Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So yesterday, first time out in a decent snowfall. I was getting the stability control indicator flashing, so I put the truck into Slippery mode. Stopped at a corner for a RH turn... when I was proceeding the vehicle would not respond to the gas pedal. It felt like I was stuck and the throttle was not responding, the wheels did not seem to be turning at all. After a few moments it started to slowly move forward. It didn't behave like any other vehicle I've had... and was very unexpected.

Whats up here? Is slippery mode just for higher speeds? Is this behavior a malfunction or do I need to change my driving technique?
Sponsored

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So yesterday, first time out in a decent snowfall. I was getting the stability control indicator flashing, so I put the truck into Slippery mode. Stopped at a corner for a RH turn... when I was proceeding the vehicle would not respond to the gas pedal. It felt like I was stuck and the throttle was not responding, the wheels did not seem to be turning at all. After a few moments it started to slowly move forward. It didn't behave like any other vehicle I've had... and was very unexpected.

Whats up here? Is slippery mode just for higher speeds? Is this behavior a malfunction or do I need to change my driving technique?
When "Traction Control" is on there is less power/acceleration when in slippery condition. Computer will lessen power to wheel that is slipping (apply brakes to that wheel) so neither wheel will just spin. Turn off "Traction Control" and you should be able to spin a wheel has fast as you want.

MavFromTheDead

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

When "Traction Control" is on there is less power/acceleration when in slippery condition. Computer will lessen power to wheel that is slipping (apply brakes to that wheel) so neither wheel will just spin. Turn off "Traction Control" and you should be able to spin a wheel has fast as you want.
It's been said TC off and Sand mode is the way to go, but turn off tc at your own risk. *edit* just realized you have a hybrid, so probably no sand mode, huh?

hungliketictacs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick EcoBoost FWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can speak to being stuck in mud, you can NOT spin the wheels as much as you want regardless of drive modes and traction control on or off. "Stability control" (citation needed) is always on and it prevented wheel spin when I got stuck.

I have since added some of the FX4 drive modes via forscan and have yet to test if that makes a difference.

OP
OP

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can speak to being stuck in mud, you can NOT spin the wheels as much as you want regardless of drive modes and traction control on or off. "Stability control" (citation needed) is always on and it prevented wheel spin when I got stuck.

I have since added some of the FX4 drive modes via forscan and have yet to test if that makes a difference.
In the particular situation I was in, I could have managed the forward movement in the snow much better than the truck did. In the Slippery mode and Stability control on... it was like I was completely paused on the turn and was a hazard to oncoming traffic.

Sponsored

hungliketictacs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick EcoBoost FWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Linked here is the thread I started on the issue that goes into a little more detail.

Deleted member 1483

I do this kind of thing a lot I might have some insight here. There's pretty much nothing for the TC system to do when you are FWD from a stop other than cut power. I have no proof but in slippery mode it seems like it's dialed up to be more sensitive. I don't think there is anything wrong with your maverick.

Slippery mode is like telling the car I want you to do everything possible to make sure I don't lose control. When you are starting from a stop or in deeper snow that might not be what you want.

As others have mentioned you can temporarily disable traction control near the shifter. I would do this only as long as it takes to get moving, and immediately turn it back on.
Sponsored