Sponsored

Does anybody have any idea how much a hybrid battery cost to replace?

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I always wondered why the battery is so expensive. I know plug-ins and EVs have large battery packs, but isn't the Maverick's hybrid battery just the 12V under the rear passenger seat? It looks like a standard car battery and is in an easy-to-access location. Is there something I'm missing?
Sponsored

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As noted above the HV battery is warranted for 8 years / 100k miles.

My Prius had 110,000 on it when I sold it and the battery tested 90% of new.

Unless there is an actual failure, which would be covered under warranty these batteries don't just die at a certain point but they do start to lose the ability to hold a full charge. I've read that Prius batteries usually hold 80% plus over 200k miles. And in a hybrid you just really will not notice that. On an actual EV though you would see a difference.

It seems every other post by ICE fear mongers is "wait until you have to replace that battery". The reality is you won't have to replace it. Not for 200k or more. And the warranty is for 8 years by which time replacement ones will be dirt cheap either after market or refurbished.

And lets say that battery does fail completely at 100k, out of warranty. An ICE vehicle that gets 20mpg (my current ride) will use 5,000 gallons of fuel for that 100k miles. The hybrid Maverick will be more like 2,500. At $4 per gallon that is $10,000 to buy a new battery that will almost certainly cost less than $2,000. Put whatever numbers you want into that and decide for yourself. But any way you look at it, you are way ahead with the hybrid.
Your not wrong and hopefully ford will have figured out their hybrid issues for those of you that get a MY23 as current MY22 owners for ford hybrids (not just mavericks) are being told to park their vehicles away from the house incase it catches fire and that isn't counting the other issues the hybrid maverick had had so far.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always wondered why the battery is so expensive. I know plug-ins and EVs have large battery packs, but isn't the Maverick's hybrid battery just the 12V under the rear passenger seat? It looks like a standard car battery and is in an easy-to-access location. Is there something I'm missing?
It's smaller than fully electric or plug-in hybrid batteries, but it's a pretty serious battery. Under the rear right passenger foot area.

Ford Maverick Does anybody have any idea how much a hybrid battery cost to replace? 1659641158706

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's smaller than fully electric or plug-in hybrid batteries, but it's a pretty serious battery. Under the rear right passenger foot area.

1659641158706.png
Thanks. Yeah, I just found a thread that talks about it. The 12V under the passenger seat looks like a standard car battery because it is just the standard car battery. I guess I can see that hybrid one being a bit pricey (still not $2-3k pricey) but more than a typical battery.

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
8 years is a long time. Picture what you were up to in 2014...
I was 2 years into driving my 2012 Hybrid Escape. 10 years and still running just fine. about 150,000 miles.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not just a bunch of battery cells in there. The controller, contactor, fuses, and other components are packaged in the unit as well.

Ford Maverick Does anybody have any idea how much a hybrid battery cost to replace? 1638719828379-

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
owners for ford hybrids (not just mavericks) are being told to park their vehicles away from the house incase it catches fire and that isn't counting the other issues the hybrid maverick had had so far.
What issues would that be?

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What issues would that be?
Catalytic converters getting glowing red hot when the remote start is used, and issues with regen braking are the ones I can think of off the top of my head and I have seen reports of DOA hybrid batteries but I don't know how true the last one is.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Catalytic converters getting glowing red hot when the remote start is used, and issues with regen braking are the ones I can think of off the top of my head and I have seen reports of DOA hybrid batteries but I don't know how true the last one is.
There are some that both types shared like the factory SIBL on the original runs having damaged the fuel tank, the rear seat belts, trailer brake controller being faulty. I didn't have any of those problems on my ecoboost but I did have a bad seal on my wiring harness that cause water infiltration and caused some corrosion and had to replace it but that was my only "defect" as of right now. It is possible that the dealer may have fixed my Trailer brake while it was in for the routine maintenance though I don't know though I do know they updated the computer on one of my visits.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Indeed. The oldest Mavericks have been on the road less than a year and people are already trying to math out replacement cost on the battery which is under warranty for a long time. Also acting like hybrid technology debuted with the Maverick and isn’t decades old now.

Gotta love forums.
Not everybody drive 15k miles a year.
I will be out of hybrid component warranty in three years so this is a valid concern. Granted prices will be much different then.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your not wrong and hopefully ford will have figured out their hybrid issues for those of you that get a MY23 as current MY22 owners for ford hybrids (not just mavericks) are being told to park their vehicles away from the house incase it catches fire and that isn't counting the other issues the hybrid maverick had had so far.
I think you're getting confused by news reports that were combining the Escape/Maverick/Corsair hybrid shutter/shield recall alongside the Navigator/Expedition recall which does have a fire risk, park outside order.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did a search for red hot catalytic converter and came up with nothing except a click bait Youtube video. Maybe I'm searching on the wrong terms.

Not aware of any issues with regen braking what was that?

No DOA hybrid batteries ever reported that I am aware of. Maybe you are thinking of the battery harness issue?

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you're getting confused by news reports that were combining the Escape/Maverick/Corsair hybrid shutter/shield recall alongside the Navigator/Expedition recall which does have a fire risk, park outside order.
You are correct I thought they had issued the park outside for the mavericks as well but ford says they aren't a risk of fire while parked.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did a search for red hot catalytic converter and came up with nothing except a click bait Youtube video. Maybe I'm searching on the wrong terms.
On Maverick hybrids produced up until March there's the potential for the fuel management to cycle on and off when the HV battery reaches capacity from long remote start durations. This causes elevated catalytic converter temperatures/sulfur odor. There's a TSB to reprogram for vehicles experiencing this.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid