First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I almost never used my 4x4 on my old truck because it had manual lock hubs and it was too much bother for me to get out and lock them. And in all that time, years and years, never got stuck because studded snow tires are the best invention ever.
Check local/state laws about studs. Some States have out lawed them, studs wear out the road surface more quickly.
Sponsored

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Check local/state laws about studs. Some States have out lawed them, studs wear out the road surface more quickly.
Booo I pay my taxes, lemme use my snow tires... I mean if you did burn outs on pavement you got cool sparks too.

DeanR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback Tundra F250
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My snows last just a few days unless I get a bad blizzard, my experience is snow tires are great if you have a lot of continuous snow. I don't and snow tires wear really fast. My main reason to get AWD had nothing to do with snow, really soft areas and mud.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My snows last just a few days unless I get a bad blizzard, my experience is snow tires are great if you have a lot of continuous snow. I don't and snow tires wear really fast. My main reason to get AWD had nothing to do with snow, really soft areas and mud.
Front wheel drive cars are useless up here during our 5th Season aka mud season. Those of us country dwellers who live partially or off grid live on miles of dirt road that turn into quagmires during the spring thaw. Living on those roads is our decision. Owning an AWD to navigate all that mud is also our decision that we enjoy.

Front wheel drive versus AWD is a personal decision not a blanket decision.

tycorc585

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered a XLT Hybrid so I will be getting FWD. I'm concerned about how it will do in the snow. I live in Rochester, NY.
Some background- I currently drive a Jeep Renegade 4x4 and luckily we haven't had much snow last winter but in 2WD I was sliding and In 4WD I was sliding. I didn't have snow tires. Previously I lived in Buffalo, NY and I had a Honda Element AWD without snow tired and that thing was a TANK in snow. I could drive through a foot of fresh snow easy and I never got stuck. Before that I drove a Toyota Camry FWD without snow tires in the North Country of NY (so mountains, back roads, local guys with trucks would plow the roads because the town couldn't) and I slid all over, fish tailed, the whole thing.
Would any snow people with more driving experience (I'm 25) give me their thoughts on the FWD Maverick in the snow? Based on my research AWD helps best with starting/getting traction and going up hills but snow tired are what actually help with sliding and driving.
Yeah we sure got some snow this week. I also got a fwd eco XL build date march 7.

Sponsored

19redsox67

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kona. 2013 Soul
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had RWD Rangers from 1995-2013 and never got stuck in the snow up here in NH. I drove 35 miles each way to work and I would pass many 4x4ā€™s off the road. Itā€™s not what you drive BUT how you drive.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Donā€™t forget snow tires. Iā€™m willing to bet that real snow tires will make a bigger difference than awd will.
Wrong
AWD with good tires will drive around the FWD crawling along. I recently drove in snow and watched the AWD on the screen, absolutely amazing. Enough videos on hear showing the transfer of power and how it influences traction. No disrespect but itā€™s not even close. Not saying FWD isnā€™t effective just not nearly as effective

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had RWD Rangers from 1995-2013 and never got stuck in the snow up here in NH. I drove 35 miles each way to work and I would pass many 4x4ā€™s off the road. Itā€™s not what you drive BUT how you drive.
Agree about the drivers but equally skilled driversā€¦AWD wins every time. The Maverick thinks for the driver and provides traction where neededā€¦front tires slip, power is transferred where needed. Note, inside rear tire will lock and provide a pivot point to turn. FWD, not so much.
It is an amazing little truck.

Last edited:

19redsox67

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kona. 2013 Soul
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree about the drivers but equally skilled driversā€¦AWD wins every time.

I must be a super skilled driveršŸ˜. But seriously, it seems that a lot of people with 4x4 and AWD will drive faster than conditions allow. Doesnā€™t matter what your skill is, if you hit ice your going to slide.
Also in my 40 years of driving in NH, I have never used snow tires

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Man i drove in like Blizzard conditions in a FWD in Iowa for years. Its called Snow tires. FWD is fine in normal street driving in the snow. You arent "OffRoading" for crying out loud.
Not as good as AWD. Watch video, FWD canā€™t do what this AWD can. Sorry, but give me the AWD every time.

Sponsored

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I must be a super skilled driveršŸ˜. But seriously, it seems that a lot of people with 4x4 and AWD will drive faster than conditions allow. Doesnā€™t matter what your skill is, if you hit ice your going to slide.
Also in my 40 years of driving in NH, I have never used snow tires
You are an exception but I still want my AWD and my driving doesnā€™t suck

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wrong
AWD with good tires will drive around the FWD crawling along. I recently drove in snow and watched the AWD on the screen, absolutely amazing. Enough videos on hear showing the transfer of power and how it influences traction. No disrespect but itā€™s not even close. Not saying FWD isnā€™t effective just not nearly as effective
I believe AWD can accelerate better, but driving also involves stopping and turning and I fail to see how AWD helps in either stopping or turning. I also think turning and stopping are more critical in snow as I have never seen someone in a snow bank because they couldn't accelerate while I have seen many in snow banks because they didn't make a turn or didn't stop.

If AWD mattered more than tires then bald tires on an AWD would out perform treaded tires on a FWD, which I don't believe to be true. No one is arguing that AWD isn't better if the tires are comparable only that better tires also help in turning and braking.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I believe AWD can accelerate better, but driving also involves stopping and turning and I fail to see how AWD helps in either stopping or turning. I also think turning and stopping are more critical in snow as I have never seen someone in a snow bank because they couldn't accelerate while I have seen many in snow banks because they didn't make a turn or didn't stop.

If AWD mattered more than tires then bald tires on an AWD would out perform treaded tires on a FWD, which I don't believe to be true. No one is arguing that AWD isn't better if the tires are comparable only that better tires also help in turning and braking.
Did you watch the video? Can FWD brake the rear inner and help turn the vehicle? Tires are a huge part of traction regardless. You wonā€™t convince me that AWD isnā€™t better. In regards to stopping all vehicles are similar and the tires are everything. If things go awry I want the power on the tires that are getting the best traction. FWD gives two options, AWD gives four. Iā€™ll take the four and double up. I got what I wanted and I wouldnā€™t change a thing.
Sponsored