Sponsored

Fx4 package is a must on snow

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Obviously, it's the magical powers of the "FX4" decal that provides superior snow performance!

(hint: you can get the same superior snow performance on ANY vehicle.....just slap on some FX4 decals! ;) )
Everyone knows that the decals alone add 30 horsepower.
Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The FX4 package doesn't really offer anything that should improve performance or capability in the snow over basic AWD. Not to mention, all other things equal, AWD is of pretty minimal benefit over FWD in the snow. It's all about the tires.
Wrong
Equal tires on both AWD drives circles around FWD. 4 is better than two all day every day

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Obviously, it's the magical powers of the "FX4" decal that provides superior snow performance!

(hint: you can get the same superior snow performance on ANY vehicle.....just slap on some FX4 decals! ;) )
This is true.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wrong
Equal tires on both AWD drives circles around FWD. 4 is better than two all day every day
There are about a million tests out there proving you are wrong, unless your "running circles around" is a slight benefit in starting from a stop or going up a steep incline. The huge majority of issues driving in the snow are related to slipping when braking or turning, which having 4 drive wheels doesn't help with at all. The benefits of AWD in this context are in specific and rare circumstances, period.

It's an objective fact, the tires are dramatically more important in regards to snow capability than how many drive wheels there are.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
We just got 11 inches of snow here in Central Illinois. The AWD system on the Mav handled it no problem. Not really sure if the FX4 option is really "a must" just for snow though.

Sponsored

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I guess I will.put my 2 cents in . Looking at about 3/4 inch of ice in Tn and just turned over to snow you can have all the best equipment and tires Ect. But if you don't know how to drive in snow and ice or it's too bad stay Home . When I plowed snow in the Mountains the flat landers would come up to the Mountains and turns the roads into junk yards just my 2 cents ❔🤔❔

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There are about a million tests out there proving you are wrong, unless your "running circles around" is a slight benefit in starting from a stop or going up a steep incline. The huge majority of issues driving in the snow are related to slipping when braking or turning, which having 4 drive wheels doesn't help with at all. The benefits of AWD in this context are in specific and rare circumstances, period.

It's an objective fact, the tires are dramatically more important in regards to snow capability than how many drive wheels there are.
Watch this video and tell me it doesn’t provide more than FWD. NOTE the rear wheel locking to pivot the vehicle when turning. It’s better and that’s a fact. I would be willing to prove it side by side with an FWD. 8 to 10 inches of snow
Let’s roll, when you lose grip on the front tires, well l I have two more to push, pull, pivot. Same tires on FWD and AWD the AWD dominates.
Fact

Last edited:

kcirevam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Jeep, MINI
Engine
Undecided
Lived in Michigan all my life and have never needed AWD to get around.
Ford Maverick Fx4 package is a must on snow 258881444_1270653606775352_2206706089207435061_n

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AWD is like experience. The only ones who say it is not needed are the ones who do not have it.

I have owned 4 wheel drive and AWD every year since my 1967 Willy's Wagoneer. Be a doggone hard sell to get me to be thinking otherwise.

Last edited:

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh you consumers head 👋

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've never lived anywhere flat. Even when I lived in South Dakota, I lived in the Black Hills. 4WD/AWD straight up so much better to get going and keep control when you lose partial traction. Especially on grades. But, as pointed out above, it does nothing to help you stop or keep you from losing it on a giant sheet of ice in a curve.

Tires are a more important factor for most people, in most places than 4WD/AWD. But get AWD and great tires, and watch out! Advantage. Not perfect. Not fool proof. But advantage.

Now, way too many people put too much confidence in their AWD systems and then they change their driving habits and get too bold. Watch out for these folks on the road. They may take you out on their way to the ditch!!!

Last edited:

WVX76

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray XLT FX4, Subaru Forester Wilderness
I've owned 2WD vehicles and I've owned AWD vehicles. Now I only own AWD/4x4 vehicles.

Dang. I need to find a better climate! 🌴😎

It is true, AWD will get you in trouble a lot quicker than 2WD!

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've driven in buffalo snow winters with 2wd, AWD, and 4x4. Clearance of the car matters alot for deep snow (duh) and AWD was nice when the roads were super slippery and not plowed yet. Fwd was fine if you drive slow and don't need to go up many hills... It all depends on what type of "snow" you're driving in. In the country, in the mountains where they don't plow and the roads are hilly, AWD is great, in the city where they plow regularly and it's mostly flat, you'll be fine with fwd except for that one big snowstorm. That being said I'm trying fwd again cuz that hybrid gas mileage is **AMAZING** so wish me luck 🤞

Dturano547

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco Ranger XLT, 10 Ford Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know if the intention of the post was AWD vs non-AWD? My non FX4 AWD with 4Ktow package handled like a champ last Friday night when drive back from PA to my house in NY, I got my new maverick late Friday and drove back to NY in the storm we had. The next morning I drove on unplowed roads in 12"+ snow to get to work and was blown away how well the Maverick handled. I have also seen videos of the Maverick in normal mode figure out situations better than the FX4 additional modes. Every situation will be different for everyone, a lot of variables.

Im glad your happy with your Maverick and enjoying in your current weather conditions! The FX4 in my opinion is an option i had on my build but was not available on the Maverick i purchased. After my personal experience I'm ok with no FX4.

Best of luck with your new ride!
Sponsored