Sponsored

Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids.

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™m the first order to be processed at my dealership, and they had 20-25 orders to process in addition. Mine is EB, so weā€™ll see.

PMCreation

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CMax with Maverick Lariat ordered
How many "back up" orders are out there making the overall numbers mean nothing? If 50% of the orders will not be delivered due to someone ordering 2 with no intentions of ever taking 2, then there should be a substantial number for sale later in 2023.

RLader

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's the thing though. A Day 3 order might as well be a day 300 order given how quickly there were going in. My dealer put in 112 the first night and they aren't a huge dealer. If you waited until day 3, you will be waiting a while. So, the hope is Ford set the retail limits to be what they can actually build.
I went and asked my dealer how many Mavericks they got last year vs. how many they ordered. Just an attempt to judge the chance of success.

Sponsored

First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Can't wait until Toyota takes Ford's lunch. This is coming from someone who ordered 2 maverick's for my family.

Until competitors join the market and Ford bleeds profit on these models. Nothing will change. Bronco and Maverick seem harder to get than a Ferrari or lambo these days. Shame on Ford. Enough with excuses.
Why not just get a Prius then?

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did Ford not see that the hybrid would be the most popular flavor? -THAT- is what sets the Maverick apart and puts it in a niche of its own. What other hybrid are you going to get in the low $20K price range? What other vehicle gets 40+mpg? If I wanted a standard ICE vehicle I could have a Ranger, a Colorado, a Frontier, a Canyon, or a Ridgeline. Oh yeah, don't forget the Santa Cruz.

Ford said the hybrid was the "standard" engine and so one has to imagine they had some clue that's where the demand would be. So should this 80% of orders surprise anyone? I can only believe Ford would build an 80/20 Hybrid/Ecoboost mix to match demand IF they had the batteries, chips, and other parts to do so.

I've waited also a year now for my Maverick Hybrid order to be scheduled, have converted to a 2023 order, and will wait another year if I have to. If I have to keep driving a gas-engined vehicle I might as well just stick with my 4WD 2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLT, which in many ways is more robust, capable, and comfortable than a Maverick Ecoboost will ever be. If I'm buying new, it has to be a Hybrid. Period.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How did Ford not see that the hybrid would be the most popular flavor? -THAT- is what sets the Maverick apart and puts it in a niche of its own. What other hybrid are you going to get in the low $20K price range? What other vehicle gets 40+mpg? If I wanted a standard ICE vehicle I could have a Ranger, a Colorado, a Frontier, a Canyon, or a Ridgeline. Oh yeah, don't forget the Santa Cruz.

Ford said the hybrid was the "standard" engine and so one has to imagine they had some clue that's where the demand would be. So should this 80% of orders surprise anyone? I can only believe Ford would build an 80/20 Hybrid/Ecoboost mix to match demand IF they had the batteries, chips, and other parts to do so.

I've waited also a year now for my Maverick Hybrid order to be scheduled, have converted to a 2023 order, and will wait another year if I have to. If I have to keep driving a gas-engined vehicle I might as well just stick with my 4WD 2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLT, which in many ways is more robust, capable, and comfortable than a Maverick Ecoboost will ever be. If I'm buying new, it has to be a Hybrid. Period.
Ford doesn't want to leave dollars on the table. It wants to manufacture and sell every hybrid that was preordered and then some on top of the ICE orders. It just comes down to what Ford can build. The lithium shortage is hurting everyone, including power tool manufacturers. No one can reliably get their hands on batteries right now. Even some of the Tesla models have delivery dates of June 2023.

Ford set the rate at 35% of their projected capacity because they don't think they can do better until the supply chain works itself out. Unlike Tesla, they can at least build something while they wait for more batteries.

Sponsored

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can't wait until Toyota takes Ford's lunch. This is coming from someone who ordered 2 maverick's for my family.

Until competitors join the market and Ford bleeds profit on these models. Nothing will change. Bronco and Maverick seem harder to get than a Ferrari or lambo these days. Shame on Ford. Enough with excuses.
We all know that the main appeal for most buyers is the hybrid drivetrain. For the 2022 MY Ford made the hybrid the least expensive optionā€¦ā€¦and oh by the way you could have the EB for an up charge.

The hybrids are what Ford wants to produceā€¦ā€¦but they canā€™t.
For 2023 they made both drivetrains the same price because they can make the EB engines. They really shot themselves in the foot and should have price the hybrid higher knowing they couldnā€™t produce the quantity compared to the EB.

Most people in the market for this truck settled for the EB because they couldnā€™t get the hybrid.

Wayyyyy back in 2021 when I ordered a 2022 Hybrid if the EB was the lowest priced option I may have considered it. However I want the hybrid and nothing else will do. If I canā€™t get the hybrid then I will move to a different brand.

McSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
We all know that the main appeal for most buyers is the hybrid drivetrain. For the 2022 MY Ford made the hybrid the least expensive optionā€¦ā€¦and oh by the way you could have the EB for an up charge.

The hybrids are what Ford wants to produceā€¦ā€¦but they canā€™t.
For 2023 they made both drivetrains the same price because they can make the EB engines. They really shot themselves in the foot and should have price the hybrid higher knowing they couldnā€™t produce the quantity compared to the EB.

Most people in the market for this truck settled for the EB because they couldnā€™t get the hybrid.

Wayyyyy back in 2021 when I ordered a 2022 Hybrid if the EB was the lowest priced option I may have considered it. However I want the hybrid and nothing else will do. If I canā€™t get the hybrid then I will move to a different brand.
Yes, I'm signed up and ready for a Maverick, but I have been looking at other vehicle makers as a backup. The Maverick is a cool little truck, and I want one, but I'll not wait forever for one. I've been looking at the Tuscon Hybrid and the Rav4 Hybrid as potentials on my backup plan. Hopefully Ford can fill their orders in 2023.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Same boat, waiting only for a hybrid, and until it shows up I'll try and keep my 2002 Explorer XLS rolling.

TKranbuhl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My XLT EcoBoost came in April. Love it. Once a week I'm asked what is it, do you like it? My wife drives a Lexus Hybrid. I won't ride in it, the starting and stopping is not normal. She bought and paid for it so I don't care. Keeping my Maverick for life, mine or the truck's whichever comes first.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would someone get a Prius if someone wants a hybrid small truck? Ford has only been building cars for over 100 years. Still not enough time to figure out logistics.
And Toyota 85 years yet still is cutting hundreds of thousands of vehicles from production estimates.
Sponsored