Loball

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Hello Low-ball,
I have the Roadmaster base plates with the old brake buddy brake system installed on my XL Hybrid. There is a rubber grommet on the firewall, drivers side which is easily removed and can easily be modified with a hole to slip in a wire or cable if needed.
Did you do the installation or have it done? I decided to try it myself and am wondering whether to tap in to the Maverick wiring for lights or to add a bulb and socket to each tail light avoiding possible problems with the factory wiring? The Roadmaster system I have ordered comes set up for either option.
Sponsored

Cruzer01

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you do the installation or have it done? I decided to try it myself and am wondering whether to tap in to the Maverick wiring for lights or to add a bulb and socket to each tail light avoiding possible problems with the factory wiring? The Roadmaster system I have ordered comes set up for either option.
I had a truck accessory shop do the installation on the base plate and universal diode lite kit provided by roadmaster when I ordered the baseplates. I added the breakaway kit and wired it through that grommet I spoke about. Roadmaster was very helpful in the ordering of the appropriate base plate and light wiring kit. Also added the rubber caps when tow bar is not on for a clean look.

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux!!!, E450 Lazy Daze Motorhome
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi, i can send pics this weekend. I did not do the install. the brake cable goes from the brake cable thru an existing hole in the firewall directly in front of it. I will have to see how it is routed. I also had a brake away cable installed, it is hard to see as i folded it back, but it's red on the right side of the pic.
Mike,
Were you able to get a picture of the cable where it attaches to the brake inside the cab? I see the grommet/hole in the firewall, but it is off to the side a bit, not directly behind the brake pedal. I'll be doing the install and want to make sure I understand fully how to connect the brake and brake away cables before I leap into this.

thanks

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s my setup with roadmaster baseplate, and I’m using a ready brute elite ll tow bar from NSA tow bars with brake assist.
Chicago Mike, can you post a closeup pic of how they fastened the Ready Brake cable to a metal part at the front of your Maverick. THANKS

Last edited:

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the manual it definitely gives the ok to flat tow the hybrid up to 70mph with no time constraints however it also gives directions for ‘emergency flat towing’ with what seems to be the same procedure, and it is severely limited. What am I missing?

Sponsored

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the manual it definitely gives the ok to flat tow the hybrid up to 70mph with no time constraints however it also gives directions for ‘emergency flat towing’ with what seems to be the same procedure, and it is severely limited. What am I missing?
Probably the emergency flat towing is for the EB engine.

SuperDave71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No.

Post edited, check owners manual for complete instructions.

Last edited:

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are missing the complete instructions of how to recreational tow instructions on pg 288 that deals with time constraints of six hours and how to cycle through the gears, see
below. I suggest you delete your comment so no one damages their hybrid by following them.

Ford Maverick Flat towing a Maverick? C0A301DC-BFB9-4F33-9212-6AB4C8ECC33C

Last edited:

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your install is very unobtrusive. We'll done! In the 3rd pic are you leaving the tow bar on the toad? I've never tried that and have always left it on the RV.
The newer direct mount Roadmaster is designed to be left attached to the motorhome versus leaving on the vehicle blocks radiator airflow.

Last edited:

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably the emergency flat towing is for the EB engine.
perhaps it may have to do with the lack of a flat towing baseplate being installed, so a safety concern. Flat towing an EB engine is on the same page, note no neutral tow option.
Ford Maverick Flat towing a Maverick? DA53A20C-6D55-4E4A-8BAA-160C7E6F886A

Sponsored

Xbbqpitmaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Kia Seltos S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too am just patiently awaiting my hybrid to be able to tow it behind our motor home. We are presently towing a Honda CR-V which is an easy to tow vehicle as well. We have e-bikes which will be easier to put in the back of the truck too, along with the bbq smoker…

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Chicago Mike, can you post a closeup pic of how they fastened the Ready Brake cable to a metal part at the front of your Maverick. THANKS
Sent you photos in PM Dennis…let me know if you need any more pics.

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello all I am a new member and am expecting delivery of a hybrid XLT next week. I purchased this vehicle specifically because it can be flat towed behind my motorhome with all four wheels down (per the owners manual). Anybody out there with experience towing a Maverick?​
Yep I flat tow mine, PM if if you need any info.

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sent you photos in PM Dennis…let me know if you need any more pics.
@BDennis,
I wasn't able to find a ready made solution to attaching the cable so I made this out of 2 Strongtite A21Z reinforcing angles found at Home depot. I cut the one end and drilled both to make the right size holes and riveted them together. I also painted it black. I'll attach it to the little tab near the center of the base plate with a bolt and nylock nut. It will rest on the top of the base plate and stick out to the front of the grill opening. This is where the Ready Brake cable connector will be attached.

Maybe you or @Chicago Mike can help with where to attach the Ready Stop red ratchet box. I still haven't got that one figured out.

Ford Maverick Flat towing a Maverick? PXL_20221123_164617880

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is a simple and elegant solution as I can see that vertical predrilled upright tab dead center on the baseplate. No rivet gun here but I could take something slightly thicker, bend it in a vise to achieve the same affect. The other option is to do what you did but use two bolts and nuts as long as they cleared the 1.5” section of the baseplate. I like that you made it long enough to give the cable more room to curve forward.
I’ll post a pic where my ReadyBrake breakaway red box is installed.
Sponsored

Last edited: