Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Please break out the hair dryer and remove that dealer emblem. It completely takes away from the nice look of your tailgate unless they are paying YOU to advertise for them.
Yep, hopefully tomorrow
Sponsored

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm unironically saying you must be an expert driver. Would absolutely not recommend a rwd vehicle in WI winters without snow tires for anyone who isnt. Def not something i want to deal with either
I don't know if I would say expert. But I drove my 2002 Mustang GT for 12 years in Wisconsin with high performance tires. I'd pass 4x4s in a blizzard never wrecked it. Plus it had the same battery from the factory when I sold it. Go Motorcraft! LoL

Rickydragon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You do get more but you also have better resources and manpower to clear the snow. Not to mention the slush, sleet, and freezing rain that we get. I’ll take my AWD over your FWD every time. Everybody has their thoughts and opinions ours just differ in this case. I am more than happy to pay the extra and have. I love my Maverick and wouldn’t change a thing.

DB9E7B07-F393-4BCC-A153-7DD412670D15.jpeg
I’m not saying front is better. I also ordered AWD. An AWD with snows are far superior then Front no questions about it, but unless you have snows AWD with all season tires will still slide in cold weather.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’m not saying front is better. I also ordered AWD. An AWD with snows are far superior then Front no questions about it, but unless you have snows AWD with all season tires will still slide in cold weather.
Agreed
I put Falken Wildpeak trails on mine. They have some bite and look awesome.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not 100% clear on this and I'm hoping someone can explain it in leman's terms. What's the difference between AWD, Fx4, 4x4 drivetrains. Why does a Fx4 truck say "off-road" on the side.

Sponsored

Rickydragon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you go with front wheel drive I would recommend snow tires.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not 100% clear on this and I'm hoping someone can explain it in leman's terms. What's the difference between AWD, Fx4, 4x4 drivetrains. Why does a Fx4 truck say "off-road" on the side.
Typically the difference is 4x4 has a transfer case that is manually/electronically able to be engaged and disengaged by the driver. AWD usually is less directly controllable by the driver and possibly engaged all the the time, although newer designs may have a computer controlled clutch to automatically switch from 2 to AWD as needed.

FX4 is just Ford's off-road feature tuned package. There's also 2WD FX2 packages on the Ranger and F-series. Usually features like upgraded shocks, skid plates, possibly locking differentials, better cooling, and all-terrain tires.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you go with front wheel drive I would recommend snow tires.
Having 4 drive wheels does nothing to help you turn or stop in the snow. If you live in an area that experiences regular snow, doesn't matter what or how many drive wheels there are, tires are BY FAR the most important part of the equation.

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
I have the solution...of it's snowing stay home!

OP
OP
leap3535

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want even more layman's terms-
AWD acts like FWD until it senses you slipping then kick power to the back wheels too.
4x4 is always on and all 4 wheels have separate power.
That's as far as I've understood it

Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in Vermont. I would never own a 2 wheel drive vehicle anymore. Never. Of course up here we have 9 months of winter and 3 months of lousy skiing so YMMV in this regard.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Man i drove in like Blizzard conditions in a FWD in Iowa for years. Its called Snow tires. FWD is fine in normal street driving in the snow. You arent "OffRoading" for crying out loud.

samesk8r

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick “Maverick” XLT hybrid Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Frankly tires have more impact in most snowy situations. AWD is better, hands down but it's not THAT much better in snow.
FWD with dedicated snow tires will be 90% the performance, or more, of most AWD with snows can do on the same tires.

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Most driving situation snow tires are better than four-wheel-drive.
I almost never used my 4x4 on my old truck because it had manual lock hubs and it was too much bother for me to get out and lock them. And in all that time, years and years, never got stuck because studded snow tires are the best invention ever.
Sponsored