for both, but one must stay below that charge level and the other above it. One wonders if you have a clue.
Sponsored