Sponsored

Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences?

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow those are really cool, I'm going to order one for my RAV4 too.
Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have never used them before, but with the added height of the Maverick I would consider installing one to make oil changes easier. Would be interested to know if anyone here has experience with them.
Thanks,
Mike
I have used them on all my vehicles and they make changing the oil a breeze also as you control the flow of oil instead of getting your hand and floor covered in oil. I give them a 10

Deleted member 1157

I have never used them before, but with the added height of the Maverick I would consider installing one to make oil changes easier. Would be interested to know if anyone here has experience with them.
Thanks,
Mike
The stock drain screw has a magnetic tip to collect the metal shavings from the engine. How does the Fumoto valve collect the metal shavings?

Sponsored

II Kings 9:20

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, X5, Genesis AWD, Pacifica, MDX hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks,
Mike
I use them on every car possible. Love it and it makes oil changes a pleasure.

Applications are for cars with a horizontal drain. My '13 X5 (sold to Carvana last week for high $$) drain was on the bottom so no application. My '21 Rogue has an angled bolt. I didn't check to see if the Rogue is available. I don't like the idea of it angling down.

The one and only negative is you can't use a drain bolt magnet so put extra magnets on the filter.

It is a slower drain than a wide open hole so I go in the house and watch a bit of the game for 10 min and come back to complete the service.

Someone asked on the 300C forum 18 years ago "do the threads extend too far up into the pan and allow pooling of oil in the pan that doesn't drain"?
The pan is thickened and reinforced in the bolt area. I inserted a bent tip paper clip into the hole to reach the inner recess of the threads. Measured the length of the straightened paper clip at the level of the pan. It was longer than the threads on the Fumoto meaning the Fumoto will not extend beyond the inner threads of the pan and will not leave residual oil in the pan .

I have two that are nearly 20 years old. I remove them before selling and save for a future application. I'm hoping the unit from the Pacifica Van that I just sold to Carmax 2 weeks ago (for high $$) will fit the Mav.

I keep the original drain bolt and washer in a zip lock in the glove box. When I sell the car, I remove the Fumoto and I put my finger in the drain hole for the swap out and put the original bolt back in.
Have wife or Jr nearby just in case you fumble the original bolt and can't reach it.

Consider making your own collapse proof ramps. I don't trust the "Hecho en China" plastic ramps. I still use a backup hydraulic jack as a safety measure just in case Mr. Murphy shows up. Don't be a ham fisted jerk and back down the ramps before removing the safety catch

Ford Maverick Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences? IMG_2572

Ford Maverick Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences? IMG_2568

Ford Maverick Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences? IMG_2569

Ford Maverick Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences? IMG_2570

Ford Maverick Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences? IMG_2571

Last edited:

vertigo12369

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use them on every car possible. Love it and it makes oil changes a pleasure.

Applications are for cars with a horizontal drain. My '13 X5 (sold to Carvana last week for high $$) drain was on the bottom so no application. My '21 Rogue has an angled bolt. I didn't check to see if the Rogue is available. I don't like the idea of it angling down.

The one and only negative is you can't use a drain bolt magnet so put extra magnets on the filter.

It is a slower drain than a wide open hole so I go in the house and watch a bit of the game for 10 min and come back to complete the service.

Someone asked on the 300C forum 18 years ago "do the threads extend too far up into the pan and allow pooling of oil in the pan that doesn't drain"?
The pan is thickened and reinforced in the bolt area. I inserted a bent tip paper clip into the hole to reach the inner recess of the threads. Measured the length of the straightened paper clip at the level of the pan. It was longer than the threads on the Fumoto meaning the Fumoto will not beyond the inner threads of the pan and will not leave residual oil in the pan .

I have two that are nearly 20 years old. I remove them before selling and save for a future application. I'm hoping the unit from the Pacifica Van that I just sold to Carmax 2 weeks ago (for high $$) will fit the Mav.

I keep the original drain bolt and washer in a zip lock in the glove box. When I sell the car, I remove the Fumoto and I put my finger in the drain hole for the swap out and put the original bolt back in.
Have wife or Jr nearby just in case you fumble the original bolt and can't reach it.

Consider making your own collapse proof ramps. I don't trust the "Hecho en China" plastic ramps. ramps.

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg
I’ve got the same set of ramps! They work really well.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Doing an oil change right now and I was going to replace the stock drain plug with the Fumoto valve but I'm gonna need to got an adaptor that extends. The stock drain plug is recessed and the Fumoto valve won't fit. I guess it'll have to wait until the next oil change.

PaulJr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have one on our Fiesta and had one on a previous RAV4, great addition.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doing an oil change right now and I was going to replace the stock drain plug with the Fumoto valve but I'm gonna need to got an adaptor that extends. The stock drain plug is recessed and the Fumoto valve won't fit. I guess it'll have to wait until the next oil change.
That's annoying. I really wanted to get the one with nipple so you can attach a length of hose since the skid plate makes it a PITA to get to the plug.

Sponsored

mou

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid, '13 BRZ, '99 Impreza
I've had them on my past 2 cars and never had a problem with them. It's nice to just reach under to flip the switch, and do an oil change without any tools

jonathan1994

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Taurus Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Will you need the half inch extension or full 1 inch?

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Fumoto on my motorhome.....love it.
It's been on just over a year and zero problems/leaks.
When they become available I'll seriously consider putting one on my Maverick.
Fumoto already has them for the Maverick on their website 3 different ones to choose from fumoto.com

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The stock drain screw has a magnetic tip to collect the metal shavings from the engine. How does the Fumoto valve collect the metal shavings?
Does your drain plug look like this or is it different? 2.0L 2023 Ecoboost. This drain plug is not magnetic....you might be able to magnetize it but from the factory it does not collect metal savings.

This will..
I replaced the drain plug with a magnetic one from AutoZone and it is almost an exact match with a magnetic tip. Part number 653096 by Needa....M12-1.75 Magnetic - $7.00 I also installed a Fram 3600 TG oil filter and stuck a large Harbor Freight pickup magnetic to the bottom of it for the first couple of oil changes.

What bothers me about these quick oil plug changers is that they screw into the oil plug hole and are at an angle..usually off horizontal a little since manufacturers no longer put them on the bottom of the oil pans. They also have a barrel thickness to support the outer threads. So the inside lip of this device is sitting up above the inside floor of the oil pan, which is where particles accumulate over time that the oil filter doesn't catch. Removing the factory plug and the oil rush out may help remove these particles (magnetic oil plug definitely does) but if there is a lip on that oil plug opening it is going to prevent this along with retaining a small height of old oil in the pan. Anyone ever look into this to see if the quick release inside lip is actually sitting higher than the inside floor of the oil pan?

Ford Maverick Fumoto valves for DIY oil changes? Feedback, experiences? IMG_20230914_020208098

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone ever look into this to see if the quick release inside lip is actually sitting higher than the inside floor of the oil pan?
I think this was addressed in post #21 of this thread with a scientific paper clip measuring device. Does not appear to sit higher.
Sponsored