Sponsored

Hood protection

Watson

2.5L Hybrid
Member
First Name
Watson
Joined
Sep 28, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Location
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Vehicle(s)
2026 Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen the TPE hood protecter that is held on by tape. I'm not real interested in taping to the paint. Then there's the plastic hood protector that screws into the underside of the hood. I don't know how long that would hold up to the sun and rocks. Then I found the Aunginsy Car Hood Protector Bra that is leather. It slips over the hood with clips underneath to hold it in place. It's waterproof, insulated and has a soft lining inside. Has anyone had any experience with this? $56 on Amazon.
Ford Maverick Hood protection 1791212743326-6d
Sponsored

 

FredsMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Fred
Joined
May 17, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
60
Reaction score
117
Location
Forest Hill Md
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Maverick Hybrid AWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn’t use the bra. It covers the paint and will leave a mark. I have the hood protector that screws on underneath the hood and it is pretty sturdy and can go through car washes and you can clean underneath it.
 

Sponsored

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,721
Reaction score
15,884
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ditto on avoiding the bra, had one on a car a long time ago and it left marks in the paint after a year.
Once you removed it.
Was there any paint discoloration?
I wouldn't want a color difference, between the area of the hood that was protected / covered and the uncovered area of the hood.
One of my other concern with this style hood protector is, its insulated and has a soft lining inside. Will hold moisture? Especially if you live near the ocean.
 

El Kabong

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Threads
15
Messages
456
Reaction score
928
Location
Carnation, WA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid AWD, 2017 VW Golf Wolfsburg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Was there any paint discoloration?
On my '96 V6 Contour had hazing in spots where the edges of the bra were. Did not notice any actual lasting effect on the paint after I had the issue "corrected" by a detailer because I did not trust myself to cut into the finish with a buffer.

You do have to remove the bra and clean it (and the paint underneath) once in a while.

These were a fad from a long time ago, ind o surprised folks still use them.
 

MikeS1942

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Nov 27, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
389
Reaction score
457
Location
Windsor Ontario
Vehicle(s)
24 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen the TPE hood protecter that is held on by tape. I'm not real interested in taping to the paint. Then there's the plastic hood protector that screws into the underside of the hood. I don't know how long that would hold up to the sun and rocks. Then I found the Aunginsy Car Hood Protector Bra that is leather. It slips over the hood with clips underneath to hold it in place. It's waterproof, insulated and has a soft lining inside. Has anyone had any experience with this? $56 on Amazon.
1791212743326-6d.webp
I had the clear film put on the front of my 24, at the build, and I'm so glad I did that. At almost 40k clicks, I have no chips of any kind in the front of my truck. I wasn't sure this would work when I placed my build, but it has absolutely been great.
By the way, l finally put my Mav picture, and took my Firebird off.
 

Headcase650

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Adrian
Joined
Feb 9, 2025
Threads
8
Messages
119
Reaction score
201
Location
Missouri
Vehicle(s)
Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bras bad! I have the stick on Lund in matte black like the rest of the taped on plastic. The bed caps, the rockers, cab trim and the fender flares I added. Once you put it on it's never coming off unless you have a collision.
 
Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Jan 9, 2022
Threads
64
Messages
5,700
Reaction score
6,326
Location
SoCal
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Back in the 80's bras were the car accessory to have. The problem is they tended to cloud the paint. Hood deflectors serve two purposes; keeping the front edge of the hood from rock damage and deflecting debris away from the windshield.
Question for those who favor the PPF. Did you have the entire truck covered or just the hood?
 

huckabeec

2.5L Hybrid
Active member
First Name
Craig
Joined
Jun 12, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
28
Reaction score
42
Location
Charleston, SC
Vehicle(s)
2003 F-150, 2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Question for those who favor the PPF. Did you have the entire truck covered or just the hood?
I did the whole front, hood, lights, fenders, etc and the A pillars and leading part of the roof.

PPF guy was pretty cool and said doing the back half on a truck had diminished returns, most of the chips are in the front half. Mudflaps are a good investment.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dad

dlivry7

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
Joined
Aug 31, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
95
Reaction score
148
Location
IL
Vehicle(s)
24 Mav Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Back in the 80's bras were the car accessory to have. The problem is they tended to cloud the paint. Hood deflectors serve two purposes; keeping the front edge of the hood from rock damage and deflecting debris away from the windshield.
Question for those who favor the PPF. Did you have the entire truck covered or just the hood?
i also had the entire front wrapped. bumper cover, hood, a pillars, fenders, and a 8" strip above the windshield on the roof. happy with it
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dad

Huffy

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
T
Joined
Jul 25, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
54
Reaction score
86
Location
AZ
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Once you removed it.
Was there any paint discoloration?
I wouldn't want a color difference, between the area of the hood that was protected / covered and the uncovered area of the hood.
One of my other concern with this style hood protector is, its insulated and has a soft lining inside. Will hold moisture? Especially if you live near the ocean.
Never again, fine dust gets underneath bra and “sands” your paint, and quite effectively too, especially if you live in a area that has lots of dust and or you don’t wash that much! Go PPF
Sponsored

 
 







Top