stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The FX4 package doesn't really offer anything that should improve performance or capability in the snow over basic AWD. Not to mention, all other things equal, AWD is of pretty minimal benefit over FWD in the snow. It's all about the tires.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Slippery mode is available on all non FX4 models. So is AWD. Tires is the most important differentiator, IMHO.

OP
OP
Dfw Maverick

Dfw Maverick

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4
Fx4 does have a better suspension then your non fx4 and handles ice and snow better.

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am so glad he is happy with his purchase and how well his Maverick with FX4 does in the snow. I live in the snow and I got the FX4 package. But I didn't get because of the snow. I don't think my Lariat Lux with AWD would do any different in the snow with the same MAXXIS RAZR AT tires I bought.

I bought my FX4 for more trivial reasons. The tow hooks. I think it looks better on the front end with them in the bumper. But after seeing @JJC s mod for his non FX4 fog lights, I kinda regret even that decision!

Jmsilver25

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion and Maverick XLT AWD ordered
I am so glad he is happy with his purchase and how well his Maverick with FX4 does in the snow. I live in the snow and I got the FX4 package. But I didn't get because of the snow. I don't think my Lariat Lux with AWD would do any different in the snow with the same MAXXIS RAZR AT tires I bought.

I bought my FX4 for more trivial reasons. The tow hooks. I think it looks better on the front end with them in the bumper. But after seeing @JJC s mod for his non FX4 fog lights. I kinda regret even that decision!
Honestly I got the FX4 for the exact same reason. Maverick without the tow hooks looks a little goofy. With them it is a true beauty. Same reason I went with black and added the Lux. The painted mirrors to match the body adds character and I was not a fan of all the Black plastic trim throughout the truck so getting black XLT, LUX FX4 is the perfect build IMO.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fx4 does have a better suspension then your non fx4 and handles ice and snow better.
I thought the difference in the fx4 suspension is just the rear shocks? What else is different?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

FX4 adds the more aggressive programming for mud/ruts mode. In a comparison video between it and a santa cruze and another with a subaru. It walked right up stuff that they struggled on or didnt even make at it all. Also a vehicle without front recovery points is just begging to have its bumper ripped off at some point in its life

I am pissed that I traded regular gauges for another big damn screen, but it is worth it for the added cooling, tow hooks, skid plate(a must for me), hill decent(a must since there is no low range gear box), monotube rear shocks, and tires that I wont have to replace just to be able to drive it home.

Also as for the OPs truck. Why did they deliver my truck to you and who switched out the alloy wheels? :ROFLMAO: LOVE IT IN BLUE!

Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with the OP, the FX4 package does well in snow. I had a ton of fun with the different drive modes. Stock pirelli tires too. Does it do better than other Mavericks? I don’t know and only a car reviewer may be able to tell you that.

Slippery....it works pretty good but isn’t a huge difference between normal in my opinion. It’s designed to suppress the throttle a bit and reduce wheel spin. I used it a lot when driving around on lightly plowed icy roads, worked fine. I appreciate it exists because it’s definitely needed for commuting since normal mode is a bit too jumpy at times in icy conditions, especially when cornering.

But sand and mud/ruts, blasting through deep snow? Oh yep as I basically threw it in mud/ruts mode and backed out into 18 inches of unplowed snow with almost no effort. It does very well for a cheap little truck...and it was a ton of fun driving in deep snow without a worry, sand mode was my favorite. Can’t wait to get a better set of tires on it in the future to see what it can really do as in some of those modes it almost feels like a mini rally truck lol.

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the difference in the fx4 suspension is just the rear shocks? What else is different?
you are correct. FX-4 gets Mono Tube rear shocks. The other poster is confusing his FX-4 with AWD- the AWD drive gives you the multi-link IRS.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Obviously, it's the magical powers of the "FX4" decal that provides superior snow performance!

(hint: you can get the same superior snow performance on ANY vehicle.....just slap on some FX4 decals! ;) )

Chowdayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 XLT FX4 Lightning Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great in the snow. I have the same build and have been taking it to the mountains this past week. Didn’t have any snow in LA/Riverside County, but still love the way it rides.
Sponsored