Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Obviously, it's the magical powers of the "FX4" decal that provides superior snow performance!

(hint: you can get the same superior snow performance on ANY vehicle.....just slap on some FX4 decals! ;) )
oh, you mean the decal that comes off in the car wash?
Sponsored

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I drove in conditions today here in OH similar to the OPā€™s pics. I have FWD and real tires vs the POS ones that came on the lariat hybrid. No issues for me. IF you have good tread and know how to drive in winter weather, even RWD is fine.

Notice I said ā€œknow how to drive in winter weatherā€.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can certainly get by with fwd in the snow but saying they are about the same as an awd vehicle is silly talk. I just couldnt stomach owning a fwd truck, gotta be a reason no one else makes one, or do they, hell I dont even know lol.

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can certainly get by with fwd in the snow but saying they are about the same as an awd vehicle is silly talk. I just couldnt stomach owning a fwd truck, gotta be a reason no one else makes one, or do they, hell I dont even know lol.
This. This so hard. I'm not sure why people keep repeating the absolute falsehood that AWD is not much better than FWD. That may be (sometimes) true for cornering, but all thing equal, you are MUCH more likely to get stuck in winter conditions in a FWD car. When you stop in snow, getting rolling again is MUCH easier on an AWD car. Another huge factor to consider is snowy incline performance. Going up a snowy hill in a FWD car can be an absolute nightmare.

In short, the fact of the matter is an AWD vehicle with winter tires will always perform better than a FWD vehicle with winter tires. Period. In some situations only marginally, but always better.

Sponsored

Dturano547

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 10 Ford Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is my xlt fx4 on snow drives amazing!!
20220203_103649.jpg
20220203_103252.jpg
20220203_103241.jpg
What tint percentage did you do on the front rear? Did you leave the rear and tint front, or a little on the rear and more on the front? the back seems darker, but matches close, looking to get a close match front and back like you have.

Chrisjt0

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat EB FX4 LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am so glad he is happy with his purchase and how well his Maverick with FX4 does in the snow. I live in the snow and I got the FX4 package. But I didn't get because of the snow. I don't think my Lariat Lux with AWD would do any different in the snow with the same MAXXIS RAZR AT tires I bought.

I bought my FX4 for more trivial reasons. The tow hooks. I think it looks better on the front end with them in the bumper. But after seeing @JJC s mod for his non FX4 fog lights, I kinda regret even that decision!
I'm with you 100%

I went with FX4 for the look of the tow hooks.

Anyone who lives in a snowy climate knows that tires matter the most... AWD helps with acceleration, but does nothing for handling and braking. Case and point would be my wife and our Kia Telluride this morning.... on the way to drop the kids off at school she slid down the driveway and hit a tree. There was nothing she could do... driveway was iced over and she slid at 3mph for about 30 ft before impact. She was able to get back up the driveway fine... but couldn't steer down it. All her friends said "I can't believe you don't have studs?!"

Qwillex

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav Hybrid XLT, 04 Ford F350, 12 Mazda CX-9
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Meh, You can see where I live, Colorado, we get snow (did yesterday) you can see that I own a variety of vehicles, F350 has 4wd, CX9 is AWD, and the hybrid maverick is FWD. I'll take the FWD any day of the week, the AWD is barely better and really doesn't add any benefit. The F350 is for towing the camper or if we get so much snow that the other vehicles will be high centered. FWD is plenty fine in the snow.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm driving my AWD Maverick in the foot of snow we just got with no special drive modes with just the traction control off. It does great. People get all goofy and wrapped up in the hype of all these different drive modes.

Sponsored

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here is my xlt fx4 on snow drives amazing!!
20220203_103649.jpg
20220203_103252.jpg
20220203_103241.jpg
wow, look at those perfectly flat roads! some of y'all don't drive in snow very often and it shows. I live on a ski resort in Canada and daily drove a Miata and a Jetta TDi for years with only good winter tires for company up steep unplowed mountain passes. If you seriously think that FX4 is a 'must" in snow then I have serious doubt about your driving abilities.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
wow, look at those perfectly flat roads! some of y'all don't drive in snow very often and it shows. I live on a ski resort in Canada and daily drove a Miata and a Jetta TDi for years with only good winter tires for company up steep unplowed mountain passes. If you seriously think that FX4 is a 'must" in snow then I have serious doubt about your driving abilities.
I'm in the mountains of Utah, my jetta on snow tires is dramatically more capable than my mom's, brother's, and sister's outbacks on all-seasons. I've lived here for 15yrs, had a grand total of zero incidents with FWD vehicles, with good snow tires. There are hundreds of "tests" just like this confirming

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in the mountains of Utah, my jetta on snow tires is dramatically more capable than my mom's, brother's, and sister's outbacks on all-seasons. I've lived here for 15yrs, had a grand total of zero incidents with FWD vehicles, with good snow tires. There are hundreds of "tests" just like this confirming
I don't think anyone is arguing against FWD with winter tires is generally better than FWD or AWD with all-season tires. Rather, AWD with winter tires is the best possible combination, especially with the ability to diff lock front and/or rear....otherwise AWD drive is really 2WD, and FWD is really 1WD. But certainly agree that proper tires make the biggest difference, as a stand alone criteria.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FX4 sand mode is full rpms and awd allows for drifting. The OP should have said the fx4 is A MUST FOR SNOW FUN. Most of my dislike for FWD cars in the snow is the lack of fun and the dreaded sliding left or right. I'd take a RWD car any day over fwd for that reason alone. :ROFLMAO:

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AWD/4x4 kills fwd vehicles for motive traction in any road condition, every single time, no comparison. My 2017 AWD 2.0 eb escape with stock Continental all seasons tires, would easily pull away , on any snow or icy roads from my 2016 Mazda 6 with new Michelin Xice 3 snow tires. I know, I drive them both, and it isnā€™t even close. My Mazda 6 fwd with the xice 3ā€˜s has superior braking and turning grip than the Escape had with all seasons. I traded the Escape for my now Maverick AWD and itā€™s even better than the Escape was. I canā€™t believe people are even arguing this. For pulling out from a side road, through the piles of plowed snow, up hills, from dead stops, accelerating while moving, driving through thick unplowed fresh snow, quick full throttle jabs from a dead stop on dry roads, etc etc etc AWD wins every time. Every time.
Fwd with excellent top quality snow tires in my own experience and comparisons, with my own cars, is absolutely destroyed in forward traction grip by an AWD vehicle equipped with all season tires with 70%+ tread depth. Add winter rated tires to the AWD and wow, just wow, you will not ever question the get you moving traction advantage of AWD ever again.
Iā€™ve driven a lot of winters, in a lot of bad weather and nothing else gets you moving forward like an AWD/4x4 vehicle.
Sponsored