Sponsored

Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or they could offer hybrid customers the choice to switch to an EB. I would take that rather than no truck at all.
I'm hybrid or bust at this point. My wife's got the bolt EUV that she really likes and I still have a perfectly fine rx350 to drive next stop would be a phev ranger that would be sweet. I sold my volt because it was starting to bug me getting in and out of a low car. But it was super fun to drive and great EV range. PHEV ranger with 30+ miles would be awesome.
Sponsored

Fastfoord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know for where the 35/65 split came from but I speculate it is derived solely from the amount of batteries they could source.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Spot on assessment, and the actual reality of the situation.

Ford doesn't care to satisfy consumers of a low profit vehicle.
Why do you think that? Ford's target market is those who have never owned a truck before. It's a gateway drug. Suddenly people realize how handy a truck is and when they go to replace it, they buy an F-150 so they have more room. By then, even F-150 should have a regular hybrid option. That doesn't work if Ford ignores the Maverick outright.

They aren't selling you a Maverick. They are selling you a future F-150. You just don't know it yet.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't know for where the 35/65 split came from but I speculate it is derived solely from the amount of batteries they could source.
Batteries for a hybrid are exponentially smaller than EV's or PHEV. They are not particularly large batterys. Prius has a 4.4kwh battery vs 50-82 kwh in a tesla model 3. Unlikely to be a large constraint unless Ford just doesnt want to build more of them.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why do you think that? Ford's target market is those who have never owned a truck before. It's a gateway drug. Suddenly people realize how handy a truck is and when they go to replace it, they buy an F-150 so they have more room. By then, even F-150 should have a regular hybrid option. That doesn't work if Ford ignores the Maverick outright.

They aren't selling you a Maverick. They are selling you a future F-150. You just don't know it yet.
Agreed. This is the same company that's had the best-selling vehicle in America for 30+ years in the F-150. It's been tops in the truck category for 40 years. They can say what they want about this low inventory, high profit "model", which has always been a fluke of circumstance not a business plan, but now they've seen that's just a pile of money for the dealers. Ford wants to sell in volume on their own terms.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Batteries for a hybrid are exponentially smaller than EV's or PHEV. They are not particularly large batterys. Prius has a 4.4kwh battery vs 50-82 kwh in a tesla model 3. Unlikely to be a large constraint unless Ford just doesnt want to build more of them.
It is the batteries. Even hand tool manufacturers are having issues sourcing them and they use smaller batteries than hybrids. It's a global lithium shortage.

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does dodge/chrysler offer any fuel efficient vehicles? Trucks/Jeeps and Hellcats are all i see.
No clue I wouldn’t consider any of their products so I haven’t kept up with them.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does dodge/chrysler offer any fuel efficient vehicles? Trucks/Jeeps and Hellcats are all i see.
No clue I wouldn’t consider any of their products so I haven’t kept up with them.
Pacifica offers a hybrid variant. Jeep offers PHEVs and is working on an EV. Dodge itself is going full EV. Ram is working on a Lightning competitor but is keeping the rest of the trucks ICE. The European brands all offer hybrids or EVs.

WANTMYMAVERICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black Maverick Lariat Hybrid BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick will be my first truck. So I totally agree. I currently drive a Honda Element. I love this car because of its utility and everything I can do with it. I have been looking for an alternative for about a year now and the Maverick checks all the boxes and more. But I doubt I will upgrade to an F-150 UNLESS it's an EV or hybrid capable of 40+mpg.

bigshmoop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Plymouth Satellite, 2023 Toyota 4Runner ORP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I suspect Ford has allocated just enough computer chips to Mavericks to bring their fleet EPA average to a certain target, then the rest go to money-makers like F150 and Broncos...
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not like they're doing a bang up job delivering those models either.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
Except for the Mustang Ford recently stop making cars and now only makes SUVs and truck. Apparently one target market for the Maverick is loyal Ford Buyers who in the past would have bought something like a Focus or Fusion.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

True if they cant they cant. I am off to another vehicle then.

I just hope they don't SAY they will build them then not. So lets say they have a 50K orders of the Hybrid. They know they can only build 30K. Cancel the last 20k of orders NOW. Don't let people out there hanging. that will build long resentment .
In a perfect world, that would be great, and eliminate a lot of false hope.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is the batteries. Even hand tool manufacturers are having issues sourcing them and they use smaller batteries than hybrids. It's a global lithium shortage.
Right, I hear you. But I struggle with how any EVs or PHEVs (which require very large amounts of lithium) can realistically be produced if Ford is having problems even getting a little 1.1kwh battery for the Maverick.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Right, I hear you. But I struggle with how any EVs or PHEVs (which require very large amounts of lithium) can realistically be produced if Ford is having problems even getting a little 1.1kwh battery for the Maverick.
They aren't. Order a Tesla today and you pick it up next spring at the earliest. Everyone is trying to get as much as they can. There is new battery tech coming and with the rate of investment, the economies of scale will eventually take hold. Right now, demand has just outstripped supply.

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

@fordvideoguy stated in a recent livestream that he talked to a Ford rep about Hybrid constraints and this rep said that they couldn't get enough of the Hybrid powertrains cranked out. Maybe it's the battery that's the bottleneck, or maybe it's the engine itself.
Sponsored