Oil Changes - Dealer or DIY

pac87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
Undecided
I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on Maverick maintenance, most of which are from the States.

I’m curious, how much is an oil change at a Ford dealership in your area? Canada and the US.

I drive an F150 currently and at a dealer an oil change is $115 Canadian, or $85 USD. It takes 7.7qt of oil. If I was to buy my own oil and filter it would be over $115 CAD. That’s using a good name brand oil (Mobile 1, Pennzoil) and not a budget brand.

Do those of you who do your own oil changes just like to use your preferred brand of oil and trust only yourself to do maintenance on your vehicle? Unless oil is much cheaper in the States, I don’t see a financial benefit to doing your own oil changes.
Sponsored

Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealers use under skill labor for oil changes even more so with our new world economy.
I know some have had body damage, stripped bolts, forgot to add oil and engine seized as some. For me they added 11qts of oil in my old 150. Between this and Jeep did me worse I’ll never visit a dealer unless it’s expensive repairs and no other choice

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just be careful with the oil you choose to use, Ford has specific oil spec requirements for the Ecoboost that many oils including Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra Platinum and standard Mobil 1 don't meet (yet). The oil spec they require is formulated to be less vulnerable to low speed preignition and to promote better wear of timing chain guides, both of which have been problems for ecoboost motors. Using non spec oil could present a problem in the event of a warranty claim.

DCP

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2018 Escape, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It usually cost me around $30 USD to perform a oil change on my Maverick using a Motorcraft filter and name brand oil (I buy extra when it is on sale). I like doing it myself so I know it is done right. And, with the Fumoto oil drain valve installed, it is a very simple process.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pac87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
Undecided
Just be careful with the oil you choose to use, Ford has specific oil spec requirements for the Ecoboost that many oils including Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra Platinum and standard Mobil 1 don't meet (yet). The oil spec they require is formulated to be less vulnerable to low speed preignition and to promote better wear of timing chain guides, both of which have been problems for ecoboost motors. Using non spec oil could present a problem in the event of a warranty claim.
Where would I find Fords oil requirements for the Maverick?

Sponsored

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where would I find Fords oil requirements for the Maverick?
Owners manual. Access online. It's available even if you don't own a Maverick.

DIY or dealer service is personal choice. I prefer dealer maintenance during warranty to maintain a service record and establish relationship with dealer. After that I do it myself.

If choosing DIY maintain record of receipts for oil and parts and document the oil changes.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a book in your glove compartment (cubby) called an "Owners Manual". You will find it has all kinds of good info! ;) (y)

I will let my dealer change the oil and rotate tires on my Ford Pass Points the first three times and to have no warranty quibbles. Not sure if I will change my own after that. I do KNOW I will not go to Jiffy Lube and similar quick oil change places. This forum is not for nightmare stories so will go no further on that!!

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DIY cost me $ 35.00 Mobil one filter and Mobil One Full synthetic 0/20 oil . I know it was done correct took about a Half an Hour along with a 15 Minute nap under the truck .💤💤👍😊. Also found out what a crappy job the dealer did on the Fire recall for the bottom Pan 👎☹😱
Ford Maverick Oil Changes - Dealer or DIY IMG_20220903_102219786~2
Ford Maverick Oil Changes - Dealer or DIY IMG_20221012_120757523

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All my Oil changes have been between 35-45 dollars American on my F150, 5.4 L I want to make a mess in my garage and the have to take old oil for disposal why???

Local Ford dealer where purchased.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I get the dealer to do it. The cost is not much different, and there is a record for warranty and ESP. My dealer does a very good job, most of the service employees have been there a decade or (much) more.

I am not a mechanic, I don't like it and I am not good at it.
Sponsored