First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you watch the video? Can FWD brake the rear inner and help turn the vehicle? Tires are a huge part of traction regardless. You won’t convince me that AWD isn’t better. In regards to stopping all vehicles are similar and the tires are everything. If things go awry I want the power on the tires that are getting the best traction. FWD gives two options, AWD gives four. I’ll take the four and double up. I got what I wanted and I wouldn’t change a thing.
Not to beleaguer the issue, but FWD could break the rear inner, I mean it has the same break as the AWD and with all the spin sensors and independent brake control for traction control and anti lock breaks. I don't see anything that would prevent it. I am also not trying to convince you AWD isn't better only that FWD + good tires isn't worse than AWD with fair tires.
Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I know some folks don't like CR for their reliability data, but they do have some good input on overall testing info.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm
Thanks for posting this great info, most people think there unstoppable with Awd /4w and can go through anything, its not true once the snow builds up under vehicle and exceeds the 8" and hits those skid plates of the fx4 you have no wheels on the ground your stuck.
I have had company cars with frt wheel drive and was very surprised how well they handle snow assumed it was the weight of the engine on those wheels. I ordered the fx4 , AWD for the decal.

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fwd will never compare to an Awd in the snow. I don't care what anyone says. They are sadly misinformed.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fwd will never compare to an Awd in the snow. I don't care what anyone says. They are sadly misinformed.
There are plenty of actual tests linked in this thread that provide indisputable evidence that tires are WAY more important for capability and safety in the snow than drive wheels, so how is anybody misinformed? A FWD vehicle with snow tires is significantly more capable in snow/ice than AWD with all-seasons, it's not debatable. There are only a few situations where AWD has any advantage (ie. starting from a stop on an incline).

I've lived in the mountains of Utah for 15yrs. We get 6+ months of snow every year and we do tons of mountain snow sports. I backwoods snowshoe a few hundred miles every winter in the Wasatch Mountains...in a VW jetta with snow tires. We've had exactly zero incidents, or anything close. Hardly concerned about the capability of our FWD Maverick in similar conditions with proper tires.

The best combo is obviously 4-drive wheels and the proper tires, but up to you to determine whether the added premium is worth it for you. Isn't for us.

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are plenty of actual tests linked in this thread that provide indisputable evidence that tires are WAY more important for capability and safety in the snow than drive wheels, so how is anybody misinformed? A FWD vehicle with snow tires is significantly more capable in snow/ice than AWD with all-seasons, it's not debatable. There are only a few situations where AWD has any advantage (ie. starting from a stop on an incline).

I've lived in the mountains of Utah for 15yrs. We get 6+ months of snow every year and we do tons of mountain snow sports. I backwoods snowshoe a few hundred miles every winter in the Wasatch Mountains...in a VW jetta with snow tires. We've had exactly zero incidents, or anything close. Hardly concerned about the capability of our FWD Maverick in similar conditions with proper tires.

The best combo is obviously 4-drive wheels and the proper tires, but up to you to determine whether the added premium is worth it for you. Isn't for us.
The question was AWD vs FWD, not if it's capable. Yes it's capable, but not as good as AWD. 2 wheels vs 4 wheels powering through the snow is absolutely no comparison. Period.

Sponsored

Daverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've spun out more times with awd than fwd. Power to rear wheels equals higher potential to fishtail. I'm not partial to one over the other, bigger factors are certainly tires and driver skill. I chose fwd only because I wanted hybrid.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The question was AWD vs FWD, not if it's capable. Yes it's capable, but not as good as AWD. 2 wheels vs 4 wheels powering through the snow is absolutely no comparison. Period.
Go back through this thread and look at all the links to actual comparisons. You saying there is "no comparison" is not a viable argument against scientifically-validated, third party testing. The only thing that someone should take from this thread is that tires are way more important than how many drive wheels you have in regards to capability and safety in snow.

AWD is certainly more capable for off-road driving, but that isn't the topic of discussion.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope that's true. The main reason for the hybrid is the gas mileage. I drive ALOT for work, luckily I'll be driving less soon! But if FWD w/snow tires on all paved roads really is as good as AWD without snows then I'll be less worried for sure
Lea. If you get snow tires, put four on. You will experience much better handling AND braking in the snow/ice. It is worth it for your safety and confidence. Mike.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I live in the snow belt, and my last 2 winter drivers have been rwd. First a 13 F150 for 6 winters, never got stuck once. then after buying a new Mustang GT, bought a E150 rwd van to haul things and use for winter. No limited slip, so I did invest in winter Blizzak tires. Haven't got stuck yet in 4 winters, and it tracks really well for an old rwd van. As good or better than many fwd vehicles. Winter tires make that much of a difference. Just swap out your winter set come spring.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Get snow tires makes the biggest difference. Drove a 2005 civic in the snow with no snow tires did ok bald tires not so much I would put snow tires on the front and have no problems it was a manual transmission and I'm used to lots of.really steep hills. You take a run at the hill and drift the corners to get up some of the hills they're around 15 percent grades so you had to. You do have a L for low and a Slippery mode on the hybrid use that and snow tires and it should work fine I watched a video of someone driving one in the snow seemed good enough
Sponsored