Flat Towing

cjefirun

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maverick
Is there any special requirement that makes the Maverick flat towable, ?
Sponsored

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
I believe that it just needs to be a hybrid, from what I have read.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Reactions: Dad

KathyG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roadmaster already has an offer to provide a free baseplate and install to the 1st Maverick Hybrid owner who can bring one in and leave it for a few days for them to template a baseplate. They anticipate having commercial version ready a few months after template is completed.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Roadmaster already has an offer to provide a free baseplate and install to the 1st Maverick Hybrid owner who can bring one in and leave it for a few days for them to template a baseplate. They anticipate having commercial version ready a few months after template is completed.
Roadmaster is actually using two Mavericks, one to prototype which was finished earlier this month. Mine is the second Maverick scheduled on 1/31/22.

Sponsored

TopDawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there any special requirement that makes the Maverick flat towable, ?
Could you flat tow the 2.0 with the transmission in neutral and engine running? Spoke with a gentleman a few years ago who had over 50k miles towing his Taurus. My BIL who owns and operates a Mr. Transmission says that would work. AS well as my son who is an ASE Master technician stated the same. Only uses about 2 gal. fuel in 400 miles.

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your choice to try, hate to try to get warranty work done if needed.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could you flat tow the 2.0 with the transmission in neutral and engine running? Spoke with a gentleman a few years ago who had over 50k miles towing his Taurus. My BIL who owns and operates a Mr. Transmission says that would work. AS well as my son who is an ASE Master technician stated the same. Only uses about 2 gal. fuel in 400 miles.
Absolutely no, hybrid engine only. Different transmission. Kiss your warranty goodbye 👋

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're correct. I check Roadmaster's site a few days ago and they are still advertising for a donor to design the baseplate.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's a hard "NO". From Ford. Only the 2.5 Hybrid can be flat-towed.

Sponsored

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just remembered the 2018 Ford Taurus at least if not other years was approved for flat towing if it had the 3.5 Eco. You had a 65 mph speed limit on that one.

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting order of posts this morning. Gives new meaning to "Flat" towing. Do you need a hitch to tow the "flat?" :eek::unsure:

Ford Maverick Flat Towing 1642500906117

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting order of posts this morning. Gives new meaning to "Flat" towing. Do you need a hitch to tow the "flat?" :eek::unsure:

1642500906117.png
The "flat" refers to having all four wheels on the ground. Also called dinghy towing or toad towing. What's needed is a hitch, tow bar, base plate installed on the towed vehicle for hooking up the tow bar, a braking system that applies the brakes on the vehicle when you brake the towing vehicle, and light harness. It can run you around $4,000 - cheaper if you install yourself. I had my 2018 Chevy Colorado all prepped for flat towing when it inexplicably caught fire and exploded. Also caught my house on fire. Brutal stuff. Thus, my purchase of the Maverick Hybrid.

john218

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Mercedes C300
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The "flat" refers to having all four wheels on the ground. Also called dinghy towing or toad towing. What's needed is a hitch, tow bar, base plate installed on the towed vehicle for hooking up the tow bar, a braking system that applies the brakes on the vehicle when you brake the towing vehicle, and light harness. It can run you around $4,000 - cheaper if you install yourself. I had my 2018 Chevy Colorado all prepped for flat towing when it inexplicably caught fire and exploded. Also caught my house on fire. Brutal stuff. Thus, my purchase of the Maverick Hybrid.
My poor attempt at humor :eek: