First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As most of us understand the 4k/FWD option is no longer available. My question was this an economic or engineering decision by Ford? Obviously the AWD adds to the bottom line and I understand the difference between AWD vs FWD so what was the reason for the change to only 4k/AWD?
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
As most of us understand the 4k/FWD option is no longer available. My question was this an economic or engineering decision by Ford? Obviously the AWD adds to the bottom line and I understand the difference between AWD vs FWD so what was the reason for the change to only 4k/AWD?
Unless Ford says we will never know.
Maybe @AUsomTiger can chime in with qualified speculation, I doubt we have any informed speculation.

AUsomTiger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless Ford says we will never know.
Maybe @AUsomTiger can chime in with qualified speculation, I doubt we have any informed speculation.
That's a bit out of my specialty area. If you want to make a Maverick fly or blow it up, then I have some expertise :)

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Blowing stuff up, even usefully is just about getting the right number of carbon nitrogen and oxygen in the right order/number/ring never mind usefully is way harder than just blowing stuff up ;)

no I was thinking about the kind of management decisions that go into removing a product from a line.

rlc3854

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
[IMG alt="coolhip33"]https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/data/avatars/l/3/3216.jpg?1630089994[/IMG]
coolhip33
Ford Maverick 4k/FWD is now only 4k/AWD {filename}

Today at 1:17 PM
rlc3854 said:
I hope you won't be disappointed but what your dealer told you isn't true. You can contact Ford Marketing at 1-800-334-4375 for verification.
Hi @rlc3854 -

I won't be disappointed. The marketing department confirmed what my dealer told me. Spoke with Nakota and she confirmed that are no directives/notices in the system that advise that any orders placed prior to August 19th must be changed to AWD.

I advise anyone that was contacted by their dealer and told that they had to change their order and purchase AWD to contact Ford customer service or the marketing department and change their order back if that is what they really want. It is on "late availability" so if you can wait, call Ford.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Understand about early orders and keeping 4k/FWD but didn't know about late avail.
Still curious why they made the change in the first place.

OP
OP

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got a call from local Ford dealer yesterday (3 Sep) and was told I need to add AWD to my (early June) FWD/4k order. Didn't ask any questions but makes me wonder if those early orders are in fact not going to be made without adding AWD or did the dealer just want me to add AWD to speed up the process? At least he called so I said sure and there is a reason why they want you to add AWD even thought I don't know what it is but figure some of that extra cost will returned when its time to trade or sell and I don't want it to be a late avail or constraint item now.
Obviously I have not been given a build date and don't expect one anytime soon.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My totally unqualified guess - they are limiting choices in order to simplify production lines.

It only strikes us as strange because it came about mid-stream.

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Wonder why they can’t just standardize the whole process and make the hybrid AWD too. I know; it’s not as simple as that. Having ordered a hybrid, the one and only thing I wish they would have done was make it AWD - or at least make it optional.

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone who has ever towed knew this was the way it should have been from the beginning.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it's a liability issue. Imagine this is front wheel drive only. How much control you think the driver has? Steering and traction is a problem.

Ford Maverick 4k/FWD is now only 4k/AWD 1630771312627

OP
OP

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My totally unqualified guess - they are limiting choices in order to simplify production lines.

It only strikes us as strange because it came about mid-stream.
Anyone who has ever towed knew this was the way it should have been from the beginning.
I have been towing for 50 years but with rear wheel drive trucks and not FWD trucks so there will be a learning curve for me. My understanding of Maverick AWD is it's only applied when the truck thinks it's needed and not the driver? When AWD is not engaged I am still towing with FWD. I could be wrong but that how I interpret the owners manual.
I never get off the pavement and don't live in snow or mountains so not sure AWD was what I needed but am fine with adding it. For me it's really the question of why now is it required?

OP
OP

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can relate to the liability issue since we live in a litigious society where every other commercial on TV is some lawyer telling you he can get you more money. :(
Sponsored