First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick to be
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I just got hybrid xlt a few weeks back, and haven’t needed gas yet, but in driving very carefully, I’m averaging 32.3 mpg in city driving. Although I’m happy to be in the 30’s, it’s not anything close to the 40. Do new vehicles take “adjustments” or “break in” before real mileage kicks in?
Sponsored

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Perhaps you're "babying" it too much. Hybrids do best when you promptly bring them up to speed and then "pulse and glide" to maintain a desired average.

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's odd your reporting this. Like you I've had mine for two weeks, not enough time to have used a tank of gas yet but I'm doing better than the advertised amounts. I've seen it as high as 60+ and as low as the mid 30's on my short 3 mile in town commute to work. On the highway at 45 to 50 MPH I average close to or about 50. Electric mode at least a third of the time or better every trip. Can I ask if the AC is being used or if your driving style is heavy on the accelerator?

Here's an example...

Ford Maverick Gas mileage 20230813_195956
Ford Maverick Gas mileage 20230813_200002

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps you're "babying" it too much. Hybrids do best when you promptly bring them up to speed and then "pulse and glide" to maintain a desired average.
That is what I've found out. If you push that battery draw meter past the first notch your guaranteed to hear the engine come on. Let off and if the battery has enough of a charge it takes over for a bit. Pulse and glide is a good way to describe it.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is what I've found out. If you push that battery draw meter past the first notch your guaranteed to hear the engine come on. Let off and if the battery has enough of a charge it takes over for a bit. Pulse and glide is a good way to describe it.
There are several descriptions of this method (pulse and glide) on this forum just do a search on it.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I just got hybrid xlt a few weeks back, and haven’t needed gas yet, but in driving very carefully, I’m averaging 32.3 mpg in city driving. Although I’m happy to be in the 30’s, it’s not anything close to the 40. Do new vehicles take “adjustments” or “break in” before real mileage kicks in?
Most likely you are taking too much time to get up to speed the number if you take 15 minutes longer to get to your destination that will be an additional time the ice comes on to replace electricity used in that amount of time. Find a ten+ mile stretch of 30-45 mph speed zone. Pick standard, economy, or slippery and set cruse at that speed 39-41 range may be best for demonstration. If it's straight and without much up and down just push the X on cruise and let truck slow down say 5-8 mph or so then hit resume. Watch the power gage cruise will push power gage to 20-25% maybe more for one to three seconds and immediately drop into electric mode. If ice comes on it will stay on until HVB has about 40% charge then ice will stop. Cruise at this speed demonstrate a way for you to imitate. Expect cruise at this speed to get 50mpg or more. You can drive and get more mpg than cruise because you can vary your speed based on anticipating when accelerating is not necessary. But this will demonstrate how a faster takeoff helps get more mpg and how quickly you have to get off the accelerator. Have fun.

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Most likely you are taking too much time to get up to speed the number if you take 15 minutes longer to get to your destination that will be an additional time the ice comes on to replace electricity used in that amount of time. Find a ten+ mile stretch of 30-45 mph speed zone. Pick standard, economy, or slippery and set cruse at that speed 39-41 range may be best for demonstration. If it's straight and without much up and down just push the X on cruise and let truck slow down say 5-8 mph or so then hit resume. Watch the power gage cruise will push power gage to 20-25% maybe more for one to three seconds and immediately drop into electric mode. If ice comes on it will stay on until HVB has about 40% charge then ice will stop. Cruise at this speed demonstrate a way for you to imitate. Expect cruise at this speed to get 50mpg or more. You can drive and get more mpg than cruise because you can vary your speed based on anticipating when accelerating is not necessary. But this will demonstrate how a faster takeoff helps get more mpg and how quickly you have to get off the accelerator. Have fun.
This is the so true.
It feels odd, but accelerating faster made my mileage increase in my Lexus CT200h, and I bet it's the same in the Maverick.

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It has been very hot there; so that is likely the issue.(ie a/c and cooing the hybrid batteries)

OP
OP

Utjazz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick to be
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes it’s been hot here. So. The ac is on, but I wouldn’t say overdoing it. Congratulations minntomich on your purchase as well! Love waking up to take it to work!

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The air conditioning takes 1000 to 3000 watts.

Spinning the wheels gently in city driving ( 25 to 40 mph ) takes 10,000 to 15,000 watts.

So proportionally, air conditioning can consume about 1/5 of your battery power.

Sponsored

FunctionSpec

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick HYBRID XLT LuxPkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My MPG was low like yours when I first got the Maverick hybrid. Somewhere in the 20s. It gradually got better and hitting close to 40 MPG average. I am about 43 MPG average now, either the hotter SoCal weather helped or the truck itself is doing better. I'm not a careful driver, I race everyone off the line up to the speed limit to see who can get to that speed the fastest. If you squeeze the throttle just right, the truck scoots along really quick.

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can achieve that on the hwy with my ecoboost. And 26-27 in the city.give it time,it should go up.

HughdMan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't drive in the city much, I'm out in BFE. In the mountains, on the highway and driving 60mph I get about 45-47mpg. In the hills of northern Georgia I get around 50mpg. MPG is estimated by the car itself. I will divide gallons against miles driven at the next fill-up. The last time I did this actually mpg overall was about 44mpg.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Drive as fast as you like.
Just avoid going beyond the 20% pwr mark. Still allows 70 mph.
ABOVE ALL……
Drive as if there was a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal.
Just went over 15k miles. 2/3rds back country roads. Maybe 10% at 80+.
Dash says 53.3 mpg for all 15k. May be a bit optimistic. But I do the math at every fill-up. Always 50 or so.
Pulse-and-glide! Crappola!
Use the egg!
Also…….38-42 psi, depending on temps.
I’m not going to argue. Just my (heretofore successful) way.

SoJoMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve had pretty much the exact same experience, and I’m coming from another hybrid (Honda CRZ) so I’m not new to driving hybrids.
Sponsored