First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a XLT Hybrid so I will be getting FWD. I'm concerned about how it will do in the snow. I live in Rochester, NY.
Some background- I currently drive a Jeep Renegade 4x4 and luckily we haven't had much snow last winter but in 2WD I was sliding and In 4WD I was sliding. I didn't have snow tires. Previously I lived in Buffalo, NY and I had a Honda Element AWD without snow tired and that thing was a TANK in snow. I could drive through a foot of fresh snow easy and I never got stuck. Before that I drove a Toyota Camry FWD without snow tires in the North Country of NY (so mountains, back roads, local guys with trucks would plow the roads because the town couldn't) and I slid all over, fish tailed, the whole thing.
Would any snow people with more driving experience (I'm 25) give me their thoughts on the FWD Maverick in the snow? Based on my research AWD helps best with starting/getting traction and going up hills but snow tired are what actually help with sliding and driving.
Sponsored

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered a XLT Hybrid so I will be getting FWD. I'm concerned about how it will do in the snow. I live in Rochester, NY.
Some background- I currently drive a Jeep Renegade 4x4 and luckily we haven't had much snow last winter but in 2WD I was sliding and In 4WD I was sliding. I didn't have snow tires. Previously I lived in Buffalo, NY and I had a Honda Element AWD without snow tired and that thing was a TANK in snow. I could drive through a foot of fresh snow easy and I never got stuck. Before that I drove a Toyota Camry FWD without snow tires in the North Country of NY (so mountains, back roads, local guys with trucks would plow the roads because the town couldn't) and I slid all over, fish tailed, the whole thing.
Would any snow people with more driving experience (I'm 25) give me their thoughts on the FWD Maverick in the snow? Based on my research AWD helps best with starting/getting traction and going up hills but snow tired are what actually help with sliding and driving.
AWD>FWD>RWD in snow.

I sure some one will reply with I had x car that was fwd or rwd and drove in 3 feet of snow up a mountain.

But let’s be real, awd is the ticket for bad weather and loss of traction. And of course a true 4wd would Trump them all.

With that being said you can get around pretty good in a fwd with dedicated snow tires, just don’t expect the traction you had in your awd.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Plus, if you ever get stuck in 4wd, you are stuck ( sans winch or an assist)

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t forget snow tires. I’m willing to bet that real snow tires will make a bigger difference than awd will.

Sponsored

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
Although you can get by with FWD as long as you get snow tires, an AWD will do just fine with all season tires except for extreme cases.

It is all a matter of having realistic expectations, if you don't want to deal with two sets of tires(summer/snow) then get an AWD.

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWD with snow tires can handle any snow on paved surface, the limiting factor is clearance and that should be pretty good for the Maverick.
4WD is good when you leave paved roads but without quality tires you will not gain much over FWD.

OP
OP
leap3535

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Although you can get by with FWD as long as you get snow tires, an AWD will do just fine with all season tires except for extreme cases.

It is all a matter of having realistic expectations, if you don't want to deal with two sets of tires(summer/snow) then get an AWD.
I'm totally fine with getting snow tires. I just really hate the snow and cold so I'm terrified of getting really stuck 😂

OP
OP
leap3535

leap3535

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD With snow tires > FWD with snow tires > AWD a/s > FWD a/s > RWD in snow.
I hope that's true. The main reason for the hybrid is the gas mileage. I drive ALOT for work, luckily I'll be driving less soon! But if FWD w/snow tires on all paved roads really is as good as AWD without snows then I'll be less worried for sure

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
I hope that's true. The main reason for the hybrid is the gas mileage. I drive ALOT for work, luckily I'll be driving less soon! But if FWD w/snow tires on all paved roads really is as good as AWD without snows then I'll be less worried for sure
Then in your case I would get AWD, the thing with FWD is good for your average snow fall but if you have to drive a lot under all weather conditions and come across an unplowed road FWD will not get you through snow tires or not, with AWD and snow tires you have a chance at getting through.

AWD can always be made better by adding snow tires, FWD with snow tires will be equivalent to AWD with all seasons.

The one thing that Snow tires will be really noticeable is for breaking, the difference in breaking with snow tires vs all season is unreal.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Then in your case I would get AWD, the thing with FWD is good for your average snow fall but if you have to drive a lot under all weather conditions and come across an unplowed road FWD will not get you through snow tires or not, with AWD and snow tires you have a chance at getting through.

AWD can always be made better by adding snow tires, FWD with snow tires will be equivalent to AWD with all seasons.

The one thing that Snow tires will be really noticeable is for breaking, the difference in breaking with snow tires vs all season is unreal.
FWD with snow tires is far better than AWD with all seasons. Not that I disagree with your assertion of AWD with snow tires being the best of both worlds. But I would much rather drive my FWD civic with snow tires than my AWD RAV4 with A/S tires in snow.

Snow tires give you control, what would you rather have, two wheels with traction or 4 wheels slipping?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
FWD with snow tires is far better than AWD with all seasons. Not that I disagree with your assertion of AWD with snow tires being the best of both worlds. But I would much rather drive my FWD civic with snow tires than my AWD RAV4 with A/S tires in snow.

Snow tires give you control, what would you rather have, two wheels with traction or 4 wheels slipping?
No snow would be my first choice 2nd definately snow tyres
Sponsored